• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love on the Spectrum U.S. Season 2 on Netflix

It seems just yesterday that we were discussing the casting call for LOTS US Season 2 and several members here had thrown their hat in and some were interviewed.

Speaking of which, they are currently doing interviews for LOTS US Season 3.

As for my thoughts on the (US) show, seasons 1 and 2...

I liked that the participants (both primary and others) came from a variety of life/career stages, confidence levels, and introversion/extroversion, though skewing a bit on the younger side (not sure if that's normal or not for dating shows - this isn't a genre I normally watch), and that everyone seemed to be genuinely themselves, and that we get to see personal growth and development.

I thought Jennifer Cook (author of Autism in Heels: The Untold Story of a Female Life on the Spectrum among others) was a really great coach.

On the flip side, I did there was a missed opportunity to move away from the stereotype (influenced in part by those whom Kanner had studied at his practice) of autistic persons being white and middle or upper class.

I've also noticed that the participants generally had enthusiastically supportive parents, and this is also a demographic that is overrepresented in various media - there are many autistic persons who didn't / don't have such a privilege but I suppose that wouldn't make for good television, as it would potentially lead to backgrounds and family dynamics to sidetrack and overshadow the point of the show.

On a random note, the participants' families also seemed disproportionate likely to have a dog - Forbes reports about half of US households have a dog but it seemed like almost every family on the show had a dog.

Overall, I did enjoy the show and I look forward to the next season, with hopes that they may bring in changes that address some of my reservations, while continuing with their strengths.

Thanks for your analysis. I thought the current season of the U.S. version did have more diversity than the previous season.

There are a few things that stand out to me in the show that are quizzical:

In the little intro-bios for each person it seems weird to me that they all seem to follow the same format that includes a very stereotypically childish bent:

"Jane/John hates loud noises but likes puffy cotton balls.".

Also, every person in the show so far comes from affluence from what it seems. But maybe like you're saying about parents/families that are NOT supportive of an autistic child, maybe showing autistic people who struggle to pay bills, etc wouldn't make for good TV?

Thanks for your analysis. I thought the current season of the U.S. version did have more diversity than the previous season.

There are a few things that stand out to me in the show that are quizzical:

In the little intro-bios for each person it seems weird to me that they all seem to follow the same format that includes a very stereotypically childish bent:

"Jane/John hates loud noises but likes puffy cotton balls.".

Also, every person in the show so far comes from affluence from what it seems. But maybe like you're saying about parents/families that are NOT supportive of an autistic child, maybe showing autistic people who struggle to pay bills, etc wouldn't make for good TV?

I think maybe the positive way to look at it is that if they showcase affluent families, it removes a variable, so that you can focus on personality rather than economic consequences. Like, if someone lives in imposed poverty and ignorance, the viewer might focus on that and see them as lazy or slovenly. I wasn't welcome in college, personally.

The animal cameos (mostly dogs) crack me up. I think they use them as the equivalent of an eye-roll emoji

there was a missed opportunity to move away from the stereotype (influenced in part by those whom Kanner had studied at his practice) of autistic persons being white and middle or upper class.
It might just be that that is who applied. Other community members might not be willing to admit they were autistic. Or there may have been socioeconomic reasons why they didn't get diagnosed. In a business, you run with what you got, not what would be ideal.

New Threads

Top Bottom