• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction/question

SkyBallin

Hello everyone! My name is Dalton & I'm 17 years old who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at the early age of 2 years old, but I'm high functioning & I'm able to socialize & do daily tasks without a problem. So my question is do you think that it's possible for me to become a nurse one day? I've wanted to become one pretty much my whole entire life, and i think part of me wanting to pursue nursing is because 90% of my family are either nurses or Drs

Well, as long as you put your mind to it and study hard and do extremely well in your classes while in College/University, I think you'd be able to do it

And there's plenty of people who're on the Spectrum and are in the Medical field, one woman here on the Forums is a former Pharmacist

Also, Welcome to the forums; I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the future :)

Last edited:
Welcome Dalton! I have Aspergers and I’m a medical doctor, so it’s not impossible ;) I think it really depends on how good you are at focusing, how good you are at absorbing knowledge, how much work you’re willing to put in. And it doesn’t hurt if you love what you’re doing.

The exam to get into nurse's school is rough.
I went to one that was three days long, most of the testing was done by a psychiatrist.
He said out of the 30 people taking the exams, three would be chosen to go into training.
That was a long time ago, maybe things have changed.
But, I was one of the three and all I did was answer honestly because some of the psych test
questions I saw had no association with medicine or nursing.
I didn't finish the lengthy training and decided to pursue something that wouldn't involve working with
so many people...I'm the retired pharmacist woman!

It can be done. Welcome aboard. :D

It is certainly possible. I think you will have to develop some effective study techniques/routines that work for you to get through the college studying though (I can't speak about the nursing school since never been). I originally went into college with the idea of being pre-med but it quickly became apparent that it wasn't the thing for me. It definitely can be very overwhelming and cause great stress, but I think if you actually believe that it is your dream, then you can definitely overcome these obstacles.

New Threads

Top Bottom