• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My son, the Aspie.

My son.

He freaks out and covers his ears when noises are too loud or bother him.

He cries when things move to quickly or fast around him.

He gets upset when plans change very drastically around him

When he gets excited he pulls his arms up to his chest like a little T-Rex

Everything in my son’s world is black or white there is no grey area.

He will take everything you say literally. Everything.

Dinosaurs. Anything and everything to do about dinosaurs, he wants to know about it. But more than likely, he already does J He would much rather sit and watch documentaries on when the Dinosaurs roamed Earth then any cartoon.

He doesn’t have any friends. He can’t even tell me any of the kids in his class’s name. But he does associate very kid to what color shirt they were wearing.

He makes small random noises a lot. Sort of like how a baby coo’s or babbles.

He loves on me like a cat, always has since he was a baby. He likes to rub his face all over mine.

He is always nervous or anxious. I wish I could get my boy to relax L

He is so brilliant in so many ways. But he is not grasping a lot of things in the classroom.

He isn’t like any of the other kids his age. Never has been. I have known since right before he turned 2, there was something different about him.

We don’t have an official diagnosis yet, we are being referred to the child psychologist. But his Pediatrician says we have a perfect example of Aspergers Syndrome. (Which I have always thought)

With everything that is different about my son, I wouldn’t have him any other way.

He does sound rather classic! I'm guessing his trouble in the classroom is the typical verbal communication issues?

I'd think there would be something wrong with my kid if he didn't like dinosaurs when he got older. =)

His problems in class ARE verbal communication issues. He sees the Speech Pathologist 3 times a week now. And oh, yes. Dinosaurs is an everyday all day topic with this crazy Kindergartener.

Jess, your son sounds just like my youngest.

He got into dinosaurs at four and could name them all, then it was astronomy (both of which I also did).

He would come home from primary school as say 'Had to go to the teachers office today'. The first time I panicked until I found out it was to help the teachers complete their crosswords :)

He's now 28, has a wonderful career, has never dated, and is an incredible soul.

As you say, wouldn't have 'em any other way.

The one thing I just dont think matches up with Aspergers is, he doesnt really have Meltdowns per say. He gets very nervous and cries when things freak him out but hes very very easily calmed down and he stops. I never have to tell my son the word "no". He never really does anything out of line behavioral wise at all. Do all Aspies act out. Or can a trait be that they behave perfectly almost out of fear of doing something wrong like my son?

The one thing I just dont think matches up with Aspergers is, he doesnt really have Meltdowns per say. He gets very nervous and cries when things freak him out but hes very very easily calmed down and he stops. I never have to tell my son the word "no". He never really does anything out of line behavioral wise at all. Do all Aspies act out. Or can a trait be that they behave perfectly almost out of fear of doing something wrong like my son?

My son never lost his temper, as far as I know he is still the same. His calmness was often unnerving, especially in a crisis, and I have never seen him cry.

His sister, another aspie, is the total opposite.

Not all Aspies have meltdowns. Some do, some don't. I was/am one of those who didn't. In fact, even when people around me are getting upset and emotionally carried away, I stay calm. :cool:This sometimes led to me actually becoming annoying, as I pointed out to family members how foolish they were for freaking out.
I also was very well behaved, and did have a tendency when younger to be very afraid of doing the wrong thing. Now I still try to do the right thing, but the fear aspect has diminished with greater age.

Your son sounds like a sweet kid.

You son does sound rather typical.

If you have a good teacher, maybe he could adjust the tasks for your son so that they will include dinosaurs. If he likes coloring, a way to get him do stuff he doesn't want to could be to mix tasks he finds dull with pictures of dinosaurs that he can color. This works really well if the kid in question has a need to follow the other of the pages and doesn't like skipping tasks. Also, the instructions have to be very specific. If you're interested in tasks idea, I'm a bottomless well. :)

How is his behavior received by the other kids? If he's in kindergarten, I wouldn't worry too much about his interaction with other children as long as they aren't mean to him. I wasn't really interested in children at all in kindergarten, I got my first friend in first grade, and it was more than anything because she walked up to me and asked if I wanted to be her friend.

My son.

He freaks out and covers his ears when noises are too loud or bother him.

He cries when things move to quickly or fast around him.

He gets upset when plans change very drastically around him

When he gets excited he pulls his arms up to his chest like a little T-Rex

Everything in my son’s world is black or white there is no grey area.

He will take everything you say literally. Everything.

Dinosaurs. Anything and everything to do about dinosaurs, he wants to know about it. But more than likely, he already does J He would much rather sit and watch documentaries on when the Dinosaurs roamed Earth then any cartoon.

He doesn’t have any friends. He can’t even tell me any of the kids in his class’s name. But he does associate very kid to what color shirt they were wearing.

He makes small random noises a lot. Sort of like how a baby coo’s or babbles.

He loves on me like a cat, always has since he was a baby. He likes to rub his face all over mine.

He is always nervous or anxious. I wish I could get my boy to relax L

He is so brilliant in so many ways. But he is not grasping a lot of things in the classroom.

He isn’t like any of the other kids his age. Never has been. I have known since right before he turned 2, there was something different about him.

We don’t have an official diagnosis yet, we are being referred to the child psychologist. But his Pediatrician says we have a perfect example of Aspergers Syndrome. (Which I have always thought)

With everything that is different about my son, I wouldn’t have him any other way.
I believe that it is important to get that diagnosis and follow up after that. Asperger's is hard on young people and proper consoling can help a lot. This could help him go further with his education. With a proper education, there is no limit to what he could accomplish in his life. You said that you wouldn't have him any other way. Know this, sooner or later he will feel the same way.

I wouldn't worry about it. The closest thing I've had to a meltdown was after I hit my 20s, and both those times was from sensory overload. Not pleasant for those around me, I get very aggressive, don't blink, and keep constant eye contact rather than my usual of not being able to make eye contact. Very scary, from what I'm told. But they tone down the noise and stop poking me.

New Threads

Top Bottom