• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job Seekers with Neurological Conditions Sought for Award-Winning Documentary Series "Employable Me"

What struck me, was how someone such as yourself who is so highly educated and qualified, could not find suitable employment.
I wish the programme makers hadn't harped on about my qualifications so much - it makes me seem such a has-been, defined by an achievement from the last century.

You were clearly willing and able to travel, and to be flexible, while offering commitment and loyalty to an employer who recognised your skills and strengths.
My recollection was that my willingness to travel / relocate was barely touched upon. Indeed the short film gives the impression that I had lived with my parents continuously since graduation, which is definitely not the case - in fact you could say that I'm paying the price for my earlier success by being disqualified from claiming benefits (see previous postings in this thread). If I'd had more control over the programme I would have liked to have done some filming in Bristol - cue footage of me strolling along the harbourside and saying to camera with a straight face: "Bristol's like the book that I have opened and now I want to read much more..."

Interview questions tend to often be the same so perhaps what might help is to learn the most common questions, and plan replies in advance.
I've been told more times than I can count to use the STAR method, which is an acronym for how you're supposed to answer a competency-based question: Situation, Task, Action, Result. The problem I have with this is that with many of the projects I worked on in the past, I was moved on to something else without getting to see the outcome - so I honestly don't know what the Result was (or I wasn't involved with it even if I did know). I said as much once to the facilitator of an interview skills workshop (who worked for Mencap, of all things), and all he had to say in response was: "Work it out for yourself!" Charming.

When I look back at my work history, I struggled to pinpoint anything I've achieved. I've even tried contacting former managers or colleagues for advice has to how I could say more about the projects I've worked on, but none of them have replied.

The standard advice for interviewing Aspies (e.g. this) says that hypothetical questions should be avoided. I must be an exception: I would much rather be presented with a description of a situation and invited to imagine what I would do in that scenario than have to rake over my past for evidence.

Getting back to the subject of Employable Me's second series, I was intrigued by the case of Alan in the final episode and the way he moved from Hertfordshire to the East Midlands before he'd even found a job. You see, at various times in my life I have cherished dreams of moving to a new area.When I was fresh out of university and living with my parents my desired location was as vague as anywhere outside of London. Several years down the line when I got fired by the Met Office, by which time I was a homeowner in Exeter, I sincerely hoped that my next job would be in Bristol. I have retained that attraction for Bristol ever since, especially when the city held the title of European Green Capital during 2015. However every time I thought of moving somewhere else I always told myself that I couldn't move anywhere without landing a job first, so ultimately I'd end up wherever the next job was.
>snip<
Am I a fool, am I hopelessly naïve to be so resigned to fate that I assume I cannot move somewhere unless and until I land a job there first? What made Alan so confident that he could land a job in the East Midlands more easily than within reach of Hertfordshire? Funny how when the benefits cap was proposed there were howls of outrage at the injustice of moving poor people beyond the M25. It seemed to be a truth (almost) universally acknowledged that London is where the majority of jobs are. Yet during my five-year sojourn with my parents the only "work" I found in London were two disappointing special autism work placements. So what does that prove?
I met Alan in real life the day before yesterday and we are now friends on Facebook. However he is not liberty to reveal how he funded his move from Herts to the East Midlands, other than that it was motivated by a wish to move out of his parental home.

Getting back to the subject of Employable Me's second series, I was intrigued by the case of Alan in the final episode and the way he moved from Hertfordshire to the East Midlands before he'd even found a job. You see, at various times in my life I have cherished dreams of moving to a new area. When I was fresh out of university and living with my parents my desired location was as vague as anywhere outside of London. Several years down the line when I got fired by the Met Office, by which time I was a homeowner in Exeter, I sincerely hoped that my next job would be in Bristol. I have retained that attraction for Bristol ever since, especially when the city held the title of European Green Capital during 2015. However every time I thought of moving somewhere else I always told myself that I couldn't move anywhere without landing a job first, so ultimately I'd end up wherever the next job was.

Am I a fool, am I hopelessly naïve to be so resigned to fate that I assume I cannot move somewhere unless and until I land a job there first?
Of course this was all before the pandemic. Are we moving towards a situation where anyone can work anywhere - no need to be asked if they'd be prepared to relocate because they don't need to?

Of course this was all before the pandemic. Are we moving towards a situation where anyone can work anywhere - no need to be asked if they'd be prepared to relocate because they don't need to?

Interesting question. When location is no longer a critical consideration of labor.

In my own nephew's case, while he has been employed with the same financial entity for many years, the pandemic forced him to work at home, and now apparently it's on a permanent basis.

That his employer will likely remain as is even when the pandemic is eventually over. Something that could indeed signal a bit of a friendlier job market for we on the spectrum.

Aeolienne: I just watched the documentary portion featuring you today. I thought it was excellent and I commend you for participating in that.

I received permanent work at home status for my job precisely because of my autism. Being able to work from home is very "autism friendly" for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom