• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never work at Wally World

I'm just hoping my brother makes it to retirement before they can pull the rug out from under him. He's right on the cusp of full-time employment where if they reduce his hours any more he'll lose all his benefits.

Like most everyone else there he never knows what his work hours will be from one week to the next. That's got to be beyond frustrating.

Interestingly enough NBC is about to launch a sitcom that is an obvious parody of Walmart.

In a former life of mine that I don’t enjoy talking about very much: I took a job with them at one of their shipping & warehouse distribution centers pulling orders and loading trucks and it was hands down / without question the worst job I’ve ever had! It had nothing to do with the required work, the hours, the working conditions, the facility or the pay but rather the way that they treated their employees (or team mates as we were called). I’ve worked some hard, nasty, dirty jobs in my life but they all played out for me in a tolerable fashion as long as I showed up every day, kept my mouth shut and worked harder than everyone else, but that mantra didn’t seem to fly at Wal Mart. While I’ve never been in prison or locked up in a chicken coop, I can imagine after working there for 1.2 years that I now know what it’ll be like if I ever do because that was the social experience that I had working for them. They essentially hire 120 people for the work that 100 could do and then put you in perpetual ‘competition’ with each other while they continually fire people for under performing while hiring more at the same time. ie: you’re in a constant state of threat of losing your job when you under perform in comparison to everyone else..... What happens inherently then in a situation like this where self preservation is paramount (as it does in prison & chicken coops) is when groups of your ‘teammates’ start forming gangs that protect each other, collectively manipulate the system, steal and hoard the easy jobs and generally sabotage all the outsiders so that their production numbers are higher than everyone else's.

Sorry for the rant, but this post brought up some bad memories for me.

In agreeance with DarkLady 110% though: Never work at Wally World !
You might consider putting Amazon in the same category. I've heard much of the same things from ex-Amazon warehouse employees and temps.

I'm just hoping my brother makes it to retirement before they can pull the rug out from under him. He's right on the cusp of full-time employment where if they reduce his hours any more he'll lose all his benefits.

Like most everyone else there he never knows what his work hours will be from one week to the next. That's got to be beyond frustrating.

Interestingly enough NBC is about to launch a sitcom that is an obvious parody of Walmart.
I lasted precisely one week at a Sam's Club back in August. If there exists a hell, that place sure was.

From what I can make out, wally world seems to be a lot like the Australian Kmart. (Or at least my local store.) It is cheap and nasty and populated by staff who are rude and apathetic, and loud obese people who spit on the flloor. It is also a sensory nightmare. High ceilings, flouros, psychedelic colours, and checkouts in the MIDDLE of the store. WTF? I happily shop at a more expensive chain, but even other cheap chains have a better aura. <shiver>

I happily shop at a more expensive chain, but even other cheap chains have a better aura. <shiver>

Ironically that seems to reflect Walmart's latest quarterly results. Competitors are hurting them. They can play low-ball only so far...and online sales aren't their bailiwick. I'm not sure how or if they can make up the difference. Some financial experts say it may take a few years to get back on top, if possible.

Of course if a recession occurs again, Walmart will probably be tickled pink.

I've never passed the personality test. So, I could not work at Wal-Mart.

Fortunately, I don't need a job there. I did want a job there between 2007-2009.

I've never passed the personality test. So, I could not work at Wal-Mart.

Fortunately, I don't need a job there. I did want a job there between 2007-2009.
The only reason you "failed" the personality test was because you were honest. I gave them the ******** that they wanted to hear. I lasted 2 weeks.

You might consider putting Amazon in the same category. I've heard much of the same things from ex-Amazon warehouse employees and temps.
The Sunday New York Times did a big piece on Amazon a few months ago (the online version seems to have been taken down), and it sounds like Aspie Hell.

I've applied to them multiple times in the last 5 years(at several different stores in both California and Arkansas), and recently had my first interview with them... In a way, I'm kind of glad they didn't hire me, I wasn't that thrilled about working Thanksgiving(any extra pay I would have received would have been immaterial, I feel one should have the choice of whether or not to work Thanksgiving or Christmas)...

In a former life of mine that I don’t enjoy talking about very much: I took a job with them at one of their shipping & warehouse distribution centers pulling orders and loading trucks and it was hands down / without question the worst job I’ve ever had! It had nothing to do with the required work, the hours, the working conditions, the facility or the pay but rather the way that they treated their employees (or team mates as we were called). I’ve worked some hard, nasty, dirty jobs in my life but they all played out for me in a tolerable fashion as long as I showed up every day, kept my mouth shut and worked harder than everyone else, but that mantra didn’t seem to fly at Wal Mart. While I’ve never been in prison or locked up in a chicken coop, I can imagine after working there for 1.2 years that I now know what it’ll be like if I ever do because that was the social experience that I had working for them. They essentially hire 120 people for the work that 100 could do and then put you in perpetual ‘competition’ with each other while they continually fire people for under performing while hiring more at the same time. ie: you’re in a constant state of threat of losing your job when you under perform in comparison to everyone else..... What happens inherently then in a situation like this where self preservation is paramount (as it does in prison & chicken coops) is when groups of your ‘teammates’ start forming gangs that protect each other, collectively manipulate the system, steal and hoard the easy jobs and generally sabotage all the outsiders so that their production numbers are higher than everyone else's.

Sorry for the rant, but this post brought up some bad memories for me.

In agreeance with DarkLady 110% though: Never work at Wally World !
wow marmot that is such an accurate description of "menial" type jobs that pay less than 15 an hour. I too feel like companies over hire people and under pay them but I don't get how they think it is needed. I used to work jobs like that where I knew if I was left by myself I would get alot done (and did when I was) but then there would be some prick Manager that would talk down to you while just saying hello. I never get that.

Not sure how, but I lasted six months there as a cashier. Tried to tell them I had AS, but of course, they wouldn't listen. They tried to get me to go outside to push carts, but I was never properly trained, nor did I have that kind of stamina. I cared more about quality of service than speed, but all they wanted was speed. I remember having a meltdown in the break room, and I had one coworker that supported me through the good (and very little of it) and the bad. But yeah, too many people, those god-awful florescent lights, too much noise, and very little to no quality control.

I'm amazed I haven't had to have an ambulance called due to the panic and anxiety I feel anytime I go into that hellhole. I just can't stand being around that many people, and I also can't stand bumper-to-bumper traffic in the checkout line. I keep at least a 5-foot gap between me and the person in front of me, but when someone gets right up behind me, I'll leave that line and find another one. I often find myself pacing back and forth along the front end until there's an empty register, just because I hate being crowded and I hate people (with the exception of family and a few close friends) invading my personal space. But again, I think the mantra of Wal-mart is people just don't care.

Last edited:
I lasted exactly one month at Wal Mart, as a cashier. The manager at this store is a huge jerk (I'd like to put in another term to describe him, but I'm trying to be polite), and between the customers and the noise from the televisions and screaming children who constantly run through the store, I couldn't deal with it at all. I had a couple of panic attacks, and pretty much after the last one, I knew I couldn't work there any more, so I quit.

I lasted exactly one month at Wal Mart, as a cashier. The manager at this store is a huge jerk (I'd like to put in another term to describe him, but I'm trying to be polite), and between the customers and the noise from the televisions and screaming children who constantly run through the store, I couldn't deal with it at all. I had a couple of panic attacks, and pretty much after the last one, I knew I couldn't work there any more, so I quit.

I can only imagine. Seems tough enough just as a patron to deal with all that for more than one hour at a time.

I have a hard time shopping there for even 15 minutes. Too many people, too much noise, the lighting, people crowding me in line. Too much.

I can't stand even shopping at Wal mart. I do it here because in the small town closest to my home, there is only a Wal mart and Brookshires and, a feed store so, if it isn't groceries and, I need to get it NOW, it has to come from Wal Mart.

I avoid it if I can possibly wait for either an online order to arrive or, a trip to the city to shop at better stores. To add to the alrady bad envirment inside a Wal mart, the one here is close to a paper mill and, smells like cooking paper inside the store. (If you don't know, that is similar to the stench of cooking cabbage but, ten times as strong.)

New Threads

Top Bottom