• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misery Log

Levitator

I don't know where to put this, or if it's even welcome, but I figure it makes sense to keep track of terrible social experiences to try to learn from them or at least commiserate, so I'll try and not be surprised if the thread gets moved or even deleted. Also, when you complain that you don't have friends or a community, it seems to get lost that that's really what you mean, and it's not just empty complaining.

Mar 10 2024
-----------------
I tend to get kicked out of churches. Back in the US I was a victim of violence, and I would go to the churches kind of distraught, but I would suppress the emotions, and just kind of matter-of-factly express that I needed emotional and spiritual support, but I would be told that my presence was troubling, and I would get ejected. Was it politics? Maybe. Was it that people couldn't get a consistent reading on my emotional state, and they let their discomfort take precedence over common courtesy? Either? Both? It doesn't much matter, because I remember having "church security" in my face, in the parking lot, aggressively demanding to search my pickup truck; a request I politely refused before driving off and subsequently having the FBI called on me; because I expressed that I was a survivor of abuses and I was looking for support. At a church.

So, anyway, I tried an entirely different church tonight, and this was after I had numerous times warned people that I felt God was guiding me away from organized religion. They were always incredulous. Tonight felt like an exception, so I went with it, and I attended. I played Weezer's "Island in the Sun" on the praise singer's guitar, after the service as people were leaving, and he was impressed, but he commented that his guitar is only for praise. I told him that it was a song about a joyful paradise, so I thought it was suitable for church use. I came back again later to the late service, and asked to play his guitar, when he again commented that the guitar is only for praise. I reflexively, but in good cheer answered "I didn't realize it wasn't praise!", rather than to reiterate my previous justification for the song. He said to go ahead, and as I reached for the guitar, some woman, maybe his wife or a friend, dropped her hand down over the strap and declared that the guitar is only for praise, and besides I don't have permission to use it. I commented "So many assumptions", and even though we cleared up the issue, I said "Nevermind. Don't worry about it." I felt very prejudged, and twice in a row already.

I did, however see a lady I had met just twice before. She had suffered some sort of heatstroke as a girl, due to a fever, so she had issues with paralysis. I had met her on the street once before, and she said that she spent most of her time cleaning her parents' house. The second time I met her, I asked her about music, and her mother silenced this woman, already partially mute, and prohibited her from using her limited speaking abilities to talk about... music! I found this really upsetting, but I kept my mouth shut, out of courtesy and to avoid conflict. So, so far, we have a disabled woman whose mother is a control freak, who uses her to clean house like Cinderella, and who puts a gag over her mouth for trivial discussions on music when she already has a speech impediment to begin with.

So, tonight, after getting treated like trash for attempting to play music for people, I met this girl for the third time in my entire life and did not get as far as a greeting. I was promptly lead outside by her mother, and upbraided, and humiliated, and told that she would call the police on me for talking to her disabled daughter. I attempted to explain to her that I had already warned the church that she is a control freak, and that she silences and presses into physical labor the same girl she is telling me is too disabled to interact without supervision. The pastor showed up, her husband showed up, and as someone who has already been a victim of repeated violence, it's a lot of pressure to be confronted in a hostile way by three people all at once. I lost my temper, I told the entire congregation that her family are slave-drivers, and that such was my testimony. I will never be allowed back after that outburst, but at the same time, that's exactly the kind of thing that abusive people are afraid of; visibility.

Okay, that was pretty shocking. I think l would have gone in low-key to try to save the endentured servant. The poor daughter, l feel bad. I feel bad that you couldn't play Weezer also. Sometimes the world really sucks.

Okay, that was pretty shocking. I think l would have gone in low-key to try to save the endentured servant. The poor daughter, l feel bad. I feel bad that you couldn't play Weezer also. Sometimes the world really sucks.
I did do the low-key thing, because I warned the church what they were doing. I didn't realise they were going to threaten to have me arrested for saying "hi" to her. If I'd known that, I probably should have simply attended somewhere else. Though, I'm reminded that my faith was leading me away (from organized religion). I wonder why...

Your misery and hurt comes through in this post and I am sorry you are struggling with all that. A lot of assumptions and judgments are being made about you.

I'd encourage you to take an intellectual step back, and see that you talked twice about having law enforcement called. It may not be for fair reasons. Nothing about the post seems to indicate that you have any intention to be threatening. But, for whatever reason, you are coming across as threatening, and that seems like an issue to fix. Do you have a therapist or social services who can help identify these issues and give you guidance?

Don't look at it as something that is your fault or to beat yourself up for it, but rather as something to intellectually adjust, much like closing an open fly. May Matthew 11:28-30 be fulfilled for you.

Your misery and hurt comes through in this post and I am sorry you are struggling with all that. A lot of assumptions and judgments are being made about you.

I'd encourage you to take an intellectual step back, and see that you talked twice about having law enforcement called. It may not be for fair reasons. Nothing about the post seems to indicate that you have any intention to be threatening. But, for whatever reason, you are coming across as threatening, and that seems like an issue to fix. Do you have a therapist or social services who can help identify these issues and give you guidance?

Don't look at it as something that is your fault or to beat yourself up for it, but rather as something to intellectually adjust, much like closing an open fly. May Matthew 11:28-30 be fulfilled for you.
There's nothing wrong with me, unless you count over four decades of emotional conditioning from being abused this way, and there is no way that a therapist can bail water out of my boat faster than an entire planet of neurotics and brutes can flood it.

If you walk with truth, there are others to beat you down.
Social digital platforms make it easier to attack the truth sayers. The digital platforms expose all of us. People on the spectrum are excellent at not being swept up in the rhetoric.

Last edited:
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16

Being the sort of person who takes dares and calls bluffs, I notified the same authorities they threatened me with, that this may be an abuse case, being that it involves a woman who is treated like property, denied a voice, and guarded as too disabled to interact in public, but who is nonetheless treated as able enough to serve as a personal housekeeper. The outrageousness of what I just witnessed is burning me up, but it's not in any way outside the saddening norm.

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Say you're running and you think, 'Man, this hurts, I can't take it anymore. The 'hurt' part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand anymore is up to the runner himself." -- Haruki Murakami, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

There's nothing wrong with me, unless you count over four decades of emotional conditioning from being abused this way, and there is no way that a therapist can bail water out of my boat faster than an entire planet of neurotics and brutes can flood it.
Your posts on this forum show an intelligent, rational, and deep thinking mind. Without having witnessed the incidents, I am inclined to believe that there is nothing "wrong" in the sense that your intentions are pure.

Intellectually, ASDs do not have the capabilities to observe ourselves from the "outside" and make adjustments. Hence why we build up rule sets via trial and error like "never mention someone's weight, stay away from politics" etc. There is nothing "wrong" with being honest and mentioning someone's weight, but it is something we do to keep social interactions harmonious.

Now, all of us can simply toss out the rule book and blame NTs for being hypersensitive, and to a degree that is an admirable trait, but the fact is that most of us want to interact with NTs in some way, such as you wanting to attend church for fellowship. It's a two-way street; none of us can fully unmask without paying the social consequences. If we want to pet a kitten, we have to appear unthreatening enough to approach it or it'll run away. Same thing with NTs.

Intellectually, and I am not casting any judgment on you, I am simply stating a fact, no judgment - the NTs in your life feel you are crossing a big red line of some sort. It doesn't matter if you've done anything "wrong," the fact is that you (and myself, and everyone else on this forum) have a low capability for understanding the subconscious messages the self is sending to NTs, which is why I suggested a therapist or a third party perspective who can observe these incidents and help you adjust.

@Levitator - It's very bad form to accuse people at a church of being abusive to their children. You're creeping people out and scaring them when you do that. Everyone at church knows that they are sinners and your emotional outbursts about specific people and what you deem to be their specific sins is out of line. Church members are not supposed to judge one another as the Bible makes perfectly clear. They pray for others.

There have been numerous church shootings in the US and churches rightfully are on full alert to avoid it from happening to them. I'm not very religious but I do respect churchgoers' right to worship in peace, without unstable, emotional outbursts from someone who just showed up for a service.

Next time, bring your own guitar. And bear in mind that people attend church to worship God, not to deal with some stranger who wants to use someone else's guitar to play non-secular music at the service.

Last edited:
I don't know where to put this, or if it's even welcome, but I figure it makes sense to keep track of terrible social experiences to try to learn from them or at least commiserate, so I'll try and not be surprised if the thread gets moved or even deleted. Also, when you complain that you don't have friends or a community, it seems to get lost that that's really what you mean, and it's not just empty complaining.

Mar 10 2024
-----------------
I tend to get kicked out of churches. Back in the US I was a victim of violence, and I would go to the churches kind of distraught, but I would suppress the emotions, and just kind of matter-of-factly express that I needed emotional and spiritual support, but I would be told that my presence was troubling, and I would get ejected. Was it politics? Maybe. Was it that people couldn't get a consistent reading on my emotional state, and they let their discomfort take precedence over common courtesy? Either? Both? It doesn't much matter, because I remember having "church security" in my face, in the parking lot, aggressively demanding to search my pickup truck; a request I politely refused before driving off and subsequently having the FBI called on me; because I expressed that I was a survivor of abuses and I was looking for support. At a church.

So, anyway, I tried an entirely different church tonight, and this was after I had numerous times warned people that I felt God was guiding me away from organized religion. They were always incredulous. Tonight felt like an exception, so I went with it, and I attended. I played Weezer's "Island in the Sun" on the praise singer's guitar, after the service as people were leaving, and he was impressed, but he commented that his guitar is only for praise. I told him that it was a song about a joyful paradise, so I thought it was suitable for church use. I came back again later to the late service, and asked to play his guitar, when he again commented that the guitar is only for praise. I reflexively, but in good cheer answered "I didn't realize it wasn't praise!", rather than to reiterate my previous justification for the song. He said to go ahead, and as I reached for the guitar, some woman, maybe his wife or a friend, dropped her hand down over the strap and declared that the guitar is only for praise, and besides I don't have permission to use it. I commented "So many assumptions", and even though we cleared up the issue, I said "Nevermind. Don't worry about it." I felt very prejudged, and twice in a row already.

I did, however see a lady I had met just twice before. She had suffered some sort of heatstroke as a girl, due to a fever, so she had issues with paralysis. I had met her on the street once before, and she said that she spent most of her time cleaning her parents' house. The second time I met her, I asked her about music, and her mother silenced this woman, already partially mute, and prohibited her from using her limited speaking abilities to talk about... music! I found this really upsetting, but I kept my mouth shut, out of courtesy and to avoid conflict. So, so far, we have a disabled woman whose mother is a control freak, who uses her to clean house like Cinderella, and who puts a gag over her mouth for trivial discussions on music when she already has a speech impediment to begin with.

So, tonight, after getting treated like trash for attempting to play music for people, I met this girl for the third time in my entire life and did not get as far as a greeting. I was promptly lead outside by her mother, and upbraided, and humiliated, and told that she would call the police on me for talking to her disabled daughter. I attempted to explain to her that I had already warned the church that she is a control freak, and that she silences and presses into physical labor the same girl she is telling me is too disabled to interact without supervision. The pastor showed up, her husband showed up, and as someone who has already been a victim of repeated violence, it's a lot of pressure to be confronted in a hostile way by three people all at once. I lost my temper, I told the entire congregation that her family are slave-drivers, and that such was my testimony. I will never be allowed back after that outburst, but at the same time, that's exactly the kind of thing that abusive people are afraid of; visibility.

I am very iffy on church congregations for this reason. It's all about political posturing and having a control over everything. If you don't fit to thier idea of a ideal worshiper, they don't want you. It just makes me wonder about how many they chase off doing this. Especailly autistics looking for logical answers to things in the world.

Maybe it's not ment to be.

I personally just follow my own spiritual path really. I don't bind myself to a specific religion, for any reason. There is no reason to in my mind.

I could be searching. But I find it unlikely. I think I am more studying aspects I like, and applying a version of it to my own belief system.

I am very iffy on church congregations for this reason. It's all about political posturing and having a control over everything. If you don't fit to thier idea of a ideal worshiper, they don't want you. It just makes me wonder about how many they chase off doing this. Especailly autistics looking for logical answers to things in the world.
Most of my church is quite nerdy and I suspect a few of being ASD. We play video games, go to the bar, and play Cards Against Humanity.

Our church's personality would "exclude" someone who is seeking to dress up, play classical music, and wanting to be formal in order to honor God. That is precisely why multiple churches exist; Paul writes of this in Romans 14.

The challenge in finding a church to experience fellowship in is the same challenge as finding any group of NTs to experience friendship in. Very difficult for ASD. But not impossible.

Most of my church is quite nerdy and I suspect a few of being ASD. We play video games, go to the bar, and play Cards Against Humanity.

Our church's personality would "exclude" someone who is seeking to dress up, play classical music, and wanting to be formal in order to honor God. That is precisely why multiple churches exist; Paul writes of this in Romans 14.

The challenge in finding a church to experience fellowship in is the same challenge as finding any group of NTs to experience friendship in. Very difficult for ASD. But not impossible.

I didn't exactly say I'm against the idea. I am just iffy with it because the majority are as I said. At least from what I understand. But it's also because I personally don't really care.

If you found one that works for you and it's not all formality and judgement. Then I'm glad it works for you. I am against the idea of condemning anyone for doing and believing as they will.

I personally just don't see a point for myself.

Sadly, there are people who use others in this manner. I read of a story lately where a lady kept 3 or 4 people hostages and kept their passports, and made them do house chores. Human trafficking does happen. Could the mother be doing this to her daughter? It's a possibility, yes. Just because l don't want to read about it, doesn't mean that it isn't happening. Sadly, there are abusive people everywhere.

Last edited:
Your posts on this forum show an intelligent, rational, and deep thinking mind. Without having witnessed the incidents, I am inclined to believe that there is nothing "wrong" in the sense that your intentions are pure.

Intellectually, ASDs do not have the capabilities to observe ourselves from the "outside" and make adjustments. Hence why we build up rule sets via trial and error like "never mention someone's weight, stay away from politics" etc. There is nothing "wrong" with being honest and mentioning someone's weight, but it is something we do to keep social interactions harmonious.

Now, all of us can simply toss out the rule book and blame NTs for being hypersensitive, and to a degree that is an admirable trait, but the fact is that most of us want to interact with NTs in some way, such as you wanting to attend church for fellowship. It's a two-way street; none of us can fully unmask without paying the social consequences. If we want to pet a kitten, we have to appear unthreatening enough to approach it or it'll run away. Same thing with NTs.

Intellectually, and I am not casting any judgment on you, I am simply stating a fact, no judgment - the NTs in your life feel you are crossing a big red line of some sort. It doesn't matter if you've done anything "wrong," the fact is that you (and myself, and everyone else on this forum) have a low capability for understanding the subconscious messages the self is sending to NTs, which is why I suggested a therapist or a third party perspective who can observe these incidents and help you adjust.
You're very kind. It's an unfortunate element of my journey that I got denounced to the local clinic back in the US due to guilt-by-association, and they spent a lot of time gaslighting me and trying to virtually twist my arm by misdiagnosing me and drugging me while they were playing gumshoe, when they should have ostensibly been practicing medicine. I remember them placing an "Interrogation" placard on the conference room they put me in, and right there, you have a very factual and non-subjective indicator that the system was being abused for non-medical purposes. It should be obvious that after an experience like that, "therapy" becomes a contributor to stress and trauma, totally defeating its purpose. People who do stuff like that belong in jail, but they are educated, and the system is not accountable to itself.

A larger lesson is that people can perceive your mannerisms as ugly and unpleasant, and they begin to see you as a bad person who is also vulnerable. It's had disastrous and pervasive consequences.

@Levitator - It's very bad form to accuse people at a church of being abusive to their children. You're creeping people out and scaring them when you do that. Everyone at church knows that they are sinners and your emotional outbursts about specific people and what you deem to be their specific sins is out of line. Church members are not supposed to judge one another as the Bible makes perfectly clear. They pray for others.

There have been numerous church shootings in the US and churches rightfully are on full alert to avoid it from happening to them. I'm not very religious but I do respect churchgoers' right to worship in peace, without unstable, emotional outbursts from someone who just showed up for a service.

Next time, bring your own guitar. And bear in mind that people attend church to worship God, not to deal with some stranger who wants to use someone else's guitar to play non-secular music at the service.
Try reading what I wrote again, and note that I only began yelling after they humiliated me and threatened me first, and began converging on me in a group of three as if I were Emmett Till. From there, you bring church shootings into the issue, and at that point I think we can close the discussion with the question of which devil that group worships, (when the Bible requires kindness to strangers), and what you have in common with them.

Maybe it's not ment to be.

I personally just follow my own spiritual path really. I don't bind myself to a specific religion, for any reason. There is no reason to in my mind.

I could be searching. But I find it unlikely. I think I am more studying aspects I like, and applying a version of it to my own belief system.
You are correct that authentic faith is very rare even while churches and their congregations are everywhere. Indeed, most congregations confuse self-worship with God, and this is precisely the kind of outcome which occurs. If you're not one of them, they don't feel obligated by the countless Biblical imperatives to show love and to welcome strangers.

I don't, at this point, consider faith to be primarily about logic. However, you're correct that being a logical thinker imposes a barrier for entry to a lot of people because they get rejected for asking "wrong" questions. When you do finally make it into the territory of faith, often without much help from those who think you're a heretic for not accepting answers at face value, your logical nature nonetheless can offer you unique insights and perspective.

I'm sorry that churches have been doing this. Ironically, one of the most judgmental groups of people is likely Christians, yet they are perhaps the only group that believes we have been specifically instructed GOD by Himself to not be judgmental. Shame on us.

New Threads

Top Bottom