• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misdiagnosis or...

it just shows you have a a lot of intelligence to be able to adapt and progress in the way you have done, it doesnt mean you arent aspie/ autistic because you have been able to progress quite quickly, it just means you are an intelligent,wonderful person [thats what you come off as to me] and should be proud of yourself of how far you have come! :)
i hope that doesnt sound patronising as i think we all need to recognise our journey to teen and adulthood as it is so much harder for us.
The earlier, the better. My dad forced me to do things id hate doing, but he only did it to make me mature into becoming independent. Almost all fears are gone, with the exception of social fears.

You sound no different to a lot of other people on here. You have a lot in common with us.

This one isn't heard of so often but it's got to do with your senses too. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, this one is always the same. But it's also about being aware of thirst and temperature too.

View attachment 32822

I'm not going to be of much help in that I can't remember either what it's called, but I definitely remember a discussion with the psychiatrist, my mother and I about the perception of hunger -- or lack thereof.
Now, do take my words with a grain of salt, because that conversation started as we were discussing my Ehlers Danlos syndrom, which is apparently sometimes found along with Asperger's. I'm perpetually hungry. For years I thought it had to do with depression, but it turns out the depression only gave me the impulse to snack. Not feeling full has nothing to do with it, and everything with me not properly getting the signal to stop eating. On the other hand, my mother (whom I got the EDS from, thanks, Ma) is never hungry. She'll eat heartily what's in front of her, or she'll get a headache to remind her she has to eat, but no feeling of hunger.

As for humor, congratulations on mastering that already!
I love sarcasm, but we have a weird relationship: I can do sarcasm very well, but I still have a hard time understanding it when I'm on the receiving end. Other than that, I'm all for dark, dirty or pun-tastic humor, but I'm not at ease with jokes that mock someone at all.

Lastly, your organization vs. disorganization reminds me a bit of my father (whom I got the Asperger's from, aren't we a wonderful diverse family?) and myself.
My desk at work is covered with stacks of papers, notebooks and post-it notes. My bedroom is pretty messy too, except for my clothes, sorted by color like yours (and shade and sleeve type), and my books. People who know my outside persona (i.e. colleagues) often say I'm the most organized person they've met. Meanwhile, I constantly feel like everything is falling apart and I'm a total mess :/ As in, unless I prepare sets of clothes for the entire week, with a 1 day/1 outfit/1 hanger system, I will have no clue what to wear. I look up the weather forecast, write down what that translates into in terms of clothes, and put that together. Heaven forbid some garment falls from the hanger when I get ready in the morning, or I won't think of putting it on.

I don't know if anything I've written will make sense to you or sound any familiar, but I thought maybe you'd be interested. At any rate, welcome!

I'm not going to be of much help in that I can't remember either what it's called, but I definitely remember a discussion with the psychiatrist, my mother and I about the perception of hunger -- or lack thereof.

I found it again. It's called interoception. Here's a list of all the senses in our bodies. The number varies between who you ask though. One thing is for sure there are more than just 5 senses.

Last edited:
Now, do take my words with a grain of salt, because that conversation started as we were discussing my Ehlers Danlos syndrom, which is apparently sometimes found along with Asperger's. I'm perpetually hungry. For years I thought it had to do with depression, but it turns out the depression only gave me the impulse to snack. Not feeling full has nothing to do with it, and everything with me not properly getting the signal to stop eating. On the other hand, my mother (whom I got the EDS from, thanks, Ma) is never hungry. She'll eat heartily what's in front of her, or she'll get a headache to remind her she has to eat, but no feeling of hunger.

As for humor, congratulations on mastering that already!
I love sarcasm, but we have a weird relationship: I can do sarcasm very well, but I still have a hard time understanding it when I'm on the receiving end. Other than that, I'm all for dark, dirty or pun-tastic humor, but I'm not at ease with jokes that mock someone at all.

Lastly, your organization vs. disorganization reminds me a bit of my father (whom I got the Asperger's from, aren't we a wonderful diverse family?) and myself.
My desk at work is covered with stacks of papers, notebooks and post-it notes. My bedroom is pretty messy too, except for my clothes, sorted by color like yours (and shade and sleeve type), and my books. People who know my outside persona (i.e. colleagues) often say I'm the most organized person they've met. Meanwhile, I constantly feel like everything is falling apart and I'm a total mess :/ As in, unless I prepare sets of clothes for the entire week, with a 1 day/1 outfit/1 hanger system, I will have no clue what to wear. I look up the weather forecast, write down what that translates into in terms of clothes, and put that together. Heaven forbid some garment falls from the hanger when I get ready in the morning, or I won't think of putting it on.

I don't know if anything I've written will make sense to you or sound any familiar, but I thought maybe you'd be interested. At any rate, welcome!
No worries, it makes sense to me. However, watching YouTube really helped me to understand humor, and also the teens at school who use that humor. I actually laugh with the students. So that's all cleared out. But much earlier, I was the quiet one in class. Not talking and only talking when near a friend. But now, I make comments in class as some of the others do. I just hate getting called by my teacher. Pretty much, I talk OBSESSIVELY. Usually in a formal matter. That's one thing that my family finds annoying. But I'm okay with it.

YouTube is great for that. I accidentally taught myself humor in a different way that I wouldn't recommend, which was dating a comedian. It can make for some very uncomfortable moments, but at least now I know when to laugh (mostly).
Have you also been able to figure out when to keep a comment to yourself, in class? I feel it's one of the harder things to do when you lack a filter; I could tell of so many times my teachers and professors heard something very dry from the back of the class, and just turned, staring in disbelief. It did help bond with some students, who would find it hilarious, but we didn't become friends over that either.

@Southern Discomfort,
Nailed it! I was stuck on cenesthesia, knowing it was not the word I was looking for, but couldn't get past it. And whatever I googled would somehow yield "cenesthesia" again, quite frustrating :(

YouTube is great for that. I accidentally taught myself humor in a different way that I wouldn't recommend, which was dating a comedian. It can make for some very uncomfortable moments, but at least now I know when to laugh (mostly).
Have you also been able to figure out when to keep a comment to yourself, in class? I feel it's one of the harder things to do when you lack a filter; I could tell of so many times my teachers and professors heard something very dry from the back of the class, and just turned, staring in disbelief. It did help bond with some students, who would find it hilarious, but we didn't become friends over that either.

@Southern Discomfort,
Nailed it! I was stuck on cenesthesia, knowing it was not the word I was looking for, but couldn't get past it. And whatever I googled would somehow yield "cenesthesia" again, quite frustrating :(
I can keep a comment to myself. My explanation was just exaggerated, that's all. I only do so when someone does something in which all the other students comment on too. It can lead to some laughter for the class. So yea, nothing too big.

My mom has a lot of trust issues with me. Ever since I lied at an early age, she mostly assumes my honesty to be a lie. Saying things like "Don't lie to me I know you..." or "Please Moises..." and so on. It hurts me since I really do tell the truth, but it never comes out as being so I guess. This can lead to lots of arguments with my mother. Which then leads to me constantly being grounded. Otherwise, can any of you give me some advice?

Yeah. Again, that could be done to Asperger's too. With Asperger's you have a narrow range of interests, often if something doesn't interest you it really won't interest you. Teachers always said about how I did the minimum amount of work in a lot of subjects that didn't interest me. My Year 11 teacher said that if I was any more laid back I'd fall off my chair.

You might also be distracted by sounds or sights as part of the sensory problems people with Asperger's can face; we can really struggle to filter out information in our surroundings.

There is of course a general level of being distracted from work across a lot of pupils at school.
Also, is there a "neurotic" aspect with Aspergers? Because I can be described to be very neurotic.

I'm not sure about Prader-Willi syndrome since I'm a high-functioning Aspie. But I definitely have an undiagnosed eating disorder.
to clarify do you eat until the food reaches the top of your oesophagus and spills out of your mouth if you dont you have more normal perception of calorie intake

to clarify do you eat until the food reaches the top of your oesophagus and spills out of your mouth if you dont you have more normal perception of calorie intake
Nope, not that I may know of. Just takes time for me to know when I feel full. Eat fast. Slow metabolism.

New Threads

Top Bottom