• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Neurologist Appointment

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
This appointment I have been waiting for 6 months. Tomorrow I will see what happens.

There are many people over the years thought I had AS. My foster mother also told me I did get tested at age 16 but the neurologist concluded I don't have it. 3 years ago I had a non formal assessment and it was concluded I have it. The problem is, because it's not a formal assessment, I can't access any special services until I get an official assessment. Tomorrow I will bring the non formal assessment along with my official assessment done on my learning disability. Even if it concluded I don't have it again, I do still have many people wanting to offer me support so I can succeed in life. That's the goal as I had enough of struggling. I let you know how the appointment turns out.

This appointment I have been waiting for 6 months. Tomorrow I will see what happens.

There are many people over the years thought I had AS. My foster mother also told me I did get tested at age 16 but the neurologist concluded I don't have it. 3 years ago I had a non formal assessment and it was concluded I have it. The problem is, because it's not a formal assessment, I can't access any special services until I get an official assessment. Tomorrow I will bring the non formal assessment along with my official assessment done on my learning disability. Even if it concluded I don't have it again, I do still have many people wanting to offer me support so I can succeed in life. That's the goal as I had enough of struggling. I let you know how the appointment turns out.
All the best on your appointment Penguin :)

*hugs*

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow the penguin. I hope you can get a conclusive result.

I did not when they were looking for epilepsy after my collapses. I have not collapsed in 3 years now. I now put it down to a major anxiety attack.

Wish you all the very best and what a good idea to bring extra information along with you and it is good to know that you have a support system going on ie some who want you to succeed.

I guess I ought to find out what options or if there are any, for me, getting officially diagnosed.

Way to go. There's been some changes as more medical people, as well as more ordinary people, engage with neurodiversity. Speaking as someone with a lot of the comorbid conditions, as many aspies have, it's a patient process to pick out which combination of things explains the best about how your mind is put together and how to use it to get what you want from life.

I've been very moved by some of your posts and look forward to supporting your journey, if I can.

My appointment started off them asking some information about myself. I showed them my learning disability assessment conducted 10 years ago. They also wanted to know about my social skills and done some brief test. The neurologist agrees with my learning disability assessment and the key areas I struggle with the most commcuntation and processing speed. They are going to make a recommendation letter stress accommodation is important in the workplace.

Though they might be a possibility I am on the autism spectrum, my case is not extreme compare to other people. A more in depth testing could be done, but he felt the letter he writing with the above recommendations is more important. I can agree. With this new letter, I will reference that with my learning disability assessment to explain to Employment Nova Scotia I do need additional time for the Self Employment Business program.

The next step is working with my advocate on how to present myself to Employment Nova Scotia. I know documentation is very important to have to get accommodations in life. The part that sucks, for those have no formal documentations. Also, getting a formal assessments are very expensive. If you're not part of a family that haves money, or don't know how to access free resources, then you could stuck of the burden to struggle in life. The last resort is finding a good advocate for yourself that know how to find resources for you and/or can stand up for you. There may be some hate depending on people but it's very hard to advance in life doing everything alone.

As for me, I lived long enough to know what I'm and not good at. Based on this, for the things I'm not good at, I ensure I seek for help. Note you might not get the right help on the first, second or even the third try. For some, it will just take longer. The key thing is not giving up. I have been struggling for 5 years in Nova Scotia to get decent help. I'm glad things are coming into place and many see the talent I have. They know I just need some guidance and I can excel well as a software developer. So to closing, please don't give up on hope.

That sounds great for you the penguin, it is so much better when you are making forward progress. I aggree a lot of the time we need guidance to move forward.

Today I got my letter from the Neurologist. In the opening and closing of the letter he reference me as a pleasant gentleman.

My Moca score is 24 out of 30. It was reference I have difficulties with repetition, verbal fluency and verbal memory. Also things that was written in my LD assessment when I was 22 haven't change much since the last 10 years.

Like I said in my last comment, it might be possible I'm autism spectrum. He feels if I did have in depth neurophysical testing I might get the same results that is already written in my LD assessment 10 years ago. He does reference near the end of the letter it is recommended for an employer to give me accommodations regarding my LD. I did wrote in my last comment the next steps I'm taking. Me and my advocate are working on a plan to present my self to Employment Nova Scotia. I will write a new posts once I learned what is the out come for the extension for the business program.

that all sounds very positive for you The penguin.
Hopefully. I lived in Nova Scotia for 5 years and it hard to get accommodations. I also lived in Toronto for 5 years and it takes less than 6 months to get accommodation. I would hope of the million people living in the province of Nova Scotia, someone is willing to give accommodations.

New Threads

Top Bottom