• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Music that calms and soothes you...

AGXStarseed

Does anyone here have any music you like listening to that makes you feel calm and/or 'at peace' with the world around you?

For me I've got a few. Of course, I'm limited to 5 embedded videos so I'll have to choose a small selection:

---

Celtic Woman - I love listening to the music by this Irish group. Their music consists of cover versions of different songs - such as "Orinoco Flow" by Enya or "You'll be in my Heart" by Phil Collins - as well as original songs such as "One World" and "The Call".
This song is a cover version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" - originally sung in the 1945 Broadway production 'Carousel' and used as an anthem for Liverpool FC in England and other sporting clubs - which I absolutely love.

Here's another of my favourite songs by the group. This one is "One World" and I love it because I feel it reminds us all of our worth in this world and what we have to offer, regardless of the cruel words of those who think otherwise.
Hope you enjoy it:

"We are the World" by USA for Africa: A charity song written by Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson, and perfromed by a super-group of numerous American artists which included both Richie and Jackson alongside others such as Stevie Wonder, Cyndi Lauper, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, Kenny Rogers and more.
This song just touches my heart. :)

"Through my Eyes" by Scott James: A song from an Autistic individual. Scott James is a former X-Factor contestant from Stockton-on-Tees in England who has used this song to raise Autism Awareness.
I love this song, and I feel that Scott has become a good role model for people with Autism. When he was asked about his appearance on the X-Factor in 2009, he said, "I'm proud to be autistic. I've met some incredible people with autism. I want to show the world that we can make a success of our lives".
Respect to you, Scott. :)

Various Disney Songs: Anyone who tells me I'm too old for a Disney film certainly has a very rigid way of thinking in my opinion. Some movies - regardless of who they are aimed for - are always going to be our favorites. How often do you savor that feeling of nostalgia when an old favourite from your childhood pops up unexpectedly on the television or the internet?

There's plenty to choose from, but I decided to choose this one. Not exactly soothing, but it certainly calms me down when I've had a bad day. :D

once a week i have to take a shot. so after i prepare my shot and everything i always turn on this song.
i dont know if i would call it calm and soothing persay but it helps focus me and get the job done. it doesnt make me tense though either. to me its kinda relaxing even though nothing really in the song is relaxing. its more just stimulating for my brain.

Truely relaxing songs i have to go with things by Bowie and Queen. also i love

I'm very literary and enjoy music that tells a story. I recommend the album "The Hazards of Love" by The Decemberists. I tend to also listen to sad/melancholy songs as it is somewhat cathartic.

Yes, very much so. We call them: Kingdom melodies and they are the only music I can listen to, when feeling angry or sad or melancholic and always calm me down.

One particular song has these words that have an amazing effect on me: this world is hard, but my life is not in vain.

091-V My Father, My God and Friend

Tenth Avenue North...it's by far my favorite station on Pandora.

Some of the groups included on that station for me are:
Shawn McDonald
Sanctus Real
Hillsong
Jesus Culture
Sidewalk Prophets
Brandon Heath
Matthew West
Casting Crowns
Needtobreathe
David Crowder Band

Every now and then one song will "stick"...where I listen to it over and over and over on my iTunes playlist, sometimes for hours and hours over the course of several days or even weeks. Sometimes it's a song that I have to play on the guitar over and over and over. The most recent one of those was Glorious Ruins by Hillsong. I would spend an hour at a time playing that one song repeatedly, and it went on like that for about a month.

My favorite is a piece by author Colin Wilson (of the Little Book of Calm fame) called Windgarden, its very soothing and hypnotic.
The others are Chopin's Noctune Op. 9, No. 1 and Venus from Holst's The Planets.

Last edited:
John Williams' Magic Box
Whatever mood I'm in I'll end up toe tapping.

I'm very literary and enjoy music that tells a story. I recommend the album "The Hazards of Love" by The Decemberists. I tend to also listen to sad/melancholy songs as it is somewhat cathartic.

It's official, Jess : We are long-lost twins! Nice to meet another Decemberists fan! I absolutely love that album. I could go on about it.

I also find Arvo Pärt to be particularly soothing:

the music they play on the giant Wurlitzer theatrical pipe organ at organ stop pizza in mesa AZ. wish I could visit.

For me it would be video game music from the 80's and 90's from my childhood. It put me at a state of my life when I had less things worry about. Below is one example what I would listen to.

I mostly listen to video game music, and there are many songs from video games that I find soothing. Maybe because they don't have any lyrics? Here's some of my favorite relaxing video game music:
Galuf's World (from Final Fantasy V)
Moonsong (from Cave Story)
Temple of Droplets (Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap)
Edward's harp music (Final Fantasy IV)
Grape Garden (Kirby: Return to Dreamland)
Outskirts of Time (Chrono Trigger)

Outskirts of Time sometimes calms me. When I'm having a bad day, or I'm sad, it usually makes me cry when I hear it.

A selection:

For redirecting overly active thoughts: Ornette Coleman - Law Years:

This is keeping me sane lately: Johann Sebastian Bach - Glenn Gould

For when I need to turn off thoughts: Mozart Clarinet Concerto in A - 2nd mvt:

Baroque Lute Music:

Last edited:
I will normaly put on some of my Vince Guraldi music from the Peanuts cartoon series or some contempory jazz. Those are my calming music. When I need to let out stress, its heavy metal like Rammstien, Disturbed ect. And I play it loudly! Mikie

new age music in general. especially a version of "preludio saudade" included on an Astroscopes astrology CD-ROM in my collection :D

Andante Favori in F Major- Beethoven

I used to play this when I was really depressed, and the melody was just sweet enough to get me to smile. I'm not a huge classical music guy but this song is among my all time favorites.

The best music to soothe me tends to be that of Mother Nature. Birdsong, rivers, wind through the trees, that type of thing.

Most music that features string or woodwind reed instruments playing in lower registers/ranges. So cello/bass [electric/rock or upright], oboe in lower range, alto, bass and regular clarinet in lower range, etc.

I JUST LIKE IT. :D

I also really really like to listen to the full reading/recording of Peter and the Wolf. It's really calming in a pleasant, fun way.

New Threads

Top Bottom