• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Most awkward situation you can face: an introduction

So I'm standing there. My friend, who has described her first impression of me as "the most awkward person I've ever met in my life" and someone who she said she "immediately did not like"--words I did not long to hear--has vowed to introduce me to her friend who she emphasized is not just "just like" me, but "the same person." So it should be easy, right?

I know what I'd be impressed by, right? A funny introduction. I'll be funny. He'll get it, we'll hit it off, we'll be best friends forever. He's right over there, checking out with his groceries. We both eat, right? Maybe I'll make a joke about how we have that in common. He'll think that's funny. That's funny, isn't it?

Maybe now isn't the time.

"I don't know, maybe another time."

"No, he's right over there! Let's just go say hi."

She grabs my arm and walks me over to her friend, who looks very happy to see her. I struggle to get words out. I stammer. I start to say something like "I've heard so much about you" when I realize that that's awkward and doesn't make sense, and is also not funny, and not entirely true so I don't want to clearly lie unless I'm being definitively sarcastic, which I think I'm a master of now but occasionally realize this is entirely untrue. What ends up transpiring is me, holding my hand out like a politician, mouth open but no words for about 2 solid minutes while my friend looks on in horror. Eventually I settle on the perfect introduction. I say, "Hi." He smiles and shakes my hand and says "hi" back. He doesn't seem to notice that I did not express the clever wit I had intended to, nor does he dwell on the fact that I stood there stammering for an inappropriately long time. I realize I like this person. He doesn't have the look of discomfort or dislike which I've grown accustomed to seeing, whether it's actually there or not. He isn't thrown off by the fact that I'm looking at his lips and not his eyes.

As my friend and I walk away from the encounter, she observes that I was "very weird". I'm comforted that despite this fact, she still thoroughly enjoys my company and voluntarily chooses to spend her "very awkward" time with me.

Anyway, this was a positive outcome for a very uncomfortable experience I typically struggle with:the self-introduction. Am I being too creepy? Too inappropriate? Should I try to be funny? Is "hi", "hey", or "hello" creepier? If I say "hi" to a crush, is that too forward? This self-filtering goes on in every conversation I have every day, where I relay the many painful rejections and relate the exact words and actions I'd taken to produce them and try not to repeat them. Social interactions are exhausting. I miss being a mute like I was as a child.

So, I'm here. Like many people, I'm not diagnosed, the process is confusing and I don't really see a benefit to it. Seeing a therapist caused me more anxiety than it helped me with: getting to the appointment on time, fitting it into my work schedule, panicking about asking to leave work early to make it on time on a regular basis, panic attacks on the drive there.

I like to read, I like anime, and recently I discovered WoW which, aside from the social aspect of it, I like a lot. I knew I would years ago, but I avoided it like the plague because I couldn't afford to get addicted to another thing while in college. When I "like" something, it is the only thing I think or talk about while I am currently obsessed with it. At 28, I still struggle with turning "off" that part of myself and realizing that I'm annoying people. I used to read parts of books to my sister's friends and laugh hysterically at them, thinking they would "get" it and we'd be besties and share this awesome thing together. I thought, maybe they just don't like it yet because they haven't read it, but once they do, once I share it with them, they'll finally get me.

I hate awkward comedy like that of Steve Carell or cartoons like Doug (on when I was a kid) because, while I like him as a person and even see the humor, the situations make me so uncomfortable I can't watch, I burn with empathy and want to run away.

I was accused of being "too sensitive" and "a crybaby" as a kid by my siblings, so I worked to build a hard outer shell and to either not cry or to find a place to cry alone. Little things made me cry, usually physical stimulants and discomforts that others didn't understand. Noise, physical touches, roughhousing, tickling (my least favorite thing, I would beg it to stop and it would always continue endlessly), even certain fabrics would cause a tantrum or a tear-fest. I didn't understand it at the time but I get now that I was both physically and emotionally hyper-sensitive and other people would actively try to "fix" that by being extremely tough on me. This did not help. If you have kids with autism or aspergers, I cannot stress enough how important teachers are in their success. Teachers can be downright abusive and bullies to kids on the spectrum. Those who insist on respect and do not give it can change a child from extremely well-behaved with good grades one year to defiant, "disrespectful" and deservedly so, low self-esteem and a decreasing GPA or willingness to do assignments. These teachers to not understand that TELLING a student on the spectrum to do something is just not good enough and will not orchestrate learning.

I take the advice from others very seriously and very personally. I internalize everything. I have gotten very good at adapting and pretending to be socially competent. This was greatly helped by the fact that I have a twin sister, so while I would have naturally retreated and been alone, there was a constant flow of children around me because they liked her and could put up with me as a tag along (it was really embarrassing to have my mom call and request an invite extended to me from a girl who I knew did not like me or thought she was too good for me, but fortunately this only happened twice and in one instance my sister ended up punching the girl in the face for calling me a nerd, so it ended up being more than worthwhile). I'm grateful for that because I learned to mimic and saw how other kids interacted in a way I didn't understand in classrooms or on playgrounds (recess was my LEAST favorite time as I just walked around alone and got kicked or taunted).

At the same time, I am pulling back from people now more than ever. I used to obsess over the internet, it was my one source of nonjudgmental friendship. Now I loathe things like facebook and have disassociated from many old friends as I can't take the constant feeling of rejection. Suddenly the internet just got so overwhelmingly negative. No longer do I feel people can talk and be different and understand one another there. Now it's just arguments and accusations and trolling. My one safe haven became engulfed in flames (and flame wars).

I decided to join this and talk to some people who might relate to what I'm going through and maybe help kids or parents of kids on the spectrum who might be going through the painful experiences I grew up with. What helped, what definitely did not, and how I look at the attempts to help that others made now as an adult. Even though it's the internet, I hope it won't feel all internet-y since I think we all know what it is like to feel attacked...

Welcome! I hope you can find a new, fresh set of friends here, those who will treat you much better. We're generally a pretty nice bunch; I hope you like it here. :)

wyv

First welcome and second: most of what I read is an echo of how I am and like you, not diagnosed but don't intend to.

I grew up with the notion I was the least human on this earth. I would watch my sister of 2 years my junior as she flirted and made friends faster than I could blink. I felt horribly inadequate and it is only marriage to an nt which has helped me to cultivate the ideas my sister has always been so good at and she used to rub it in. Had no idea I was an aspie at the time.

Oh yes, don't I just know what you mean, with the process you go through, on meeting some one new. Exactly the same. Really hate meeting strangers and will try to get out of it.

You are not alone at all.

Thank you for the welcomes & support! Suzanne: I know what you mean about the sister who seems decades more evolved at flirting and making friends. My sister dated about every guy in high school. I dated a guy to try to fit in, he ended up taking advantage of me and made a lot of threats to control me, I didn't even like guys really (different story). She just got it naturally. And her boyfriends parents would make remarks apparently that the guy should be dating me because I'm the "prettier sister" or other inappropriate statements (and really, up to the person's own opinion). People would say (inappropriately imo) that I was the "prettier sister", but "pretty" was just a defense I developed to avoid bullying, something I think a lot of females on the spectrum will do and might be part of why we are harder to detect or diagnose. We can get into or obsess over makeup and it might seem normal.

I laughed out loud--not at you, but with you: when something like this happened to me, I just stood there dumb as a post and the harder my match-maker tried to make me engage the worse it got. The first, and last, date was even worse!

Love the way you wrote this--engaging, engrossing, and oh-so-familiar.

Thank you aspergirl4hire, that means a lot to me. While it wasn't a romantic interest (he is about 95% gay and I am whatever), he ended up being one of my best friends and eventually a roommate. Unfortunately I had to part ways with him as he became excessively selfish, but I treasured and still do treasure what we had.

My dating awkwardness was always far, far worse!! :)

Welcome :)

Nice introduction. I'm glad to see you're settling in nicely here. Feel free to check out our resources section too. I've added a few recommended links below, should you be interested.

AS for women:

Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Tony Attwood (a YouTube search of him is also recommended):

Home

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

raspyaspy, Thank you for writing such a wonderful introduction. It's the best I've read and I connected to so much of it, it made me happy. You reminded me of some good things which I think, must be odd, since a lot of what you spoke of were hard things, bad things. You wrote too much and too well for me to respond to everything but I really appreciated what you said in your comment about recess, oh god! Recess is hell for aspie kids. I never knew what to do when the bell rang and it was time to go out. It was terrifying every time. Everyone had friends and I never knew where to put myself so I wouldn't be bullied. Seeing all the other kids play hurt too, it made me feel awful because I knew it meant there was something so wrong with me I couldn't make friends.

As an adult I have gone through lots of unpleasant things, a root canal, hospital stays, a man broke in to my home while I was there. Many more. None of these things or even all of them together were as bad as being a kid in school. I don't know how aspie kids do it today having to survive regular bullying and now Internet bullying. There is a safe place for aspies and it's being around other aspies. At least that's what I think. So, welcome to the group :)

I was in college when I was 22 abouts and married and I simply DREADED break times; even as a school girl, I rather just continue working, but was forced out to "play". I would actually sit on this bench, right where everyone was going passed and smiling and laughing, which just made me feel, well less than a human being. I would actually put up with the grumblings of my tummy, due to needing to eat, because I felt that it was like climbing mount Everest or something, just to walk into that canteen, full of people; I could not make myself do it at all.

The occasional time, I seemed to make a sort of friend, is the only time I could enter the canteen and it felt surreal and I felt shame.

