• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nervous socializing here?

Sarek

Why is it still nerve wrecking trying to make friends with a bunch of nice, welcoming people like y'all? It seems silly.

Just remember we are a long way away and we don't bite. You only need to socialize as much as you want. Nobody would want you to be stressed or unhappy.
Digital hugs on offer but not mandatory :)

Perhaps this thread here breaks the ice a bit for you though.

But as StephF said, we don't bite. There's no obligation either to socialize beyond your comfort zone.

Welcome Sarek, I was nervous too when I first came here as I was never very good at chatting on forums.
Folk here are like family now, so take your time.

New people are scary. But once you hang out with them for a while and get to know them, they're not new any more.

I was nervous making my first post here, but everyone was very welcoming. Now I am starting to recognise a few people, and I'm sure they will be friends soon.

Learned responses, I guess. When you've had so much trouble with something already, your brain thinks there's danger whether or not there's real danger. I tend to "expect the worst", but it's not often that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Heh, I ask myself that pretty often. I know why I get shy here, whenever I enjoy the company of a place I tend to hang around and haunt it like a ghost, and past experiences tell me I should visit no more than twice a day to avoid being told I'm too clingy or needy. And then I remember this is a forum full of Aspies who aren't afraid to visit nearly any thread they want as many times they want and are very unlikely to condemn me for doing the same. =)

Force of habit, I think. I've lurked on all the Aspie sites I could find and didn't post here until recently.. still a little anxious about the reactions I'll get, but so far my experience has always been of a positive and friendly vibe, familiar faces, support.. and the realisation that everyone here is just like me! :D
Keep posting, it gets easier :cherryblossom:

New Threads

Top Bottom