• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Loudmouthedness

I seem to do it on my mobile phone. I have no idea why. Or when im a bit over stimulated. Excitement screws with my volume settings

I used to have a friend that's an Aspie, too. She was the opposite of me in that she tended to loud and I tended to quiet. Whenever she got too loud, I'd move my hand in a downward direction, like moving a slider on a soundboard. It seemed to work well at helping her know when she was getting too loud.

I'm the opposite and just either don't talk or talk softly. I often get accused of mumbling, but usually feels like I'm talking normally. I often get frustrated, because I have to keep repeating myself. Sometimes, I end up yelling, because my previous efforts to speak up failed. Then I get scolded for yelling. =/

Yeah, I either speak very mumbly and quiet with my words almost bleeding into one another, or I shout. Now that I think about it, I can't seem to find a comfortable balance in ANYTHING. I'm constantly told that I'm an extreme person.

I am way too quiet, so I am told by just about everyone. I think it is because of the oversensitivity to sound. I feel the world is too chaotic and noisy, it really grates on me and I don't want to be part of the problem. I also talk to others the way I would like to be talked to, for example taking instructions one at a time. So for example when I give my orders at a food place, I say one thing at a time and make sure they got it entered before I say something else. It really bothers me to see others rattle off a big long list and expect the waiter/cashier to get it all, because I certainly wouldn't be able to.

I can write in proper grammar (not that I show it here) and way better than I can speak. Speaking is on the slow side, low pitched, quiet, a bit hillbillyish with a brain that gets stuck. But I've had several females say my voice is soothing.

I am way too quiet, so I am told by just about everyone. I think it is because of the oversensitivity to sound. I feel the world is too chaotic and noisy, it really grates on me and I don't want to be part of the problem. I also talk to others the way I would like to be talked to, for example taking instructions one at a time. So for example when I give my orders at a food place, I say one thing at a time and make sure they got it entered before I say something else. It really bothers me to see others rattle off a big long list and expect the waiter/cashier to get it all, because I certainly wouldn't be able to.

I can write in proper grammar (not that I show it here) and way better than I can speak. Speaking is on the slow side, low pitched, quiet, a bit hillbillyish with a brain that gets stuck. But I've had several females say my voice is soothing.

I'm similar, in that I say one order at a time generally. I'm also not one to do huge customizations on orders (thankfully, I'm not a very picky eater).

I'm a slow talker, too, which unfortunately backfires often, because I end up getting talked over and interrupted a lot.

We are always telling our AS son to keep his voice down, he mostly yells or talks really fast then gets frustrated when you ask him to repeat himself, however he does have impaired hearing in one ear so maybe that could be part the reason he is so loud.

This thread makes me wonder: Does anyone have the opposite problem? I can be so soft-spoken as to be almost inaudible, and it's caused some problems, especially with my dad who is hard-of-hearing (though he recently got hearing aids, which has helped tremendously).

However, I suppose I can be kind of loud, but only when I'm not paying the least bit attention, or when I've been drinking.

New Threads

Top Bottom