• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Learning To Entertain Yourself

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
Some people including myself have a life having zero local friends. It can be lonely, depressing, and many other unpleasant feelings. Being in this state can make it hard to do daily functions of life. Because I find it will be very unlikely I will have a local friend that accept me as is, I decided I need to learn to entertain myself to keep me sane. For other people, it might be just a brief period for you and later on you will have a friend in your life. But whether you're waiting or may never make a friend, is trying to fill in the gap.

For me, I watch TV shows, movies, play video games, hiking and camping. For someone else, it might be reading a book or playing music. Whatever your interest may be, is finding something to enjoy to get out of the lonely state. For me, I'm going to listen to my own advice because I'm starting to build a new business. If I don't keep myself in a good mental state, it's going to be hard to make my business work. For other people, it might be hard to focus finding a job, or work out other life issue. There will be times you have down days, which is OK as this is recovery time. The key thing is to have the least amount of down days possible. I hope this will be useful for someone.

I entertain myself by taking action towards my goals, like doing math or reading books. I will also watch tv shows, movies, or read about tv shows and movies. I also have been teaching myself to cook different things (most recently, bread!).

Also, I think your post is quite helpful, and I am glad you created it!

Good ideas! I feel down a lot myself and end up just consuming time & not actually spending it wisely - getting stuck in the cycle of TV/games/internet browsing & not anything productive. Before I know it the whole day is gone and I haven't accomplished anything! I used to really enjoy baking and going for walks (when the weather is better). And playing with my rabbit when I visit my parents - animals always cheer you up.

I guess my life, despite all the struggles and lack of friends, I do have my husband, who does love me and my faith, both which keep me from boredom. And for the first time ever, we have a spare bedroom, which is lovely and tomorrow, brings us two guests for the week, both are fellow christians. I an trying to concentrate on the fun, rather than allow panic to overtake, as neither we know, but one of them I did explain being an aspie and she seems to be fine, because I fear being overwhelmed. However, they are here to study and learn and apparently, have tons of homework, so it hopefully will be a small hello in the morning and equally in the evening, but if I find myself being inferior, those occurrences, will be horrible. I admit, I rather they were chaps, for I feel ok around them, but, ah well.

I am a reader, but since moving to France, very little chance and so, Internet is my library, helping others, as much as I can and I love doing cross stitch.

Introspection and playing guitar are mine survival tools. The latter puts both hemispheres in good use, theory and practice combined. :) New business, a secret?

I guess my life, despite all the struggles and lack of friends, I do have my husband, who does love me and my faith, both which keep me from boredom. And for the first time ever, we have a spare bedroom, which is lovely and tomorrow, brings us two guests for the week, both are fellow christians. I an trying to concentrate on the fun, rather than allow panic to overtake, as neither we know, but one of them I did explain being an aspie and she seems to be fine, because I fear being overwhelmed. However, they are here to study and learn and apparently, have tons of homework, so it hopefully will be a small hello in the morning and equally in the evening, but if I find myself being inferior, those occurrences, will be horrible. I admit, I rather they were chaps, for I feel ok around them, but, ah well.

I am a reader, but since moving to France, very little chance and so, Internet is my library, helping others, as much as I can and I love doing cross stitch.

You live in France! I took French in 7th grade and had two French pen pals for several years - Bruno and Sylvie (thank God they both spoke English! :p) and Bruno got a little frisky as time went on - those Frenchmen! Ooh La La! I would love to see Paris. I even have a picture in my living room of a French cafe. Must be interesting living there.

I can entertain myself for hours. Although at the height of my loneliest years I did develop a few unhealthy attachments to book characters, game characters, pets, and characters in my own stories.

New Threads

Top Bottom