• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking a lot younger?

Let me spell it out for you then:

I'm not saying that your understanding of ageism or the appearance-based assessment of others is wrong-minded, but it's best to look at each case by itself. I'm quite certain that the people who came up to me in eighth grade and told me I looked the same had no specific intentions---they just commented on something immediately apparent to them. I chose to take it as a compliment rather than an insult because I didn't feel like making myself depressed.

That said, I don't know if it's helpful to your cause to pick apart every compliment you hear (I'm not saying you've ever done this or ever will; it's just general advice). I don't think people should be punished for alleged ageism or whatever if their intent is entirely innocent. Use the opportunity to educate others about the underlying implications of such comments, but take care not to leave an impression of hostility.

I've had the exact OPPOSITE problem most of my life actually. When people used to meet me they'd peg me at about 3-5 years older than I actually am. Most adults thought I was in middle school when I was in the 1st-2nd grade. This has continued with the oldest anyone has ever though me to be is 23 when I was fifteen. It happens a lot less now since most of the people I see on a daily basis are aware of my age. I have only been told I look younger than I am once (not at my current job though)

Yeah, add me to that list -- most of my adult life people have thought I was eight to ten years younger than I am. Now that I am in my mid-fifties, I like hearing it, though! It wasn't so great when I was trying to start a professional job at 25 and people viewed me as a little girl.

Yes, this is so true. When I was in my early thirties I was often mistaken for a teenager (I even still had acne, which just seemed to confirm their view), and when I reached my mid-30's I was sometimes mistaken for someone in the early to mid 20's.

However, it doesn't happen as much as it used to, now that I'm 46 (although I have to say that, unlike most my age, I'm not at all going bald - I spend a small fortune getting my hair cut every 3 weeks or so).

Just wait until the NTs hear about your theory. Everyone is going to be walking around expressionless.

Catwalk models come to mind here. I've always wondered why they have poker-faces when they strut their stuff. Now I know; they're in on the secret :)

Opposite for me - ppl have always thought I was much older than my age ever since I was about 13. Everyone always says I act much older. Now, I'm 35 and am trying to slow it down...although I still dress older than my age...perhaps I'll work on that.

People assume I'm six or seven years younger than I am; even one of my bosses, who is actually a couple years younger than me, said he had assumed I was college-aged. I guess it's because I'm rather small and skinny.

I definitely have this, I'm 22 years old and constantly get asked for ID. My age is always estimated between 16 and 18 on one occasion I was told I look 12. I also read somewhere that aspies have an innocence in their eyes that gives the impression of youth which could add to this.

Yup..same here. People always thought I was younger than my age. I always kinda thought people were being polite and then my wife tells me the same. Maybe it's a perk that we aspies have :D

Hi yes I do experience this I act more like an 11 year old apparently and I am 19 people say but I thought you were 14 very annoying I have yet to figure out whether it is the looks that I have worn the same types of clothes etc or my height or my persona

I'm 26 and have been told at various times that I look as much as 10 years younger than I am. I still frequently get ID'd for things like buying alcohol and lottery products and renting R18 films.

I consider it a blessing because I am emotionally and socially immature, so at least I look my age for myself. If I looked my age and acted the way I act people Would not receive me well at all.

On average, people knock 10 years off my age although one particular young lady knocked nearly 20 years off :eek:
20 less is a great complement! I know this may seem contradictory to many of my previous comments...but I'd wonder what others' view is on cosmetic surgery/tattoos & or other forms of body modification...maybe that is too broad to bring it all to the "looking younger" table...sry, just curious about the general opinion.

I'm 33 and people rarely believe me. Most people assume I'm about 25. It really throws them when they find out that I have a 15 year old son.

I am the same exact age with the same exact situation minus the 15 YO son, lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom