• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Liver of God...?

Crossbreed

Neur-D Missionary ☝️
V.I.P Member
My son attending college in Milwaukee goes to a church that was established by (South) Korean missionaries.
The pastor was explaining to him how, in Korean, it was difficult to pronounce the leading "r" in "river," such as in hymns that refer to the "river of God."

He further noted that when Americans came to Korea and sang the Korean translation of that phrase,
they would often mispronounce their word <gang> [강 = "river"] as <gan> [간 = "liver"], too... :D

Last edited:
I imagine that God's liver could handle more drinks than the rest of us.

I wonder what his favourite drink would be.

Ed

You certainly feel their wrath the morning after.

00b86c6c18cd3534569468ff591eac6a.gif

Ed

Wow, so in English you have river/ liver and in Korea you have literally the same with gan/ gang.

Is that coincidence? Big mystery.

I imagine that God's liver could handle more drinks than the rest of us.

I wonder what his favourite drink would be.

Ed
Nectar and Ambrosia :) (Iliad)

I was just looking at that.
I wonder if the "gang" part is the same root word...?
full

Could be...assuming the Han River may include the most affluent parts of Seoul that they call the "Gangnam District". And on a map, it does indeed- right in the heart of the city.

I punched "gangnam" into an English-to-Korean translator and it gave me 강남.
I separated its two parts with a space.
It translated back to English as "River South."*

From its Wikipedia page,
Gangnam literally means "South of the (Han) River."

*(edit: So, Southbank...?)

Last edited:
I punched "gangnam" into an English-to-Korean translator and it gave me 강남.
I separated its two parts with a space.
It translated back to English as "River South."*

From its Wikipedia page,
Gangnam literally means "South of the (Han) River."

*(edit: So, Southbank...?)
It turns out that the "nam" in Vietnam also means "south/ern."
Translated, it means something to the effect of "southern province."

It turns out that the "nam" in Vietnam also means "south/ern."
Translated, it means something to the effect of "southern province."

Interesting. Different language...though that's exactly how the Gangnam District sits in Seoul.

- Just south
of the Han River. Coincidence or language similarity? :confused:

Last edited:
Update: my son in the OP married a Korean girl from that church, last year and, days ago, announced that they were expecting!
full

New Threads

Top Bottom