• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introducing Me

Is Aspergers Syndrome (or Autismn) a curse or blessing for you?

• Blessing

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Curse

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Leah McCarthy

Leah McCarthy
My name is Leah McCarthy. I'm 18 years old and I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was 17. I found out I had Aspergers Syndrome after I went through a series of events. Since I was 13, my family has tried to figure out what my "problem was". I was diagnosed with anxiety, OCD, and depression. When I was in 11th grade I went to a small school, and when I say small school, I mean 7 people of all grades. I was pretty emotionally messed up then. I made suicide threats, I cut myself, and isolated myself at random times. I turned to friends at my school about my problems. They had to do everything they could to keep me from cutting or trying to commit suicide. After Labor Day I got a letter in the mail saying that I was not allowed to come back to school. I had been expelled because I continued, after being told not to to talk about my problems. The next day I went on social websites and found out that my friends from the school (my only friends at the time) had all blocked me. Later on I found out the teacher of the school had told them to block me and not reply to any of my messages. I was heart broken. It took six months for each of my friends to come back, and when they did I was always crying from joy. I had missed them so much. During those six months I saw a therapist because my parents realized this was something serious. I absolutely loved my therapist. She was beyond any therapist I've ever known. To get over my fear of the bus, coming from work she parked her car in a shopping mall and took the bus to work. When my appointment came time, she took the bus with me, down to where she had parked her car. Then she treated me out to lunch. She treated me out to lunch three times. She was absolutely amazing!!!! Through observing me she told my parents she thought I had Aspergers like her son. After looking it up, and a couple more months, I was officially diagnosed. A lot of things make sense now. I never knew why I cried when kids in high school made noises and now I know it's sound sensitivity. It was really nice to find the right diagnosis. I have one brother, two half sisters, and my mom and dad. My brother and I fight a lot because of my Aspergers, my mom and I fight a lot too, but my dad is more understanding of mental illnesses. In some ways I'm glad I have Aspergers and others it's really hard. I'm a really emotional person, I absolutely love to be, well lovey. I love family get togethers, hugs and spending time with people. Unfortunately, my family isn't really like that. Sometimes but not usually. It's really hard to feel like the different one in the family. Or to feel like if you weren't like this, your family would be better off. I doubt anyone will read this :p it's so long!!! I do want to be a therapist one day, so if anyone needs help or whatever, I also would like to help!

It does suck you lose people in your life if you express yourself in the wrong way. I glad I have freedom to express here and almost always have someone to comment on my posts. Suicidal can be a scary thing and I had a recent period of it. I glad you had some support to prevent it. You will meet a lot of nice people here. Welcome to the site.

Thank goodness for great therapists.

I'm so glad you're doing better, Leah. I think your family will come around. It takes everyone a little time to adapt. Our families are quite similar. Mine tends to be emotionally reserved around most people while I'm a ball of concentrated feelings. But my mom, dad, and brother understand me a little more every day, so I think that will happen for you, too.

Welcome!

Thank goodness for great therapists.

I'm so glad you're doing better, Leah. I think your family will come around. It takes everyone a little time to adapt. Our families are quite similar. Mine tends to be emotionally reserved around most people while I'm a ball of concentrated feelings. But my mom, dad, and brother understand me a little more every day, so I think that will happen for you, too.

Welcome!
I agree I loved her! She thought I was really funny. I even inspired her once! Thanks! It was so hard to go through that but that's the reason this all happened. Haha my family is like that. My dad sits at the computer watching baseball, my mom reads on her bed and my brother plays video games in his room. I think my family understands me, but they want me to I guess improve on some of the things that cause stress. Thanks for replying, really made my day :)

I read it, and I understand some of it. For me it was more of a curse, since it never did me any good. Now that you have survived it and know what it is, you can move on, and at a much younger age then I figured that out, so jealous. Welcome to the mad house, we have tea hourly, mind the hatter.

I read it, and I understand some of it. For me it was more of a curse, since it never did me any good. Now that you have survived it and know what it is, you can move on, and at a much younger age then I figured that out, so jealous. Welcome to the mad house, we have tea hourly, mind the hatter.
Hahaha reminded me of Alice in Wonderland.

Welcome :)

You were definitely lucky to have such a kind, and understanding therapist; and one who was able to spot your AS too. I hope you feel right at home here; as you can see we have some rather lovely members, who are quite helpful too. We may be worlds apart, but I think many of us consider this place their second home.

Feel free to check out our resources section, for books on AS. Anything by Dr.Tony Attwood is especially recommended: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book to women on the spectrum. It's an easy read, and deals with emotional, and social challenges, that many women on the spectrum can face: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Hello Leah,
Your story is touching. I went most of my life not knowing what was "Wrong". I was misdiagnosed several times, as nobody knew what Aspergers was back then. It has been both a curse and a blessing for me. When a curse, it is the darkest thing one could ever imagine. I dare not even tell anyone what I see. When a blessing, it is the brightest, happiest world full of sunshine, flowers and rainbows.
I was glad you shared your story, and I am glad that you found us. I love your energy and look forward to hearing from you again. Thank You.

Welcome :)

You were definitely lucky to have such a kind, and understanding therapist; and one who was able to spot your AS too. I hope you feel right at home here; as you can see we have some rather lovely members, who are quite helpful too. We may be worlds apart, but I think many of us consider this place their second home.

Feel free to check out our resources section, for books on AS. Anything by Dr.Tony Attwood is especially recommended: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book to women on the spectrum. It's an easy read, and deals with emotional, and social challenges, that many women on the spectrum can face: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com
Thank you! I'll check out that book, sounds really interesting!

Hey Leah! :) I'm a 17 year old Aspie and I was diagnosed earlier this year. Just like you, people thought I was too eccentric and I've had lots of things happen to me too but I'll be your friend if you want!

Hey Leah! :) I'm a 17 year old Aspie and I was diagnosed earlier this year. Just like you, people thought I was too eccentric and I've had lots of things happen to me too but I'll be your friend if you want!
That'd be awesome! I'd love to get to know your story!

New Threads

Top Bottom