• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is anyone particularly upset about dealing with ‘cognitive defects’?

Is anyone particularly upset about dealing with ‘cognitive defects’?

• Total voters
A few people have mentioned on-the-job stuff. I don't know if people are aware of this -

So... Here's a thing. In the US, there is a powerful federal law known as The Americans with Disabilities Act - the ADA.

Anybody with any kind of "disability" should become familiar with this.

Very briefly - if you are able to perform the duties of your job, the employer can not fire, demote, fail to promote, etc. based on your disability (example: the boss says "You are not a team player, therefore, we don't have a place for you," you say "I am on the autism spectrum, and am protected by the ADA."). They are legally required to make " reasonable accommodations" for you. In the example I gave, they may end up being obligated to use revised job rating criteria.

I'm not a lawyer, but this law is very, very powerful - and in your favor! Do a bit of research; if necessary, find a lawyer.
Thank you! Sounds like this could be very helpful for some. I personally don’t consider myself to have a disability as there are probably more or just as many tasks I can do well, therefore I don’t feel it is justified. It also isn’t very empowering, as the term ‘disability’ would only focus on my shortcomings rather than my positive qualities. Usually services like or are indifferent to having me work there, so getting complaints is a relatively rare occurrence, although it could take away my stream of income.

Thanks!

My actual education began several years after leaving high school. I found that I can learn, but I can't be taught. Teaching is too much of a social thing. In high school, I was diagnosed as retarded. I believed that which was very confusing to me as my career ascended above others who had esteemed degrees. I could never navigate any sort of higher education due to my social anxiety. At the time, I did not know it was social anxiety. Never heard of autism. I didn't know what was wrong with me. However, I could learn on my own and that is what I did. I spent years worth of hours studying text books in university libraries.

I would say the important thing to learn is your strengths and what impedes you. Then focus on your strengths and work on figuring out how to avoid or get around all the impediments. I think just asking your questions on this forum is a strong move forward. Life is hard, sometimes really hard and really confusing, but it looks like you are on a path to triumph.

Something else I learned; you don't necessarily have to have a degree to excel in a career that "requires" a degree.
Vivian Thomas is just one of many examples.
Thank you! I’m glad you found a job that focuses on your strengths and that you feel better about it all!

you ride the bus a bunch of times, too?
Yeah, I think it is a sort of autistic stim in which I hyperfocus and I get a release of pleasant hormones, coupled with music it is an amazing experience. There are so many leaves and views and sights to see, it's like relaxation therapy for the brain.

Literally used to do it hours on end at the end of my shopping, just take the buses back and forth around the city. However there are a lot of people coughing now and it can be dangerous to my health.

A few people have mentioned on-the-job stuff. I don't know if people are aware of this -

So... Here's a thing. In the US, there is a powerful federal law known as The Americans with Disabilities Act - the ADA.

Anybody with any kind of "disability" should become familiar with this.

Very briefly - if you are able to perform the duties of your job, the employer can not fire, demote, fail to promote, etc. based on your disability (example: the boss says "You are not a team player, therefore, we don't have a place for you," you say "I am on the autism spectrum, and am protected by the ADA."). They are legally required to make " reasonable accommodations" for you. In the example I gave, they may end up being obligated to use revised job rating criteria.

I'm not a lawyer, but this law is very, very powerful - and in your favor! Do a bit of research; if necessary, find a lawyer.
Thank you! This could be great for some people. I personally don’t see myself as having a disability but rather as having cognitive defects and I don’t want to be treated differently from a neurotypical. I am very negatively impacted as a result of having the ‘autism’ label throughout my life since from societies’ perspective, it meant you weren’t very smart and capable and you were in need of assistance most of the time. I am redefining ‘autism’ as what it actually means according to the diagnostic criteria and it actually doesn’t mean that much for me. In terms of functioning in daily life, one might say I don’t interact with others enough at work, but I don’t tend to get that feedback much, so I seem to be doing fine. It is also subjective about whether I interact enough and how important interaction is. I can be quite good at interactions revolving around what interests me whereas I find small talk difficult to keep up with and respond to.

As for getting fired, the lack of social interaction seems to be the most likely scenario. If I don’t know where something is, I might get laughed at or get told that I had been to the service before, but no one seemed concerned about having me work for them for that reason.

Thank you so much for your input!

Yeah, I think it is a sort of autistic stim in which I hyperfocus and I get a release of pleasant hormones, coupled with music it is an amazing experience. There are so many leaves and views and sights to see, it's like relaxation therapy for the brain.

Literally used to do it hours on end at the end of my shopping, just take the buses back and forth around the city. However there are a lot of people coughing now and it can be dangerous to my health.
I think travelling & listening to music can feel really good, although I can tend to get motion sickness and it can stink a lot, but I bring a face mask which has lots of perfume on it.

More often than not, I've become accustomed to feeling 'Neutral' about limitations associated with the Autism Spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom