• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Internal Dialogue?

Misfate

An isolated cloud in the sky
I am constantly having conversations in my head. Sometimes when I am stressed, I will be my own therapist, creating a scenario in which me#1 tells me#2 what has been happening, how I feel, yada-yada-yada, and me#2 will give me#1 advice to follow. Another scenario is where my intrusive thoughts (the spammer/troll/flamer, if you will) will not cease, and logical thoughts of mine will kick in, "flagging" the comments of my intrusive thoughts. Does anybody else have examples of these?

Last edited:
Yes, I am my own best friend. I reason things out in my head at times through conversation. I also have the "Evil Twin" in here that I have to deal with daily. Sometimes the good me is stronger, and sometimes it is the naughty me.

Aside from the standard Good, Bad, Neutral personas everybody has, I tend to chat with specific emotions or conglomerates of emotions. Most of the time it is by my own choosing, but sometimes one will have an opinion they want heard whether I like it or not.

I do this. It's helped me out at times. Other times it doesn't work, as I wind up not getting sleep at night, so a better way for me to deal with things is to go to my mum. :)

Only in your head? :) I will talk to myself out loud when I'm alone, driving or so. Sometimes, I accidentally do that when in public, fortunately not very often. I think it comes from being used to talk to my dog, I just kept doing it even after he died. Sometimes I pretend to have dialogues with different people as well, I assume I do this when I want a second opinion on something.

Yes. I have internal monologues (you could call them dialogues, but since they are really only with myself...). My mind narrates my life sometimes. Sometimes I either debate things with myself internally or create someone else in my mind with whom to have a conversation. I've had conversations with celebrities, fictitious persons (including people I made up), and people I know IRL - all in my head. I like to do this before approaching someone IRL to converse.

I always have an internal monologue running in the background of my head. Sometimes it's good, other times, not so good. Similar to Ice above, I have mental conversations with people I'm thinking about, and I often use that as a "dress rehearsal" for a meeting with that person IRL. I also talk out loud to myself quite a bit, mostly narrating whatever I'm doing at the time: "I've gotta pick up that laundry now and get it in the wash," things like that. Sometimes, I talk out loud to others as though they were in the room with me and just imagine how they might respond. I find that a bit bizarre, but ... oh well. :) That's mostly when I'm doing some mundane tasks around the house or driving in the car alone. Boring situations are very stressful to me, so I liven them up with some pseudo-conversation. The great thing about it, as opposed to having someone actually there, is that I can just shut up when I've had enough it. :)

Best conversations I have are with myself, I really appreciate the friendship I have with the witty, hyper intelligent, loving person that is me.

Shame it's in my head, I could do with a real friend like that ;)

Interesting question. Intrusive thoughts are native to my OCD, and a constant battle. I often have internal conversations with myself to prevent performing the repetitive rituals that can consume me, as they only relieve the obsessive thoughts momentarily anyway. My other disorders also require internal mono-/dialogues, though a lot of that is quite concise. Don't tic. Don't touch that. Don't say that. No. No. No. No. NO. For my sanity, I also have an affirmative internal narrative. Good job. Atta boy. You got it. Those things I like to say aloud sometimes, just to hear them. It helps balance out the unending self-chastisement.

I don't know if it's down to my AS or if it's the sum of all my co-morbidity, but inside my head is also a gatekeeper, routing input by giving it directions, sometimes quite literally. When I journal as part of my processing, I often respond to what I'm writing aloud if that counts toward your question. And I do occasionally tackle problems in my head as though with a counsellor, talking things out. It's generally my cognitive aspect giving advice to my emotional and behavioural ones.

Your 2nd paragraph. This is something I do too. My internal counsellor is referred to as 'sensei' and keeps me sane (I think)

I do occasionally tackle problems in my head as though with a counsellor, talking things out.

I do this all the time, perhaps because I've never found a sympathetic councellor. I also wonder if this is common with people who live in isolation; I tell jokes - and laugh at them (sad or wot?), I have full blown conversations which include opposing opinions, I have discussions over things like what I'd like to do today.
I'm not looking for hairs on the palms of my hands, or any other signs of madness.. I hope, but who knows?

I am constantly having conversations in my head. Sometimes when I am stressed, I will be my own therapist, creating a scenario in which me#1 tells me#2 what has been happening, how I feel, yada-yada-yada, and me#2 will give me#1 advice to follow. Another scenario is where my intrusive thoughts (the spammer/troll/flamer, if you will) will not cease, and logical thoughts of mine will kick in, "flagging" the comments of my intrusive thoughts. Does anybody else have examples of these?

Yes, all the time! I'm both my own best friend or my own worst enemy. Like you said, I often work through problems or otherwise stressful things with myself in my head, or I'm mentally berating myself about one thing or another. I also have a bad habit of doing the exact same thing for conversations i'm dreading, or events that will probably never happen but i stress about them anyways. Like yesterday my supervisor warned me that there's an armed robber going around and what to do if we get one (me specifically), so naturally that's all i thought about for the rest of the evening after work. >_< Course i'll do the same for other scenarios, like if my supervisor were to randomly ask if i were an aspie.

I do this all the time, perhaps because I've never found a sympathetic councellor. I also wonder if this is common with people who live in isolation; I tell jokes - and laugh at them (sad or wot?), I have full blown conversations which include opposing opinions, I have discussions over things like what I'd like to do today.
I'm not looking for hairs on the palms of my hands, or any other signs of madness.. I hope, but who knows?
I think that is awesome, Spiller.
I also crack myself up, even in public places.
My flatmate will given me a puzzled look when I suddonly Burst in to laughter.

I engage in this behavior as well. Along with responding to my own inquiries and laughing out loud from some thought or internal statement mine will take on tones of my own voice, especially when I was younger and had little sleep. It wold almost sound like it was yelling at me...
It's like an internal homunculus (first time I've ever been able to use homunculus in a sentence without referring to a work of fiction yay!) that I can bounce ideas off of.

Best conversations I have are with myself, I really appreciate the friendship I have with the witty, hyper intelligent, loving person that is me.

Shame it's in my head, I could do with a real friend like that ;)
I'm real...you could talk to me. I've yet to fill out my profile and get a photo up...but am working on it. I identify aspie, have an aspie son. I prefer people on the spectrum. Wish it were easier to find them in real life.

I have internal conversations, but they are with an imagined version of somebody that I know. Without the fantasy of such a person (sorry for the sexual connotations the word "fantasy" has taken on nowadays, I don't mean it in that sense, but simply in the sense of something imagined) without such an imaginary other person, my thinking is wordless.
Actually, they are not conversations but monologues, where I dominate the conversation and the other person listens silently.

I'm real...you could talk to me. I've yet to fill out my profile and get a photo up...but am working on it. I identify aspie, have an aspie son. I prefer people on the spectrum. Wish it were easier to find them in real life.

I really appreciate that. So many great people on this site.

Thank you.

I have always had continuous monologue in my head, ever since I was 3 months old. However, unless the monologue represents a conversation with someone else, much of the monologue is wordless, consisting instead of pure concepts. The voice in my head just makes a space where the wordless concept is. While it is obvious why wordless concepts must exist when I was a baby, the wordless concept must still exist, because the language of my words (English) comes from people with minds so different from mine that their language does not suffice for me. I have made up many words for myself, but I am used to wordless concepts from before I had language.
I can vividly remember a monologue I had at 3 months old. It was very existential, but contained no words at all. (See my thread "first memory", to be posted in the near future.)

I do the therapist thing too. I also imagine I´m talking to friend, a person that I know, and I try to imagine the advice that people would give me. I also have conversations with people from the past, someone that I miss or have something to say to.

New Threads

Top Bottom