• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

is this an Aspie trait?

I know Amarie it is hard for me too, it hurts my pride to be so smart at some things and feel compleatly stupid at people stuff. I try now to view it as a wind and rain thing I just have to live with and work around, but it still gets me down sometimes. If you explain to good friends, and remember to apologize for any meltdowns most will try to understand and let it slide...in the end it's about all you can do, other than trying to be warm and empathic in return to your friends, which is also hard, Sigh!

I know Amarie it is hard for me too, it hurts my pride to be so smart at some things and feel compleatly stupid at people stuff. I try now to view it as a wind and rain thing I just have to live with and work around, but it still gets me down sometimes. If you explain to good friends, and remember to apologize for any meltdowns most will try to understand and let it slide...in the end it's about all you can do, other than trying to be warm and empathic in return to your friends, which is also hard, Sigh!
Haha yea that is super hard. The things we do to live life

Yes, I have these problems too. I blank out on people quite a lot. Sometimes I know that the person is expecting a response, but I don't reply, or I just say yes or no because I don't know what to say. They tell me things and I don't know what to do with the information they have given me. I don't always know the difference between a rhetorical question and one which is meant to be answered, until the person repeats the question at me, then I know they want a response.

I find it really hard to join in group conversations. I have some sort of auditory processing delay I think, because what a person says doesn't register right away and by the time I've come up with a response, someone else has already responded, and the opportunity to speak is gone. Or sometimes I thought of a response, start to speak but another person already started speaking before me, and I'm unintentionally interrupting them. It's very hard to have a voice in group conversations. They flow too fast for me to keep up and interact because I don't process the conversation fast enough, and it feels like watching TV. I hardly speak at all in group conversations. Even in one to one conversations, I tend to blank out, and I have to concentrate to keep myself all 'there' or the other person will think I'm not listening. This makes talking exhausting.

Hi amarie it is a auti trait I call it blanking out it comes from information prosessing overload. I do it all the time my mother walks up and starts talking to me without getting my attention properly and about hte time she finishes I'll turn to her and say did you say something., it drives her nuts. I think the auti mind learns to shut extra things down to focus and speed things up on whatever you are working on. The only way to stop it when talking with people is to try to stay in the moment reading them and think about what they are saying later...sorry that is the best I can do amarie

This happens to me all the time. I'm usually aware of speech, but don't hear what was said and don't know it was directed at me. I do this to my partner all the time. I'm sure you are right about this being a way our brain has learnt to deal with information. We get so absorbed in whatever we are focussing on that we block everything else out - monochanneling. And yet, when I need to focus on something for work, the smallest sound can distract me and prevent me from concentrating... it's strange how the brain works.

Yes blanking out is prosesser mind deafness it is real, with me if it is very bad I feel like I'm swimming in honey and peoples little tiny voices are shouting down a well at me from far above. The ways to prevent it are keeping social interactions small (more people = stress) reducing the amount of new stuff at one time new stuff takes more brainpower to think through (new stuff = stress), and reducing the unfamiliar by modeling in your mind, if you think through a event or people thing before hand you will handle it better and not be taken off guard, so (surprises = stress), Anything you do to become familiar with people places things will reduce prosesser mind shutdown. So I suspect living in a small town in the country is heaven for a auti. city would be hell unless you hid in a closet.

Living in a small town has its disadvantages too, because when you go out people are more likely to recognise you and want to come up and talk to you. I prefer to remain anonymous while going about my daily business in town.

I usually try to just keep to my bf, if its more than the two of us I have to decide if it's worth going or just stay home. Sometimes him and I will plan to go somewhere and then someone else decides they want to tag along and I have a full blown meltdown. It's different if I knew they were coming ahead of time, I'll either just stay home or try and prepare myself for them being there. But if its a SURPRISE tagalong, I'll freak out. Unless the surprise guest is in front of me then I shut down and come off ass a quiet ***** for the rest of the time. And if I do have to go somewhere new I Google the hell out of it. I have to see what it is exactly, what it looks like and so on so I have a whole game plan set up. Sorry if I'm rambling :D I get so excited when people understand me

This happens to me too, with my partner, and I react in exactly the same way. It upsets me a lot. We plan to go out, just the two of us, and then he invites his friends to come along. If someone turns up unexpectedly, especially a stranger, I find it overwhelming and I totally shut down.

Having scrolled down and read everything, definitely I would say you have aspergers. I am not professionally diagnosed but there is no doubt I am an aspie.

My husband is the one who suffers mostly with my non responses. It is like there is this long tunnel between us and I only just get the end of a sense that he spoke, but so intense with what I am doing that I fail to respond and he, of course, thinks I am being rude.

I am chronic in groups and even if I am bursting to talk, I don't and funny because like an aspie said about a female aspie, yes that is me, I stay silent so the next person has to speak.

I get: you are too loud or you don't take a breath or: are you even in the room? Is there a ghost of Suzanne! This is because when I am angry or excited I get loud and a constant stream of words, where it appears I don't even breath! When in a group, I am so quiet, I might as well not be there!

I have to ask either someone is joking or if they are asking me a question? Strange though, for there are certain jokes I get and these are mostly very clever ones. I give you an example of a recent one that my husband failed to see ( he is not an aspie).

This English man is stopped by the police in France and asked where he has been? Man says: well, sir, my daughter got married to a French man today and I had a few glasses of wine, some whiskey etc and there appeared a pained look on the police man and he said: sorry sir, but I am going to have to ask you to get out of the car and take this breath test! The English man said: before I do, since questions are being asked I would like to say that did you know that it is my wife driving? We are in a BRITISH car ie steering wheel on the right!

So, I found this very funny and hubby just looked blank!

Most jokes are lost on me and many I find are not very kind and end up spoiling the joke ie from ones that are familiar to me.

I am fine one of one and dread social interactions!

I do a similar thing that has come up in a couple of different situations, but I think it's a little different from what you're describing. I haven't worked in six years so this isn't an issue anymore, but when I worked sometimes I would have no idea how to respond to something and I would just sit or stand there silently. This pissed people off quite a bit. I had this one terrible job where my coworkers were mean, and they would very rudely tell me how to do things. I wouldn't know how to respond and they complained to our boss that I would just "stare into space." This usually happened when I felt they were either rude, stupid, or telling me something unnecessary.

The other situation happens somewhat frequently. I don't remember if I've addressed it here, but I don't feel like telling a whole big story so I'll be kinda vague. I have an illness that altered my physical appearance. Sometimes people ask me questions about this one aspect of my appearance that they don't realize are anxiety-inducing. I kind of shut down and don't answer. It makes things really weird. Often people bring up this thing in casual conversation and they're being friendly and they have no idea why I would be upset.

BlueConundrum you just described my work environment perfectly . I begin to feel extremely odd and ashamed at my work because of my lack of communication skills.I almost know it's wrong to not respond or communicate appropriately but it just happens over and over and I can't seem to do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom