• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Irony and sarcasm

I have a razor sharp wit that's dull. Talk about irony.

Used to breathe sarcasm, but not so much now. I still keep a stockpile on hand though for those special moments when I just can't resist.

Last edited:
This is why I love deadpan comedy delivery.

I started doing deadpan delivery because if no one gets my [attempt at a] joke, then they don't know I was trying to make a joke and I avoid some embarrassment.

Now, I think deadpanning something is so much more fun. It adds a layer of character to the joke, as if I was totally serious about whatever stupid thing I'm saying. Also, it shows that I can stay in complete control while making you laugh.

Last edited:
I use sarcasm & irony a lot. Sometimes I don't pick up on sarcasm. I do much better when I know the person, & know their personality type is "sarcastic." If its someone I don't know or know well, I'm more likely to miss it.

I get it most of the time. However if a lot is happening at once I may miss it and have to do a double take. I like sarcasm and do make use of it. ;)

Is it possible for an aspie to understand sarcasm and irony?
I think I'm an aspie. But I can understand irony and sarcasm. No aspie can understand irony and sarcasm?

Sorry for my English, I'm Brazilian.

As per the old saying, “ if you’ve met one person with Autism, you’ve met one person with Autism”

Every case is different. :)

I think many can understand it and can use it to a fault. Most my comments to people in general want to be sarcastic and I have to be careful with that. I mean no harm, I'm just trying to be funny. That's the only way I can communicate.
I don't get along with people that have no sense of humor because they always end up hating me. Oh well. Those who know me, know not to take it seriously. At the hospital you have to have a second nurse verify the amount of insulin before giving it to a patient. I went to a day shift nurse and said two unit. She looked at the syringe and said, "Yep." I realized my mistake and laughed and said, "No, it's four units, I was just testing you." I was laughing so wouldn't that tell you I was being funny correcting my own mistake? But she hated me from that moment on and di nothing but look for possible mistakes I may have made during my shift.

I think many can understand it and can use it to a fault. Most my comments to people in general want to be sarcastic and I have to be careful with that. I mean no harm, I'm just trying to be funny.

I've learned to hold back on my humor until I get to know someone. I need to know how quick-witted or slow they are before I try some obscure references, I need to know if they think stupid things are funny or just stupid, and I need to know what they might take personally. Occasionally, I'll say something that I think is funny, and someone will just look at me like I'm an idiot. Example:

I worked with a man from China. In a team meeting, he mentioned that he was going to take a trip to China. So I put on a wide-eyed, innocent expression and enthusiastically asked, "Is this your first time going there?" Most people laughed. One looked at me like, "Umm...Can't you see he's Chinese?" Sometimes I enjoy those reactions more than a laugh.

Last edited:
I've learned to hold back on my humor until I get to know someone. I need to know how quick-witted or slow they are before I try some obscure references, I need to know if they think stupid things are funny or just stupid, and I need to know what they might take personally. Occasionally, I'll say something that I think is funny, and someone will just look at me like I'm an idiot. Example:

I worked with a man from China. In a team meeting, he mentioned that we was going to take a trip to China. So I put on a wide-eyed, innocent expression and enthusiastically asked, "Is this your first time going there?" Most people laughed. One looked at me like, "Umm...Can't you see he's Chinese?" Sometimes I enjoy those reactions more than a laugh.
See I literally laughed when I read that.
I was driving to Florida for a cheerleading competition and a friend of my daughter and her grandpa ask to drive along with us. We met at McDonalds and he was saying he usually drove about 5 miles over the speed limit. I asked him, "Wasn't that the law to drive 5 miles over the speed limit?" He quickly started explaining that it wasn't. Then when I started laughing and my kids started laughing he finally realized I was joking.

I worked with a man from China. In a team meeting, he mentioned that we was going to take a trip to China. So I put on a wide-eyed, innocent expression and enthusiastically asked, "Is this your first time going there?" Most people laughed. One looked at me like, "Umm...Can't you see he's Chinese?" Sometimes I enjoy those reactions more than a laugh.

