• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Martial Arts for Aspie safety

Also...Bruce Lee was an actor.....from what I have read ....not a competitor
And fer god sake....kung fu is energy and time....piano playing is kung fu
Wu Shou is the better term

John Saxon once told the story of how someone challenged Bruce's authenticity on the film set of Enter The Dragon. Bruce settled the score in a few short seconds according to Saxon and others who were there. Although Bruce was a movie producer, his fighting skills were the real deal as he came from the rougher areas of Hong Kong where rooftop fights were usually held. After being in trouble with the police in Hong Kong his dad sent him to the USA where he initially worked in a kitchen and then studied philosophy at university.
People who knew Bruce well were in awe of his abilties. Being kicked by Bruce was a bit like being hit by a moped and his speed was such they had to slow him down when the Green Hornet was being filmed for T.V. The real big guys like Kareem Abdul Jabar couldn't lay a hand on him in sparring usually as he was so fast
It's true Bruce started out with Wing Chun Gung Fu but eventually concluded he had to rethink the whole science of martial arts. So, his Jeet Kune Do was really the basis of the whole MMA scene, except the problem with MMA is it's ignored the spiritual side of Oriental Martial Arts. However, Bruce was a student of Zen and understood Buddhist thought.
The stuff Bruce did for movies had to be a certain way to attract an audience but, if anything he was slowed down on the screen.
Amongst his students were Steve McQueen and James Coburn as well as the 7 foot tall Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Also...Bruce Lee was an actor.....from what I have read ....not a competitor

That probably depends on what we want to make listener to understand. To me kung fu is more applicable term because for me doing WT (yeah, separate scholar from WC, but I found it to be more practical and alluring in means of directness) wasn't about just doing shaolin sport exercise, but to prepare myself mentally on doing something, to give my time and effort on practice in which I'd gradually evolve at. Wushu was invented solely for sports, and never as a martial art, that is the reason my teachers didn't wish to use that name. Yes, it does bug me too when people think than kung fu is a name for the sport itself.

_
According to today's laws I do see certain power of trusting self and being ale to speak your offender off way more important than MA in real life situation. Because, at least in where I live, it could be legally punishable to even physically defend one self until you are really seriously in life danger. Hitting a rapist or someone intended to kill and leave a visible mark on them isn't something you can get away with. But then again many can't be convincing and confident without knowing how to defend themselves.

eh, since martial arts aren't like they are in Fist of the North Star (eg I can't make someone's head explode by punching them) I never went into any as a kid...got a ton of bad martial arts movies, most of them with Bruce Lee clones

eh, since martial arts aren't like they are in Fist of the North Star (eg I can't make someone's head explode by punching them)

This makes my imaginairy "what if..."-machine rev up.

What if this would be the case. Martial arts would be an illegal practice in many countries. It would however also be a way better deterrent to pick a fight... unless you end up in situations where it comes down to who can make the other ones head explode faster.

Also, I don't know if making someones head explode is that much of a self-defense. Yes, people get hurt, and people get killed when they end up on the receiving end of self-defense, but imagine this was always the outcome.

Intersting stuff to think about IMO.

Seeing as Kung Fu was taught in the Shaolin Monastery and amongst monks, the concept was that of self defence using non lethal force. This was in line with the Taoist teachings. I think maybe Karate was more aggressive as it took more of the attack approach of hard Kung Fu and simplified the Kata. Not that Karate doesn't teach defence, just that Shaolin Kung Fu had a spiritual essence. I can't recall the geographical distinction exactly but in one region of China hard Kung Fu was taught and in the other region soft. Anyway, as David Carradine once stated the really interesting side of Kung Fu is the philosophy. I love the teaching of the supple twig and the hard branch. In strong wind the hard branch breaks as it doesn't yield to force but the supple branch bends and absorbs the force and isn't hurt. This was part of the concept of Kung Fu being highly defensive in some of the forms.

This makes my imaginairy "what if..."-machine rev up.

What if this would be the case. Martial arts would be an illegal practice in many countries. It would however also be a way better deterrent to pick a fight... unless you end up in situations where it comes down to who can make the other ones head explode faster.

Also, I don't know if making someones head explode is that much of a self-defense. Yes, people get hurt, and people get killed when they end up on the receiving end of self-defense, but imagine this was always the outcome.

Intersting stuff to think about IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom