• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Name change feature ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I dunno if this has been already suggested or discussed and I apologize if it has already, but I wondering about a feature to change your username ?

I figure this might be a handful for Moderators or Administrators so maybe set some rules that a user must meet before he or she has the option to change their username ? Also what about making it mandatory to have their old username displayed somewhere on their posts or in their profile to prevent confusion or abuse ? Why not have a limit on the number of times they could change their username or a waiting period before they could change it again ?

I was never good at coming up with a good username (quickly on the spot) and sometimes I feel like I don't seem goofy at times but moody.

This is just a though and I'm not sure if the software that runs this forum site has that capability or could be changed due to those pesky proprietary conditions which would prevent a forum site owner from making or adding new functions and etc ...

Someone here DID change names once; I forget who it was who did so. Maybe it is something you have to contact a Mod for?

There are criteria for changing usernames: either you've made fewer than ten posts on the forum, or you subscribe to the VIP status; and in both cases, I think, you are only allowed to change it once.

It's not a particularly good idea anyway, as there have been instances where folks changed their name and I couldn't figure out who was whom. :p

Someone here DID change names once; I forget who it was who did so.

Kelly did, but she has her previous username in her signature.

As for the question itself;

2. Username changes will only be allowed in the following cases: You have less than 10 posts or you are a V.I.P. member.

Found here; General Rules & Guidelines | AspiesCentral.com

Though yes, I agree with Wyv. Figuring out who is who with username changes tends to be confusing. Actually, I've even thought Kelly was a new member at some point quite recently, since she wasn't that active for a while. I got somewhat confused when I found out she had a lot of posts and was a longtime member... until I realized who she was.

But I can understand the entire "I can't think of a username on the spot, so I'm stuck with something I don't like that much". But I guess it is what it is. It's just a username on a forum... well, for most it is at least. I wouldn't put too much value on it being more fancy tbh. People know you through a certain username and perhaps avatar, and that by itself tends to be an easy way to identify people on the forum (it's also why I've been a bit reluctant to create and change my own avatar)

I have a habit of not really reading the rules and etc :/ I should probably start now though :| Hmm, would it be RTFGR&G ? :p

Last edited:
Kelly did, but she has her previous username in her signature.

As for the question itself;

2. Username changes will only be allowed in the following cases: You have less than 10 posts or you are a V.I.P. member.

Found here; General Rules & Guidelines | AspiesCentral.com

Though yes, I agree with Wyv. Figuring out who is who with username changes tends to be confusing. Actually, I've even thought Kelly was a new member at some point quite recently, since she wasn't that active for a while. I got somewhat confused when I found out she had a lot of posts and was a longtime member... until I realized who she was.

But I can understand the entire "I can't think of a username on the spot, so I'm stuck with something I don't like that much". But I guess it is what it is. It's just a username on a forum... well, for most it is at least. I wouldn't put too much value on it being more fancy tbh. People know you through a certain username and perhaps avatar, and that by itself tends to be an easy way to identify people on the forum (it's also why I've been a bit reluctant to create and change my own avatar)
Thanks. That was actually quite informative. I wasn't sure where to find this info so good thing you supplied it. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom