• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

May be useful to understant NTs

marraco

Necomimi is a Japanese invention that converts mind states into stuffed ears movement. It is like a headset which detects brainwaves, and use it to express brainwaves by moving artificial ears.

For example, if the person using it is very interested or concentrated on something, the ears are raised, like ears dogs do wen dogs are concentrated on something.

View attachment 2896

It look like this:

On that video, I cannot identify any pattern to correlate that people facial expressions to the ears movement. I find the ears even more distracting, but still his movement gives me a hint, at the exact time, on which something is changing on the people wearing it, and thus, it helps to tell me when I should give attention to the face, to learn whatever I still need to learn about face expression communication.

I watched it a pair of times, but learn nothing.

Can you please, tell me if you can correlate those stuffed ears movement to the facial expression of these people on the video?

Can you tell something about what is going on on those minds?

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot get a fast enough connection at the moment to watch the video (I'm in a cafe) but it's hard to see how a device like this could be capable of truly conveying emotions or thoughts. Wouldn't it require the ability to somehow read brain waves?

If nothing else it seems very kawaii, though.

I cannot get a fast enough connection at the moment to watch the video (I'm in a cafe) but it's hard to see how a device like this could be capable of truly conveying emotions or thoughts. Wouldn't it require the ability to somehow read brain waves?

If nothing else it seems very kawaii, though.

Here is a downloadable 20 Mb low resolution video of it:

http://o-o.preferred.lax04t01.v4.ca...Expo 2011&redirect_counter=1&cms_redirect=yes

An here is again on higher resolution:

http://o-o.preferred.lax04t01.v8.ca...2011&ir=1&redirect_counter=1&cms_redirect=yes

I definitely want one, but I don't know if it helps with understanding facial expressions. Sometimes they don't seem to change at all. I think maybe rate of blinking might tend to slow down at about the same time the ears pop up? Does anyone else see this?

Maybe it could work in reverse. We Aspies tend not to reveal much with facial expressions. Maybe we could help our friends understand us better.:skeptical:

I wants a pair just because they are soo freaking cool. I would love to have them even if they don't really convey or help they are soooo cute. But then again I love that kind of thing...teehee. Maybe but I doubt that it would help them or us. I think its just a cute little thing to wear.

Interesting. I sent a link to the video on Youtube to a bunch of people I know. My sister, who most likely is also on the spectrum, loved it as much as I did. Everybody else thought it looked stupid.

I definitely want one, but I don't know if it helps with understanding facial expressions. Sometimes they don't seem to change at all. I think maybe rate of blinking might tend to slow down at about the same time the ears pop up? Does anyone else see this?

Maybe it could work in reverse. We Aspies tend not to reveal much with facial expressions. Maybe we could help our friends understand us better.:skeptical:

I do not expect that the ears movement reflect actual thinking and feelings, but I hope that it can signal a message like "Watch! Just now, something is going on". It could be useful to study facial expressions on youtube videos.

I always wished that people could move their ears like dogs do, so that I could understand them as well as I understood my dog.

I can wiggle my ears...does that count? Alpaca's and Llama's use a (somewhat less sophisticated) form of ear movement for communicato.

I think the ears reflect very crude facial expressions - when the girl's mouth turned up and her eyes widened, the ears went up (all the way up, I noted, meaning they basically only have two settings - down and up, no medium) but when her mouth turned down and her eyes contracted the ears went down. The ears didn't reflect any of the more detailed facial expression changes on her face, like differentiating surprise from pleasure from satisfaction.

Nevertheless, when refined, I think these ears would be very helpful both in communicating Aspies' feelings to others (perhaps the ears could tap into the biological consequences of feelings, like heightened adrenaline level, increased sweating, heart rate increasing) and allowing us to more easily read others' feelings. Now, if only everyone could be outfitted with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom