• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Matching clothes

buckyboy14

Geo-Aspie
My mom is continuously telling me that the clothes I wear don't match, even though they always look perfectly fine to me. I don't understand how people decide what matches and what doesn't and how they keep track of it. "This goes with this, except not in this case because you're wearing this; this color and this color don't match, except they can when you're wearing this color; this color and this color don't work together because they're similar, but this color and this color work because they're opposite, but these colors do work because they're similar..." and on and on.

Does anybody else have problems with this?

The clothes I wear are comfortable. That is my main concern. I have 12 pairs of grey uniform slacks and a lot of t-shirts. I don't care if they match or are not in style. They are comfortable and this is what I wear every day. The only time I wear anything else is when my wife and I are out. In this case she lays out the clothes that she wants me to wear. Happy wife, happy life.

You should see my wedding photo, dear god! They dressed me up in a salmon pink shirt and a grey suit with platform shoes (hey, it was '75!!) :D

From that day to this I only do black, saves all the fuss :rolleyes:

One hint: learn your neutrals. I wear black pants most days, freeing my upper body to don many possible colours.

I am Very particular about what I wear. Mostly black shirts with jeans at work. On my days off, it is usually tie dyed shirts, wild colors, cool hats, bandannas and what ever else I see fit. I could care a less if no one else on earth likes it, I dress for myself!

I ALWAYS have to match. From my clothes, to my shoes, to my jewelry and even my hair accessories. And if I have nail polish, that too must match! It's a girl thing! :rolleyes:

Thinking about it,

I have a suit for formal occasions (interviews etc) matching set
Jeans, Cargo trousers, ton of T-Shirts and Polo shirts (everyday stuff) mostly black, navy or grey
Few random long-sleeve items (fleece, hoodie etc) I don't usually wear unless psoriasis flares up, as I'm a bit self-conscious about it, especially in the workplace as it looks a hell of alot worse than it actually is

I just wear what I feel comfortable in, having stuff like a suit cover me day in day out would bother the hell out of me..

Save for my work uniform, my wardrobe consists entirely of jeans pants, jeans capris, t-shirts, and blouses. I think they're called blouses anyways...pretty looking shirts that might pass for semi-casual? That's what i'm talking about. I try to match the shade of jeans with whatever shirt i'm wearing, but that's pretty much it. I rarely wear jewelry save the rare occassion, but when i do it has to match. I rarely wear nail polish and when i do, it doesn't have to match but it bugs me if it doesn't.

I have no taste in clothes. Whenever I try to be Adventurous, I end up looking ridiculous.
So, I stick with fairly bland and straightforward clothes. Browns, greys, blacks, blues.

My advice from a Clueless Dresser to other Clueless Dressers:
1) That wild looking shirt or jacket.... you'll regret it.
2) Get clothes that Fit. Nothing sillier than walking around with a couple of inches of bare ankle showing under your trousers. Spend more money if you have to. Remember brands and stores that provide what you need.
3) Too much Brown is creepy. A bit, but use lightly.
4) One Colour is bad. If you wear black pants, don't wear a black top.
5) Have a nice pair of shoes. Simple leather. Keep them in good knick.

People tell me I'm good at matching but to me it's just another thing to worry about. You have to make sure that certain things are available at the same time and not in various stages of laundering, worry about what you'll put on if you spill something on the only shirt that goes with those trousers, wonder if it will match your mood that day... and that's before you've even considered the fit!
If you want things to match you can try buying your wardrobe staples in neutral colours like beige, grey and denim which goes with anything. Then pair them with brighter colours. For example: grey trousers and a light blue shirt, beige trousers and a red shirt.
If you're happy with what you're wearing though, stick with it. You'll feel more comfortable that way. :)

For me, it doesn't matter what I wear as long as it's comfortable. As a matter of fact, I have certain go to clothes that I love to wear over and over just because they feel right.

I'm very ocd, and always match my clothes. I actually have a really hard time leaving the house if I don't look genuinely good. And if I don't match, no way.

I've gone from not matching to matching too much to looking like I'm trying to make a statement around people that don't do that sort of thing...
It's embarrassing, but at the same time, who cares? I have to agree with sentiments about getting clothes that fit. And no one should be able to see your underwear lines (or underwear... including socks). Often this does require spending more money.

I never much care about what people think. I will even sometimes wear clothing with holes. Though I'm not suggesting you to wear clothing with holes at less if you don't care like the same like I don't care. But to summarized, we live in a stupid culture to follow tends, and to do this and do that. I'm not a person into that ****. I'm a person being me and it OK to wear clothing to the style of your liking.

I never much care about what people think. I will even sometimes wear clothing with holes. Though I'm not suggesting you to wear clothing with holes at less if you don't care like the same like I don't care. But to summarized, we live in a stupid culture to follow tends, and to do this and do that. I'm not a person into that ****. I'm a person being me and it OK to wear clothing to the style of your liking.
I tease my grandkids about wearing clothing with holes. I offer to buy them new pants if they will through the holey ones away. They say their in style. Their parents(my kids!) buy them with holes and looking worn out. They pay big bucks for these cloths too! And they call me weird. Go figure.

I would take that offer on new cloths if I was lucky to have someone to do that for me. I know me being an adult should be more responsible but I just don't care much. If it some event, then I care more how I look and wear something without holes. I prefer using my money on other things.

I quite enjoy choosing clothes! I have a degree in Fashion so I should be the person to come to for these kinds of things. ;)

It's always good to buy an outfit in a trip rather than just individual items, that way you always have a couple of go-to items you know will look good together. And always try things on before buying so you're sure it looks good on you!

I like a man that dresses nice. If he has a good taste in clothes and cares about his appearance, then he has "good tastes" in other things as well. Jeans and tshirts are OK sometimes, but I like a guy who knows how to dress "up" for a fancy night on the town!

I like a man that dresses nice. If he has a good taste in clothes and cares about his appearance, then he has "good tastes" in other things as well. Jeans and tshirts are OK sometimes, but I like a guy who knows how to dress "up" for a fancy night on the town!

But I guess the question ends up with "how do you define nice?".

In the past I've spent a lot of time on my appearance (and thus clothes were a factor as well), yet I have been refused entrance to bars and have gotten comments by some people about my looks, while others praised me for the way I dressed.

It's highly subjective I suppose.

New Threads

Top Bottom