• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom of a 29 year old aspie man

Laura D

Hello. My 29 year old son is an Aspie. He has never accepted the diagnosis, until recently that is. His acceptance comes at a time when he is dealing with other issues that I cannot discuss, but it does give me hope that thing may turn to the better.

My reason for joining this site is to ask if anyone has any recommendations of dating/support sites for Aspies where a person can make genuine connections? My son has no friends and has had very limited success with dating. I really want to find other Aspies in the same geographical area that he can chat with and maybe even meet personally. So far I have found very few Aspies online in our region that have put themselves out there to make connections.

Is it possible that anyone on this site has similar problems or is also in need of a possibel, like minded friend?

Thanks,
Laura D.

Hi Laura D.
I'm 31, I've found some groups of people on meetup.com for Aspies and for high functioning autism, could meet some like minded people. As far as dating, wish I could help...

Thanks, Darren. We tried Meetup years ago, didn't go over so well. There don't seem to be a lot of Aspies in the Seattle are that are willing to put themselves out there.

You are going to have this problem everywhere, unfortunately. It seems easier for Aspie women to find partners than Aspie men, and the men outnumber the women. Your son can join this site himself and fill out a profile in the Love/Relationships forum. I was lucky enough to find a mate, but your son would be well advised to keep in mind that relationships are A LOT of work and that love is as much a choice as it is an emotion. Welcome to Aspiescentral!

Thanks for the advice . He has had one relationship that didn't work out. I will suggest that he sign up here. trying to get him into an Aspie support group as well.

Wow...I can't imagine my mother ever intervening in my love life (such as it's been).

Last edited:
Wow...I can't my mother ever intervening in my love life (such as it's been).
I can appreciate your opinion , but each situation is unique and you really have very litte insight into this one . Perhaps our situation is a bit more critical and complicated than you know. Being a mother of someone dealing with what my son is dealing with at the moment is concerning enough for me to feel the desperate need to do anything and everything I can to help him make it through . If you feel the need to judge my actions , so be it, but I am not ashamed or embarrassed to acknowledge the need to do whatever I can.

Hi Laura! I myself am a 29 year old Aspie. I think it is great that you are reaching out to help your son. My advice is to have realistic expectations. I think it is important for everyone to have friends. I have struggled my whole life to have any true friends that went beyond acquaintance level, so I understand the struggle. However, dating is an unrealistic goal for some on the spectrum. I obviously don't know your son, so that may not apply to him. But all aspies should have realistic expectations when it comes to relationships.

Hi Laura! I myself am a 29 year old Aspie. I think it is great that you are reaching out to help your son. My advice is to have realistic expectations. I think it is important for everyone to have friends. I have struggled my whole life to have any true friends that went beyond acquaintance level, so I understand the struggle. However, dating is an unrealistic goal for some on the spectrum. I obviously don't know your son, so that may not apply to him. But all aspies should have realistic expectations when it comes to relationships.
Thank you for your reply Witty Aspie, and the advice . Realistic is an issue that is very familiar to me , not so much to my son though . That seems to be a large part of the problem unfortunately . Thank you also for the understanding of my involvement in his life . Being the parent of an Aspie can be a difficult undertaking as well .

New Threads

Top Bottom