• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a trait of Autism or OCD?

Caelix3

I have this problem where a word randomly pops in my head. The word keeps repeating over and over again and it starts to stress me out. I can't seem to stop it from happening either.

Example: The word Bloody Mary keeps popping in my head. It keeps repeating over and over again and won't stop unless I distract myself. If I distract myself, it becomes more muted or stops completely.

Is there a way to prevent this problem? Also is it a trait of Autism or OCD?

I definitely experience this. Typically the word or phrase only stops repeating when it has been replaced by another.

In my case, the words/phrases that stick are usually ones that I don't fully understand their meaning (or at least how they were used when I heard then) or have some other associated them. I'm not actively thinking about it, but it just seems to insinuate itself in my thoughts. I'm not often particularly interested in the word/phrase, but that doesn't seem to matter to my brain. I think it's much the same as when people get a song stuck in their head. I'm sure I don't have OCD, so probably not that. I don't have any advice. I could pass on the advice I have been given, "just don't think about it". Though when I was given that advice I responded with "oh don't look behind you". [emoji3] They didn't have any more success than me following each other's advice.

Also, hi everybody! I should probably go introduce myself properly soon. I've been lurking for a while. I figured I'd post on this topic, since this is something I thought I was mostly alone on.

I have this. Though the words are not random, but part of something I might be thinking about. Then it just repeats itself on a loop. I don't stress over it. I find it actually soothing. I might count a few times, over and over again also.

1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, etc, or whatever interval I wish.

If my attention is needed for something else, I have no problem interupting the repeating thoughts and focus on something else. But when I am stuck on a word, I just let it flow - no need to stress over it.

I don't consider myself to be OCD, though obsessive and repetitive behaviors are part of Aspergers, I don't feel that these behaviours are controlling me, so not compulsive.

Me too. Words, sounds, especially music can intrude and dominate my thoughts at times. Especially whenever I come out of REM sleep. Nearly every day.

In my own case I was never formally diagnosed as being on the spectrum. Though I was formally diagnosed with social anxiety and OCD long ago.

I must say, at times it confuses me to no end as to where one is comorbid to the other relative to Aspergers Syndrome/ASD.

I have this. Though the words are not random, but part of something I might be thinking about. Then it just repeats itself on a loop. I don't stress over it. I find it actually soothing. I might count a few times, over and over again also.

1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, etc, or whatever interval I wish.

If my attention is needed for something else, I have no problem interupting the repeating thoughts and focus on something else. But when I am stuck on a word, I just let it flow - no need to stress over it.

I don't consider myself to be OCD, though obsessive and repetitive behaviors are part of Aspergers, I don't feel that these behaviours are controlling me, so not compulsive.
I have the number thing too. That one isn't stressful.

But for me the words are negative. Like suicide or death or bloody mary.

Even though bloody mary isn't real. It is a legend that creeps me out. Thus why I'm afraid of mirrors.

I also have where songs repeat, but that isn't bad either. That is enjoyable.

New Threads

Top Bottom