I asked and actually begged to stay working and sometimes, much to my relief I was given permission and loved and valued those times.

Lol by the time I got home, I ate like a pig!

Starting to get the hang of the forum a bit now! I think I just figured out that "NT" means "neurotypical". Is that right? I think I will stick to my usual label of non-autistic as abbreviations get confusing and sometimes, though I realize they are useful for differentiating, these labels can make others feel like outsiders or as though they are being insulted or excluded somehow, but maybe I will change my mind later.
raspyaspy, Thank you for writing such a wonderful introduction. It's the best I've read and I connected to so much of it, it made me happy. You reminded me of some good things which I think, must be odd, since a lot of what you spoke of were hard things, bad things. You wrote too much and too well for me to respond to everything but I really appreciated what you said in your comment about recess, oh god! Recess is hell for aspie kids. I never knew what to do when the bell rang and it was time to go out. It was terrifying every time. Everyone had friends and I never knew where to put myself so I wouldn't be bullied. Seeing all the other kids play hurt too, it made me feel awful because I knew it meant there was something so wrong with me I couldn't make friends.
Recess and PE, man, those were the worst. It's hard to decide which one is absolutely the worst, since in PE you get forced into the social interactions and can see how you are THE last person picked, if ever, and the "coupling up" exercises were even worse since you'd be the one without a partner EVERY TIME. I could sometimes deal with recess and found my own fun hanging out on the chin up bars doing spins or walking around aimlessly, but PE was inescapable. It was glaring to me that the "least popular" kids were more popular than me, because at least they had each other.

As an adult I have gone through lots of unpleasant things, a root canal, hospital stays, a man broke in to my home while I was there. Many more. None of these things or even all of them together were as bad as being a kid in school. I don't know how aspie kids do it today having to survive regular bullying and now Internet bullying. There is a safe place for aspies and it's being around other aspies. At least that's what I think. So, welcome to the group :)
I had an apartment broken into while I was home once too. The guys were high, drunk, or both, and I guess I was living in the room of a former drug dealer they were after. So they went through the rooms to destroy the place to scare him, probably found that difficult since it couldn't have been more of a disaster, and I came out of my bedroom annoyed and concerned because I thought it was my sister's drunk friends. Came face to face with the leader. Fortunately he wasn't too messed up because I explained that I didn't even know the guy, I lived there with my sister, and after some reiteration he finally believed me and said he was "so sorry" and left. Being awkward, I didn't call 911. I called my friend Amy just to vent a bit (I had friends in college, was even somewhat popular), she gave me the number for the local police which I called. They were like, "Um, why didn't you call 911?" "I didn't think it was an emergency." "Well, yeah, it is!" I don't like to bother people. I thought since I wasn't scared of them coming back and they weren't there any longer, it wasn't 911-worthy. But now I'm of course terrified of my home being broken into while I'm there.

I don't know if I can say it was the most painful thing, but certainly the most pervasive of my painful experiences, being rejected constantly. It's integrated into every aspect of my life. A kind word goes a long way to boost my confidence but it's so rare, I just have absolutely no faith in myself anymore. I know I'm capable of more than what I do and make, but the process is so scary I stay where I am.

It's really encouraging to hear from others who say they know where I'm coming from. I don't talk to others about this stuff and am not often received well, so it really is a big boost to my self-esteem to have someone say what I said had any positive impact. Thank you. :)

Suzanne,
When you are hurting yourself (not eating) because of that fear, it is truly crippling. I hope you have since managed to find ways around this. I have come a long way and have certain places I feel comfortable enough venturing into on my own. For many years I would never buy anything at stores because talking to and dealing with the cashiers was too overwhelming for me. If I wanted something, I would give the money to my sister or her friend and ask them to do it for me and keep the change. I even wanted a chair about a year ago but my boyfriend refused to go with me, he said I should just go in and get it on my own. I got in my car, started it, started to have a panic attack and couldn't deal. I had only ever gone there with him and the process of buying furniture there confused me, and the store was big and overwhelming. I broke down and cried for an embarrassing long time about it.

I think we all have a lot of shame we carry around with us. I tried to explain this to my previous therapist once, why I was so afraid of rejection and what would be so bad about it, and I felt a bit degraded and well, rejected by her questioning it, like I was wrong or stupid to be afraid of rejection. How could we not be afraid of rejection? What's so bad about it? It contradicts your existence. You are nothing.

Welcome aboard
Am I alone in seeing these as wooden boards? When you say "welcome aboard" and attach this picture, my mind really goes to saying hello to a wooden plank Clint Eastwood-style ;).

Thanks for the welcomes!

Edit to add: Oh wow just saw this was one of yours! Looking at it (not on my phone this time), it's more clearly a picture of tall buildings and a sky, but now of course I can't not see the boards due to taking things literally. Walking off my wooden plank now!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom