• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Keeping the mind engaged

wanderer03

I work in a job that doesn't require much mental exertion other than concentration and focus. After all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive a bus. While I mostly like the job, it can be rote and mind-numbing at times as it doesn't require much in the way of critical thinking skills. I'm curious what others in similar situations do to keep their mind engaged and stimulated. I miss using some of the critical thinking skills from my days in IT.

I've thought about attempting to write a book about an IT subject matter that interests me. I realize that the chances of publication aren't high but I figure it could help prevent atrophe of critical thinking. Thoughts?

I suppose writing helps to keep yourself occupied a bit more. You don't have any other hobbies that keep you occupied on a different level than your job?

Writing would great interms of using your minds critical thinking skills, Also mathematics is good in terms of using your critical thinking skills. Besides even if you don't publish your work you could always post your stuff up here on AC.

I suppose writing helps to keep yourself occupied a bit more. You don't have any other hobbies that keep you occupied on a different level than your job?
At present, I have some dormant hobbies but I get your general drift. It's time to re-cultivate some hobbies. That's wise advice. Currently, I'm designing complex computer networks and simulating them with GNS3. I figured I could document the work in a book form.

I suppose it might be time to open the door to other hobbies. I've only really been good at working on one hobby at a time.

At present, I have some dormant hobbies but I get your general drift. It's time to re-cultivate some hobbies. That's wise advice. Currently, I'm designing complex computer networks and simulating them with GNS3. I figured I could document the work in a book form.

I suppose it might be time to open the door to other hobbies. I've only really been good at working on one hobby at a time.
Art would a good hobby to try. I'm not much of an artist but it's a hobby I like to dabble in.

Art would a good hobby to try. I'm not much of an artist but it's a hobby I like to dabble in.
I'm an avid photographer and now that spring is upon my area, it might be time to re-engage that. Art is kind of a meditation - your advice is also sound.

Maybe you could jump onto some IT forums, especially in networking, and answer questions from others. That will keep your IT skills sharp. You might even consider making some YouTube videos about some of the more difficult concepts if you know you can explain them well. Do this for a while, and maybe even start a blog, and that will give you some momentum to bring to a potential publisher.

Maybe you could jump onto some IT forums, especially in networking, and answer questions from others. That will keep your IT skills sharp. You might even consider making some YouTube videos about some of the more difficult concepts if you know you can explain them well. Do this for a while, and maybe even start a blog, and that will give you some momentum to bring to a potential publisher.
I've never made a YouTube video. That might be kind of fun.

I work in a job that doesn't require much mental exertion other than concentration and focus. After all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive a bus. While I mostly like the job, it can be rote and mind-numbing at times as it doesn't require much in the way of critical thinking skills. I'm curious what others in similar situations do to keep their mind engaged and stimulated. I miss using some of the critical thinking skills from my days in IT.

I've thought about attempting to write a book about an IT subject matter that interests me. I realize that the chances of publication aren't high but I figure it could help prevent atrophe of critical thinking. Thoughts?

Consider self-published. I published two books at lulu.com

I've started blogging on socializing and friendship, and I'm considering whether to write a book, a video, or to become some sort of motivational speaker.

My therapist wants me to work (volunteer) with Aspie's to help with socialization, but I haven't figured out if it's even a viable option, because you really can't "force" someone to learn if they aren't comfortable around other people.

I have a similar type of job. This might not be an option for you, but while I work I use headphones and listen to podcasts and audiobooks. In the last month I got through 11 books which is way more than I could have read normally. I also listen while doing chores around the house. It's a good way to turn mundane tasks into something more interesting and mentally productive. My brain seems to require a constant stream of information coming in like our bodies need a constant supply of oxygen.

Go for it [emoji106] you write well and express your ideas clearly. You'd also be amazed with brain exercise games that are out.

New Threads

Top Bottom