• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ND friend turning into a Neo-Nazi. Help.

Bigpumkin

Hi, I'm Bigpumkin, an NT person who lives in a high school dorm (familial setting) in Germany with a Chinese student who has autism. Recently his obsession has turned from trains and frustration with French transportation related strikes towards anti refuge talk.

It has become increasingly clear that he is primarily bothered by the fact that these refugees are not ethnically German, and his comments about race differences have drastically increased to the point where they are sometimes severely racist.

Currently, the only way to stop him from ranting about Muslims and other immigrants is to tell him that I don't want to talk about politics right now, but of course that does not address his views. A big part of the problem seems to be the language barrier. He has been know to say things like "Jews are the most pitiful and worst race" when he really means that we should pity the Jews the most because the worst things have happened to them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bigpumkin

My brother has gone through similar changes.

Make sure you listen, remain calm, offer reasonable counter-arguments in a non-argumentative manner, don't push if he becomes agitated, try to concede some points whenever possible, offer information sources that may be helpful if he wants to research a point you bring up... and stuff like that.

Although it's annoying, maybe like you said, it's the language barrier, or that he's racist because he doesnt know the full story.

If you have the energy to deal with him, maybe you can try to tell him the better sentence if it's language barrier, or tell him that it's better not to say like that, if he's racist or because it's language barrier.

If you dont have the energy or want to save your energy, you can just nod and change topic like you did. He may go on with the same thing for a moment, but we dont want to turn it into a tiring debate.. It must be hard on you to always hear the things you dont like from your friend. I hope things'll get better for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom