• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Low Dopamine levels.

malortie

About a month ago or so, I began taking medication called Synthroid, which was prescribed by my doctor due to hypothyroidism. This has been confirmed by doing an exam (I was always feeling tired).

Since then, many changes happened and the dose has been reviewed in order to bring back thyroid hormone level to it's regular level. I recently got a phone call from my pediatrician, stating that the dose was correct and no longer needed to be changed.

Along the weeks that followed, after taking this medication, I noticed several differences in my routine. I would still feel tired, up to the point of lacking ability to keep motivation, concentration for long hours, along with endurance.

I still take concerta 54 mg, on a daily basis and while this is supposed to increase concentration, it seems as if it no longer was effective. That might be not the case, except when I take syntroid. I will have to talk about this to my doctor.

Since then, I searched around internet for a couple of days, regarding lack of motivation and causes. I stumbled upon section called Dopamine, which is an hormone that plays an important role in regulating concentration, along with motivation and reward system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

I searched for a few more days about this Dopamine and it's uses in the human body. I remembered I had trouble focusing on tasks, along with retaining information (memory) when I was not taking Concerta 54 mg. I once tried for an entire year to make it without taking this medication, and I can tell it was the case.

Then, I remembered about a medication called Vyvanse, which I tried about a year ago, which was prescribed by my pediatrician, seeing as I thought that Concerta was no longer effective. I tried this medication for about a month and a half, and found it ineffective. I would have trouble staying awake, focusing, concentrating. I switched back to Concerta.

These events made me ask to myself why I had trouble focusing, or engaging in other activities, and why I had narrowed interests.

I still am awaiting for this ASD diagnosis, I requested to pass since I believe I might have Asperger's. I told you (see my first post) I bear many characteristics found in people with Autism, Asperger's syndrome.

I made a few more searches involving Dopamine levels and Asperger's, and came upon this article, which I found quite pertaining.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122615

This person, which is on the Autism spectrum, tells his take about when it comes to Dopamine levels, and behavior toward other people.

I decided not to post this article in the research section, as this represents empirical deduction from one individual and not from an approved science board.

After reading this, I came to realize I might have low Dopamine levels, and perhaps this would be the cause of my lack of interests in various subjects, and describes one of my traits: I tend to choose activities because of the need to feel pleasure and satisfaction associated to it.

I find it really hard, nearly impossible for me to work on something I am unable to get 'good feelings' from, in contrast to many other people who can work on whatever task is assigned to them, regardless of their mood or outcome from this situation.

What do you think of this? If this could be true, I would need to have a talk to my doctor, since Dopamine supplements can be prescribed so that it might help fix this problem, at least until I find a better medication.

Has anyone ever came across this possibility? I would really appreciate to know if someone already has been approached using this method, and what good alternatives are available?

Not sure about the Dopamine, but I know the synthroid takes getting used to. It is best taken in the morning, same time everyday. I use this daily and I notice when I miss a day. If you have thyroid issues it will take some time to adjust and settle with the medication, while things finally balance out in your body.

I have always wondered how they measured neurotransmitter levels in the brain. It's not like you can just stick a needle in there.

New Threads

Top Bottom