• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love museums?

kasmanaft08

V.I.P Member
My favorite thing to do while traveling is visit museums. The goal is to see as many as possible. Anyone else share a similar interest?

If you do (or don't) what's some interesting museums you've experienced? Or maybe some that you haven't been to, but would be interested in.

Museums are awesome. There are a few I've been meaning to visit out here. Cal Academy of Sciences (also a research institution) is pretty awesome. Oh and the Egyptian Museum in San Jose (forgot the name of it :p).

I REALLLLY want to visit the Smithsonian. Working there is also my dream job. :p

Museums are awesome..

I REALLLLY want to visit the Smithsonian. Working there is also my dream job. :p

Oohhh, the Smithsonian in DC? Natural History, I'm guessing. Those are one of my favorites, I went when I was younger (and they're free from what I remember!). I hope to go again someday...
My favorite was the Air and Space, though. :)

If you're ever close to the University of Texas in Austin, go to the Harry Ransom center. They always have something cool there. Last time I was there, they had a big exhibit on filmmaking with lots of props and costumes from movies, including Travis Bickle's jacket from Taxi Driver, which I thought was pretty cool.

One thing they have on permanent display that's really cool is the oldest known permanent photograph (yes, really!):

The First Photograph - Overview

View attachment 865

One museum I've never been to that I'd like to go to someday is the M?tter Museum in Philadelphia (maybe not right after lunch though):

M?tter Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I think there's a museum somewhere in Houston with dinosaurs that I'd like to go to sometime.

Last edited:
If you're ever close to the University of Texas in Austin, go to the Harry Ransom center. They always have something cool there. Last time I was there, they had a big exhibit on filmmaking with lots of props and costumes from movies, including Travis Bickle's jacket from Taxi Driver, which I thought was pretty cool.

One thing they have on permanent display that's really cool is the oldest known permanent photograph (yes, really!):

The First Photograph - Overview

View attachment 865

One museum I've never been to that I'd like to go to someday is the M?tter Museum in Philadelphia (maybe not right after lunch though):

M?tter Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I think there's a museum somewhere in Houston with dinosaurs that I'd like to go to sometime.

...Whaaaat? I spent way too much time at UT and wasn't aware of this collection...but they always had random stuff going on, so I could have missed it.
Houston's art museum isn't bad, and neither are Dallas/Ft.Worth's as far as Texas museums go.
Most of my time in Houston though was spent at the space center when I was younger-which probably doesnt count- so I havent heard of much else.

Also, Mutter Museum...something I also wanted to see. But in Philadelphia, if I'm not mistaken.

The Smithsonian is great - the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space Museum (as mentioned above).

My favourite, though, is still the British Museum.

The Louvre is also good - I had expected it to just be endless paintings hanging on walls, but there is much more to it than that.

Yeah, I love museums, When I was 14 my dad took me to Chicago. He was in a conference all day, so I got on the bus and went to the Museum of Science and Industry, the Natural History Museum, plus the aquarium, and planetarium. I was stationed near Chicago when I was in the Navy and I would take the train down to go to museums. Later I lived in Norfolk, VA a block from the Chrysler Art Museum. I used to spend whole afternoons there. Where I live now, I like going to the old roundhouse, a train museum. When ever I go next, I am going to pay the $20 to get to ride on the locomotive. I can spend hours looking at interesting things, I love details.

I'll be going to two museums when on holidays in England this year. One will be the Imperial War Museum in Manchester and the other is called World Museum, in Liverpool. The latter is basically a museum for just about everything, even having an aquarium and live creepy-crawly area, which should be interesting.

I'll be going to two museums when on holidays in England this year. One will be the Imperial War Museum in Manchester and the other is called World Museum, in Liverpool. The latter is basically a museum for just about everything, even having an aquarium and live creepy-crawly area, which should be interesting.

A few years back I visited the Imperial War Museum in London, and it was pretty good. I'm really intrigued by the World Museum you mentioned...I'll have to keep that in mind.

The aircraft museum at Duxford in England is awesome. When I was there in '99 they had one of the Concorde prototypes parked out in the open, and you could climb aboard and have a look around. There was also an incredible collection of WWI and WWII aircraft, as well as combat aircraft from later eras.

When I was there in '99 they had one of the Concorde prototypes parked out in the open, and you could climb aboard and have a look around.

I would love to see around a Concorde some time. Have you ever traveled on one?

Another museum that I have visited is Dynamic Earth in Scotland.

I would love to see around a Concorde some time. Have you ever traveled on one?

No. When I was in the UK it was still possible to take a Concorde flight to New York - in hindsight I wish I had taken a flight on the Concorde there and a regular jetliner on the way back. It was very expensive but the memories would have been worth it.

The really noticeable thing about the Concorde is how small it is inside compared to most modern airliners.

New Threads

Top Bottom