• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Insert clever titel here*

Paiva

V.I.P Member
To be completely honest, I just came here yesterday to ask a question. But I've been looking around, and people seem really friendly, so I've decided to stay. I haven't participated in a forum for years, so I might be a bit rusty.

Anyway, an introduction seems to be a good place to start. I'm a 30 year old woman from Denmark. A few years ago, I accidentally stumpled upon an article on Aspergers Syndrome. Before this, I had no idea it existed. I became very interested in the subject, as it seemed to fit very well with the symptoms I've experienced my whole life. Since then, I've read a lot about Aspergers and taken all the tests I could find. It all seems to suggest, that it's very likely that I have Aspergers (or ASD, as I guess it's called now).

So at this point, I'm pretty much a self-diagnosed aspie. I really want to get an official diagnosis, though. As I child, I struggled with so many things. Yet my dad would not allow me to get any help. He once kicked a health visitor out of our house for suggesting that my development might be a bit different from other children.

I guess the reason it's so important for me to get an official diagnosis, is to make sure I don't make the same mistake as my dad. It's taken me 30 years, but I'm finally able to accept help.

Ok, this introduction turned out a bit more serious than I had anticipated. I'm actually a very positive and optimistic persion, so don't be afraid to say hi.

Hi & welcome,
Better late then never as far as figuring this out. Quite a few of us are self-diagnosed. There is a common experience of after finding out, mentally replaying back various things in your life and much more making sense. Like you were missing the decoder ring before. Hope you find your stay satisfactory

Hej og velkommen! Nice to meet you. I am in the UK but speak some Danish. I am 34 and first suspected Aspergers for myself, ten to fifteen years ago but due to some misconceptions I thought I was mistaken and put it to the back of my mind. Then about a year ago I did some online tests and my results all strongly indicated an ASD. In my case my family always suspected I had Asperger's or similar but they always hit brick walls and my problems were dismissed as attention seeking or due to clinical depression which I also have. I am now going through the assessment process but only had one assessment of three and despite them telling me I would get my next appointment by the start of July, I have not received anything yet.

Hej og velkommen! Nice to meet you. I am in the UK but speak some Danish. I am 34 and first suspected Aspergers for myself, ten to fifteen years ago but due to some misconceptions I thought I was mistaken and put it to the back of my mind. Then about a year ago I did some online tests and my results all strongly indicated an ASD. In my case my family always suspected I had Asperger's or similar but they always hit brick walls and my problems were dismissed as attention seeking or due to clinical depression which I also have. I am now going through the assessment process but only had one assessment of three and despite them telling me I would get my next appointment by the start of July, I have not received anything yet.

Hej! I have to ask, why did you learn Danish? Do you have friends/family here, or was it out of interest? It's not a very common language to learn, unless you live here and you have to. But then again, I learned some Finnish just because it was the only language on the Scandinavian packaging that I didn't understand.

It sucks that you have to go through all that trouble to get your assessment. I work in a place where I have a lot of contact with various parts of the health system, and it pains me to see how often it fails the people who really need it. People with really severe anxiety, for instance, will have to wait a year to begin treatment.

Hej ! Welcome to our little Aspie Home.

You might find it beneficial to try the RAADS test. Just google for raads-r.

Enjoy ! :D:cool:

Hej ! Welcome to our little Aspie Home.

You might find it beneficial to try the RAADS test. Just google for raads-r.

Enjoy ! :D:cool:

Thank you. I took the test, I found it very interesting that it gave me the ability to choose between now and when I was young.

Hej! I have to ask, why did you learn Danish? Do you have friends/family here, or was it out of interest? It's not a very common language to learn, unless you live here and you have to. But then again, I learned some Finnish just because it was the only language on the Scandinavian packaging that I didn't understand.

It sucks that you have to go through all that trouble to get your assessment. I work in a place where I have a lot of contact with various parts of the health system, and it pains me to see how often it fails the people who really need it. People with really severe anxiety, for instance, will have to wait a year to begin treatment.

Just out of interest :) Danish, especially the dialects/accents of South Jutland sounds quite a bit like dialects and accents of the North East of England (where a lot of my ancestors came from), and Scots. There is a Danish site with old clips of Danish Speakers, and a UK site with clips of English dialect Speakers from a similar era. Some of the clips from those two areas sound very similar indeed, and the English dialect speakers use a lot of words of Danish origin. Due to the low German influence on Danish and some common heritage, there are more similarities with English and Danish than there are between English and German, for example. I understand other languages too, Welsh, Arabic and French but cannot speak them (even after 20+ years of learning them on and off), but with Danish I can. I am on some Danish-language analogue photography groups on facebook, and I write posts and comments on there in Danish and English. :)

Just out of interest :) Danish, especially the dialects/accents of South Jutland sounds quite a bit like dialects and accents of the North East of England (where a lot of my ancestors came from), and Scots. There is a Danish site with old clips of Danish Speakers, and a UK site with clips of English dialect Speakers from a similar era. Some of the clips from those two areas sound very similar indeed, and the English dialect speakers use a lot of words of Danish origin. Due to the low German influence on Danish and some common heritage, there are more similarities with English and Danish than there are between English and German, for example. I understand other languages too, Welsh, Arabic and French but cannot speak them (even after 20+ years of learning them on and off), but with Danish I can. I am on some Danish-language analogue photography groups on facebook, and I write posts and comments on there in Danish and English. :)

Ah, very nice. I find the connections between languages fascinating as well. I like understanding parts of a language I don't speak simply because of it's resemblance to a language I do speak. It's nice to discover the different ways languages are connected. I loved learning Latin for that reason.
Right now I have a strange fascination with Shetland dialect, since it's mostly English/Scottish with some Scandinavian words thrown in.

New Threads

Top Bottom