• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lewitt Ray Microphone

Dagan

I am seldom so super excited about tech because I usually research everything to the Nth degree...and therefore usually find so many doubts. Not with this baby!

The Lewitt Ray condenser microphone is a gamechanger. Once I get mine, I will put it to every test that I am already thinking of, but as one can see in the attached video, it is already passing tests that are awesome. Oh, and per the video - Glenn is quite sarcastic, so even his video title is sarcastic. He actually really loves the mic.

What it should further do for all that I work on in the entertainment field, though...?
1 - Vocals for music recording. No vocalist likes to just stand static and belt out what they're feeling. This mic with its proximity adjustments to keep same levels will help a ton.
2 - Vocals for ADR when it comes to dubbing film / dialogue audio. Same as above. It's a chore for actors who are new to or are veterans to ADR - being able to just sit still at the same distance of the mic and yet emoting and even making head / hand actions. There will be no proximity level highs or lows at all anymore. YAY!
3 - As seen in the video, it can be used for a boom mic to record film audio from the start (boom the whole room, if you will). What I will be quick to test is having multiple folks in the same room / scene, obviously how quick it adjusts to if any one of them walks past the mic in the shot / scene and if the mic ever gets confused with folks moving back and forth in the shot / scene, as well.
4 - I want to see what it does in the case of being a mounted mic in motion per a filmed sequence and what it wants to track - while at the same time setting that proximity distance it has to see if it will focus on one or more actors staying within said set proximity the entire shot. I.E. will it work out perfectly for a "found footage / documentary" style film shoot!? It could be incredible to making such guerilla style filming so much easier.

I am seldom so super excited about tech because I usually research everything to the Nth degree...and therefore usually find so many doubts. Not with this baby!

The Lewitt Ray condenser microphone is a gamechanger. Once I get mine, I will put it to every test that I am already thinking of, but as one can see in the attached video, it is already passing tests that are awesome. Oh, and per the video - Glenn is quite sarcastic, so even his video title is sarcastic. He actually really loves the mic.

What it should further do for all that I work on in the entertainment field, though...?
1 - Vocals for music recording. No vocalist likes to just stand static and belt out what they're feeling. This mic with its proximity adjustments to keep same levels will help a ton.
2 - Vocals for ADR when it comes to dubbing film / dialogue audio. Same as above. It's a chore for actors who are new to or are veterans to ADR - being able to just sit still at the same distance of the mic and yet emoting and even making head / hand actions. There will be no proximity level highs or lows at all anymore. YAY!
3 - As seen in the video, it can be used for a boom mic to record film audio from the start (boom the whole room, if you will). What I will be quick to test is having multiple folks in the same room / scene, obviously how quick it adjusts to if any one of them walks past the mic in the shot / scene and if the mic ever gets confused with folks moving back and forth in the shot / scene, as well.
4 - I want to see what it does in the case of being a mounted mic in motion per a filmed sequence and what it wants to track - while at the same time setting that proximity distance it has to see if it will focus on one or more actors staying within said set proximity the entire shot. I.E. will it work out perfectly for a "found footage / documentary" style film shoot!? It could be incredible to making such guerilla style filming so much easier.

That looks GREAT. I use a Shure mv7 plumbed into a Scarlett 2i2. For podcast work it's great, but for filmed tutorials, webcasts and meetings it's a mixed bag. I've been having level problems with it anyway and it really needs close proximity, but it's huge and clients tend to not like it heavily in shot. If you're doing some youtube stuff I think a huge mic in shot is part of the schtick, but for corporate it's not much liked. Plus with it being so close you need to be pretty static or you'll fade out rapidly, the idea of having a mic I can just position roughly in the right place and know I'll get the same sound without needing to redo the gain and everything is great. Plus being able to look at other screens and stuff, turning my head, without losing levels. And being able to actually move around a bit rather than focus on where I am wrt the mic. I'm sorely tempted, would be interested to have a try out to see how it sounds with my voice.

Last edited:
Thanks a 1 000 000 for the info @Dagan !!

I'm also very interested in this. I move around a little when I'm speaking, so I have to use a microphone integrated into headphones. The mic is ok for online meetings, but not for anything where sound quality matters.

Now that I think about it, the tech used for this is probably relatively simple, but OFC that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm already looking forward to seeing it on cheaper mics, and getting better and better implementations of the same idea.

But I need a better mic now :)

BTW - do you have any suggestions for a headphone/mic combination with a good microphone. What I have now cost under USD 100, but I'd happily pay USD 500 for a better one (preferably, but not necessarily wireless).

I have no patience with the research process though, so I'm permanently trapped by uncertainty and indecision :)

Last edited:
If you are talking about bulky headphones w/mic, a lot of folks did the LogiTech brand. Some like the Philips better, but those are open-back only from what I hear.

Otherwise, if you want simple, small and next to unseen, go for a used pair of Airpods or those Sony wireless earbud equivalents. Used is how you'll only get them under $100 - normally new cost you around $275-ish. They are the ones with the best voice pick up. Of course, your comp will need rather up to date bluetooth.

Thanks a 1 000 000 for the info @Dagan !!

I'm also very interested in this. I move around a little when I'm speaking, so I have to use a microphone integrated into headphones. The mic is ok for online meetings, but not for anything where sound quality matters.

Now that I think about it, the tech used for this is probably relatively simple, but OFC that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm already looking forward to seeing it on cheaper mics, and getting better and better implementations of the same idea.

But I need a better mic now :)

BTW - do you have any suggestions for a headphone/mic combination with a good microphone. What I have now cost under USD 100, but I'd happily pay USD 500 for a better one (preferably, but not necessarily wireless).

I have no patience with the research process though, so I'm permanently trapped by uncertainty and indecision :)
You might also go for the headphones being whatever you like for music and using something like the Rode GO II for the mic.

Oh, I was thinking the ask was specifically towards a headset mic combo.

If we're just talking about what mic (that headphones can be plugged into), I have two Blue Yeti's that I feel are still the top thing one can get for podcasting and even recording guitar, bass or vocals. They have dropped to nearly $100 in price, finally, as well.

Obviously, nothing but this Lewitt Ray is going to have the proximity sensor, but the Yeti's have four mic patterns to choose from, a gain knob, a volume knob and a mute button.

@Dagan

Yes - I was asking for a headset/mic.
And still am I think - but now I also want better music quality than the old one :)

I had a Logitec G930 before (still have it, but it got too old). The G930's price level is fine though - I use headphones rather than speakers for almost everything, so I have the "speaker money" available in addition to headset money :)

BTW the 930 wasn't great for music. But it's at least 10 tears old, maybe more. Hopefully things have improved.

The Lewitt Ray isn't easily available locally. I definitely want one, but I'll have to wait a few weeks I think.

I like the sound of the Blue Yeti as an interim solution. I'm thinking of making a couple of YouTube videos, but it might lead to 15 views in total and zero comments /lol. It makes sense to start small.

I can get Blue Yeti's locally for about USD 120, which is ok (EU taxes are higher than US).

@MNAus
The Rode GO looks very good too, and I can get it locally. I really like the Lewitt Ray's automatic volume adjustment though :)

Using good wireless music headphones, with a serious mic for all speaking is a good idea though. I should have considered that before, but I'd never considered buying a proper microphone before.
This is why I can never make up my mind to buy stuff - too many options make my head spin /sigh.

So now I'm thinking good wireless headset, microphone a plus but not essential,
Blue Yeti as a starter mic, and see if I can get a Lewitt Ray with local Terms and Conditions (better than e.g. importing from the UK).

Saturday, I actually spoke with the dealer that I pre-ordered from. This Lewitt Ray mic is supposed to be shipped out for dealers / stores to have on shelves by June 22nd. US dealers, that is.

Thanks! I guess that explains why I couldn't find one here.

I can wait. And it will make the purchase of a Blue Yeti easier :)

New Threads

Top Bottom