• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm new here

Asterism

I guess being new here is sort of a prerequisite to posting an introduction, so my headline is little more than a statement of the obvious. Anyway, I'm a designer, web developer and lead a communication team, which might seem an odd fit for someone with mild Aspergers. I'm tempted to explain, but have learned when it's time to shut up. ;)

Hi I'm new too currently a deputy headteacher in a school which again may seem unlikely, I have also been a headteacher twice (very unhappy times) before which put me on the long road to self diagnosis, now diagnosed and learning how to manage my AS daily, am hoping to meet new friends on here as I have always found that tricky with NTs

Welcome, Asterism! Someone else who loves the Pleiades! :D

Yup. Astronomy is another one of my interests. There's nothing quite like sitting alone at night at the top of a mountain on a moonless night with a telescope to make someone realize how utterly big and amazing the universe is.

Welcome :)

I'm keen to know how you manage your position as head of communications, if you don't mind sharing. Socially adapted Aspies are always an interest of mine.

I'm keen to know how you manage your position as head of communications, if you don't mind sharing. Socially adapted Aspies are always an interest of mine.

Aspies have certain gifts and talents. We also have challenges that force us to try harder, and that extra effort develops other strengths.

One of those challenges is intuitively understanding other people, which most aspies (including myself) have a great deal of difficulty doing. This leads to a lifetime of studying how other people behave from a logical and analytical perspective rather than the intuitive and emotional perspective that others have.

This rational and unemotional view helps provide the kind of detached analytical perspectives that are useful when coordinating assets and processes used to solve mass communication problems. For example an aspie can often set aside the static of people-to-people relationships and concentrate instead on analyzing groups of people and their behaviors as impersonal statistics. This ability provides clarity and context when developing communication strategies that target various demographic groups in ways intended to influence behavior.

My background is design and web development, which are also problem solving endeavors. I tend to tackle communication problems in much the same way. The people I manage and our clients are all non-aspies, so I rely on them for the kinds of viewpoints that provide balance to my tendency to discount interpersonal relationships and bungle office politics. Even though I'm viewed in the workplace as a bit scary, awkward and unpredictable, my aspie perspective tends to get results when I rely on those around me to make up for my Asperger-related drawbacks. I think those I work closely with understand this as well, and I'm indebted to their patience with me.

Aspies have certain gifts and talents. We also have challenges that force us to try harder, and that extra effort develops other strengths.

One of those challenges is intuitively understanding other people, which most aspies (including myself) have a great deal of difficulty doing. This leads to a lifetime of studying how other people behave from a logical and analytical perspective rather than the intuitive and emotional perspective that others have.

This rational and unemotional view helps provide the kind of detached analytical perspectives that are useful when coordinating assets and processes used to solve mass communication problems. For example an aspie can often set aside the static of people-to-people relationships and concentrate instead on analyzing groups of people and their behaviors as impersonal statistics. This ability provides clarity and context when developing communication strategies that target various demographic groups in ways intended to influence behavior.

My background is design and web development, which are also problem solving endeavors. I tend to tackle communication problems in much the same way. The people I manage and our clients are all non-aspies, so I rely on them for the kinds of viewpoints that provide balance to my tendency to discount interpersonal relationships and bungle office politics. Even though I'm viewed in the workplace as a bit scary, awkward and unpredictable, my aspie perspective tends to get results when I rely on those around me to make up for my Asperger-related drawbacks. I think those I work closely with understand this as well, and I'm indebted to their patience with me.

Thanks for that intelligent, and insightful, response; it mirrors much of my own thoughts and experiences on this subject. It's always great to meet Aspies who have learned to successfully incorporate this in to their job :)

New Threads

Top Bottom