• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Parents Want Me Cured.

Since, surely, there isn't any debate that cures for illnesses are good, where are the actual arguments for Aspergers not being an illness? Oops, there aren't any! Suppose a psycopath doesn't want to be cured, is anybody saying they should be left, to go around murdering people? Presumably not! Would people try to present some reasoning, please? That's supposed to be something we're relatively good at.

You've not explained what your particular issues are, so I can only comment assuming you are a stereotypical Aspie. That assumes poor social skills, difficulty with facial expressions and perhaps some sensory troubles.

You need to understand the meaning of the word "disability" in the context it's used in to diagnose people. Most people with a diagnosis aren't innately disabled, but are disabled by their environment.

A well functioning society is a society that makes the best use of it's constituent parts. A poorly functioning society is one that sets up a system whereby certain groups of the population cannot contribute. The groups who cannot contribute are labelled disabled.

Do you honestly think that society could not provide jobs for people with Asperger's? Do you think a difficulty with facial expressions should prevent you from being employed? How many social situations in jobs are truly required?

If you reply to this with a disability of yours that is not induced by the environment you exist in. I'll accept that a cure should be available to you and that scientists should find one. If you are missing an arm, have a serious metabolic disorder or some sort of brain damage... talk's of a cure make a whole lot of sense.

If you however are a stereotypical aspie, I see no reason why your asperger's should be labelled an "Illness" and I see little reason for a cure. Why should you, or others with Asperger's be stigmatised and have huge amounts of pressure dumped upon them to 'cure' themselves, when it is society that is failing you?

Thanks, I'll try to get my parents to look at that & see what they say. I might have to copy & paste your post to show them; is that OK? In my case, it's not really work that's the problem, where there does seem to be help available. It's socially but I can't carry on without some social life! I've tried comparing AS to skin colour, etc but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks! If I can get them to the forum, I will but at least I could show them the post, if not. I'll try to get any reply in writing & post that. Might take awhile, though, as they're on holiday at the moment.

"Re e-mail AS & S Cure of 4/3/11.
We still maintain that we have almost nothing more to offer, but if you really want our evaluation it is that this is a well thought out argument carefully expressed.
You are not an automaton and can and do make all sorts of choices every day.
The life you aspire to must largely be formed by you and you can only expect limited help and advice from support workers and perhaps other Aspies. You must put in as much as you want to be returned as we all have to make an effort in life to co exist with one another and feel comfortable about it.
Seek for, not against arguments against!"
That's supposed to be some sort of answer? Anybody think they can translate it, please?

tell them good luck with that and whilst they are looking into it can they see if they can change Cooper into Gold. Tell them that both are equally likely and you have faith and you will start buying vast quantities of copper in expectation of their success

Yeah, on the whole, that's likely to be taken as 'sarky' &, tbh, I'd have to mean it to be, if I were to say it. I might respond like that to some people but I can assure you that it would not go down well with my parents. I have to assume they mean well with it but there seems no way to convince them of it being impossible to CURE AS. They seem to really see no difference between wanting a cure & wanting treatment/ help, etc, so that's probably the difficulty. It's easily claimed 'there's a difference', as I get on the receiving end of that far too often. Naturally, in any case, I can't, effectively, do that sort of 'arguing', so we're stuck.

And don't forget - conditions alone can be beautiful, in their own ways. Eradicating them will endanger diversity in minds and thoughts.

alright, just say to your parents what Temple Grandin said in youtube, autistic or asperger people have this brain that the connections between each sectors are like a bad cellphone connections, while in normal or many people the connections are fine, but, in asperger people, the phone connections on their interest subject is really good, it's like when Abraham has a 572 kbps internet line you have 1 gbps connections that's all, asperger people brain's is just wired differently.

Most of it relies on agreement that it's just different rather than whatever but that part isn't agreed! If it was, there'd be no need to say anything & you're not coming up with any actual arguments about that part, thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom