• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Issues socializing?

Bianca_Black

Okay, so I know that we as autistics struggle with socialization, but am I the only one with occasional anger issues? I got really angry at my sister tonight for flashing her flashlight around the room to irritate me, and I punched her. Not hard, mind you, but hard enough that she could feel it. And just two weeks ago, I almost got detention for fighting with another student. I don't know what's going on with me, but is it normal? Am I the only one who lashes out like this? And if not, could you please tell me how to deal with it? I really don't want to hurt someone.
Thank you,
B.C.B.

you are not the only one who lashes out in anger. i do that too when i am especially angry. as for how to prevent it, you only need to calm down, take a deep breath, and let the moment of anger pass.

Getting angry is a normal reaction to some things, suppressing it is not good for anyone.
Its dependent on what you see and hear and experience in your life, how you see people around you cope with anger.

There's a tendency to emulate family, friends, and also what we see in movies and on video, even without understanding that were influenced by it.

Try and work on paying attention to the signals you get from your body before you blow-up, so you know its coming.
Things like a clenching stomach, flushed or warm face, tingling in your hands, that kind of thing.

Even after a lifetime I have difficulty doing so. Although I've taught myself techniques like deep breathing or punching a pillow or doing tae kwon do katas to circumvent it.
Have also used anger too, to get me through a day, or out of a situation, not using it to hurt others, but using the surge of energy it gives me to do something like ride at top speed on my bike, or reorganize my room, or go adventuring somewhere.

And sometimes sisters can be a pain when they want attention.:rolleyes:

Okay, so I know that we as autistics struggle with socialization, but am I the only one with occasional anger issues? I got really angry at my sister tonight for flashing her flashlight around the room to irritate me, and I punched her. Not hard, mind you, but hard enough that she could feel it. And just two weeks ago, I almost got detention for fighting with another student. I don't know what's going on with me, but is it normal? Am I the only one who lashes out like this? And if not, could you please tell me how to deal with it? I really don't want to hurt someone.
Thank you,
B.C.B.

I'm prone to spurts of anger in a similar fashion. With age we learn constructive outlets for it. Mostly my outlet for this is humor with dripping sarcasm. With that being said, anger is often a flight or fight response to a stimulus or perceived threat. One thing that age taught me to do was to choose my battles. I ask myself if fighting is a necessary reaction and can I let my anger simply pass through me.

The only way I will resort to using a physical means is if I am backed into a corner with no means of retreat. I make certain that if I have to react physically to a situation that I am 100% in the right. Doing this is empowering because I do not feel out of control.

Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary to me. Young people are prone to getting angry over small things, it's natural.

New Threads

Top Bottom