Well, it is ironic how a person willing to buy the Brooklyn Bridge could likely be sent to the cleaners. :p

At the hospital you have to have a second nurse verify the amount of insulin before giving it to a patient. I went to a day shift nurse and said two unit. She looked at the syringe and said, "Yep." I realized my mistake and laughed and said, "No, it's four units, I was just testing you." I was laughing so wouldn't that tell you I was being funny correcting my own mistake? But she hated me from that moment on and di nothing but look for possible mistakes I may have made during my shift.

Laughter can be at something which is genuinely funny to all who 'get it'. It can also be at something which is funny to those who take pleasure in the discomfort or misfortune of others. In this instance I suspect that she thought your laughter was 'at her, not with her' - from her perspective you fooled her into making a mistake and verified this by saying "...I was just testing you." So long as she doesn't catch you in a mistake you're now 'one up on her', but I wouldn't recommend that you intentionally make a mistake to let her feel equal again - that could work, but (depending on her personality and the situation she feels she's in) she may still feel threatened and use this against you.

If it had been a mistake concerning something inconsequential you may have seen a different reaction, but I would hope that giving an incorrect dosage of medicine is something that you (or she) could potentially be fired for. Many people would perceive the threat and react to it before even considering if it was intended as a joke.

Laughter can be at something which is genuinely funny to all who 'get it'. It can also be at something which is funny to those who take pleasure in the discomfort or misfortune of others. In this instance I suspect that she thought your laughter was 'at her, not with her' - from her perspective you fooled her into making a mistake and verified this by saying "...I was just testing you." So long as she doesn't catch you in a mistake you're now 'one up on her', but I wouldn't recommend that you intentionally make a mistake to let her feel equal again - that could work, but (depending on her personality and the situation she feels she's in) she may still feel threatened and use this against you.

If it had been a mistake concerning something inconsequential you may have seen a different reaction, but I would hope that giving an incorrect dosage of medicine is something that you (or she) could potentially be fired for. Many people would perceive the threat and react to it before even considering if it was intended as a joke.
I'm sure you're right. Thank goodness I no longer have to worry about it because I no longer am working. :) It just got me into trouble a lot with those that did not have a sense of humor. And I'm sure she REALLY hated me one morning when she was giving me report and said she had given this patient a bath (after my can had already told me that she puts the times she had last changed a patient on the diaper and that patient had the same diaper on from when she left that morning and it was wet.) So when this nurse told me she had bathed the patient, I said, "Ew and you put the same wet diaper on her then?" But by this point it was known that neither of us liked the other.
I do not miss those days at all. Patients were fine, co-workers - ugh!!! (with a few exceptions).

I don't think that I really understand irony and sarcasm or maybe I often take them literally.
Btw my best friend often says that she finds me a bit funny because even if I don't use sarcasm or irony, it's the way in which I say things so directly that I make people laugh. :)

When I have read the definitions of sarcasm and irony they don't make sense to me in a way that I am then able to recognize them when I encounter them.

I think I used to use sarcasm when I was a teenager, in a defensive way, as my dad would often say "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" in response to what I had said.

The examples given it the song "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisset, help me to better understand what irony is.

I think sometimes I respond to sarcasm and irony appropriately and am sometimes able to use them too. But, expressing them through text is more difficult for me than expressing them verbally.

Is it possible for an aspie to understand sarcasm and irony?
I think I'm an aspie. But I can understand irony and sarcasm. No aspie can understand irony and sarcasm?

Sorry for my English, I'm Brazilian.
Not only is it possible for an Aspie to understand irony and sarcasm, but with practice, a mature Aspie can use sarcasm with surgical precision to destroy an adversary.
Although never officially diagnosed as an Aspie, President Calvin
Coolidge exhibited many characteristics of one.
Although Coolidge was known to be a skilled and effective public speaker, in private he was a man of few words and was commonly referred to as "Silent Cal". A possibly apocryphal story has it that a matron, seated next to him at a dinner, said to him, "I made a bet today that I could get more than two words out of you." He replied, "You lose.

New Threads

Top Bottom