• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I’m nervous about a date scheduled for Sunday

Thank You.

Well, I didn’t see the first Dune. If we see a movie, I’ll let her pick it.

There’s also bowling.

If we come back here, I’m going to suggest watching Friday’s episode of Jeopardy and listening to The Beatles - my favorite band, and also whom she’s wanting to know more about and listen to more of.

I appreciate the advice. I’m hoping to pay for everything today, as I want a woman I can spoil and pamper. I don’t drink alcohol, though.

The date went amazing. We spent about three-and-half hours together, about an hour-and-half at the restaurant, a similar timeframe at my place. We watched Jeopardy, listened to some Beatles songs - cuddled, held hands, kissed about 3-4 times yesterday. It was my first kiss in more than two years.

Unbeknownst to me, we texted back-and-forth afterwards as she responded to my text saying she had a nice time (I sent her the selfie we took with her hand on my face). I thanked her again, then she asked my plans and we kept talking.

So, I’m over the moon, and it turns out I didn’t have to withhold my diagnosis because she came forward with her being on the spectrum, and let her know I was, too.

Now, I have to wonder what I have to do to keep her? Do I pull out all the stops? I’m willing to talk to her every day, but not sure if she is. We’re in a small town about 10 minutes apart from each other, and there’s not a lot to do.

I’m thinking of having dinner with her sometime this week after she gets off of work and making us both plant-based burgers, just not sure when I should offer.

It's great to hear it turned out this way!

IMO Aspie + Aspie relationships are better for both than ND-NT, so this seems like a very good start..

Dinner timing: Ask any time (soon is good) for "dinner sometime". Displaying early interest is good, being flexible with the date makes it easy for her to manage the intensity (see below).

Other things - you'll need to look for local activities. Hiking? Interesting restaurants? A spa (my daughter (same age range) likes these)? If you cook for her (great plan!), you'll have a good opportunity to ask for suggestions.

This gets a lot easier if/when you become an "official couple" because you can spend weekends away, so the local activities don't have to be "special" in the same way..

Regarding "intensity":: I don't have much direct experience, but there's one thing I've seen here twice, where I've talked to the NT M-side of an NT-ND relationship.
I guess I'd call it a negative consequence of "emotional overload" + Aspie avoidance.
BTW I'm somewhat Alexithymic, which seems to buffer the overload - but I have the avoidance behavior so I understand that part directly.

In both cases the early interactions went very well, the NT-M was genuinely interested in an LTR, and made things too intense. The ND-F took a short break then ghosted the NT-M in a way that seemed like "intensity avoidance".

I can't know the full details OFC (no data), but the NT-M's I spoke to were absolutely genuine in their interest and their disappointment.

If I have a suggestion here it's to be very sure there's an ongoing, up-to-date. open, and honest communication between you. Don't assume anything. Don't go in too fast or too intensely.

A minor thing: given enough time, eventually everyone gets bored or runs out of inspiration with long calls and/or online chats. If either party gets tired or doesn't feel like continuing, just agree to stop.
As a standard protocol, let the one who wants to exit first control when it ends, not the one who wants to continue.

GL!

Last edited:
It's great to hear it turned out this way!

IMO Aspie + Aspie relationships are better for both than ND-NT, so this seems like a very good start..

Dinner timing: Ask any time (soon is good) for "dinner sometime". Displaying early interest is good, being flexible with the date makes it easy for her to manage the intensity (see below).

Other things - you'll need to look for local activities. Hiking? Interesting restaurants? A spa (my daughter (same age range) likes these)? If you cook for her (great plan!), you'll have a good opportunity to ask for suggestions.

This gets a lot easier if/when you become an "official couple" because you can spend weekends away, so the local activities don't have to be "special" in the same way..

Regarding "intensity":: I don't have much direct experience, but there's one thing I've seen here twice, where I've talked to the NT M-side of an NT-ND relationship.
I guess I'd call it a negative consequence of "emotional overload" + Aspie avoidance.
BTW I'm somewhat Alexithymic, which seems to buffer the overload - but I have the avoidance behavior so I understand that part directly.

In both cases the early interactions went very well, the NT-M was genuinely interested in an LTR, and made things too intense. The ND-F took a short break then ghosted the NT-M in a way that seemed like "intensity avoidance".

I can't know the full details OFC (no data), but the NT-M's I spoke to were absolutely genuine in their interest and their disappointment.

If I have a suggestion here it's to be very sure there's an ongoing, up-to-date. open, and honest communication between you. Don't assume anything. Don't go in too fast or too intensely.

A minor thing: given enough time, eventually everyone gets bored or runs out of inspiration with long calls and/or online chats. If either party gets tired or doesn't feel like continuing, just agree to stop.
As a standard protocol, let the one who wants to exit first control when it ends, not the one who wants to continue.

GL!

Thank You.

Update. She agreed, and she’ll be coming over Friday for dinner and will let me know if she’s running behind.

I’m not much of a cook, but I’ve got some plant-based burger patties for both of us. I’ve got some ideas - bowling, a place to walk nearby, movies, maybe travel into a near city.

I just want to keep it fresh between us.

I’m often busy on weekends.

I just want to know when to communicate, and then she surprises me. I wasn’t going to message her until yesterday after talking to her Friday, as I was working and she was going to talk by phone to a childhood friend.

Then today, I deliberated whether to message her or not this evening. Then she reaches out to me this afternoon, says she hopes I’m having a good day and is looking forward to Friday.

FWIW, I don't know the protocols for personal texting, and I don't like "text tennis" at all.

I'm a big believer in positive signaling and in clear and honest communication though.

My response to that text would be an immediate "Me too :)" but not more than that. OTOH, in your situation I would have explained my aversion to endless texting and negotiated a suitable compromise before the first date.

Why not just tell her that you're not used to this kind of thing, and ask for an explanation? Tell her you asked someone (me) and they were completely useless :)

Everyone likes being a teacher. And during such a discussion it will be easy to figure out a suitable "protocol".

Last edited:
FWIW, I don't know the protocols for personal texting, and I don't like "text tennis" at all.

I'm a big believer in positive signaling and in clear and honest communication though.

My response to that text would be an immediate "Me too :)" but not more than that. OTOH, in your situation I would have explained my aversion to endless texting and negotiated a suitable compromise before the first date.

Why not just tell her that you're not used to this kind of thing, and ask for an explanation? Tell her you asked someone (me) and they were completely useless :)

Everyone likes being a teacher. And during such a discussion it will be easy to figure out a suitable "protocol".

That’s very practically the same thing I said to her, more or less.

We haven’t texted since yesterday afternoon when setting Friday up. I haven’t heard from her and I haven’t reached out. I might do so tomorrow or Thursday.

I get it, because when texting back and forth, you can run out of things to say. That’s how I felt yesterday.

Personally, I don’t care if it means I text her every day or if it’s more spread out, but I’m not her and she’s not me. So, I don’t know what she’s thinking.

I do know on Sunday she was excited about seeing me again, initiated texting conversations both yesterday and Sunday and is looking forward to Friday.

Then again, the last one I was seeing went days without texting me or responding to me, then when I asked the day of if we were still on, she affirmed it.

I know I hope to make it official with her, but my last one and I saw each other for a month and never made it official, though my family and friends considered us boyfriend and girlfriend. So, I’m just going to enjoy the ride this time.

It’s also scary because I’ve been ignored/turned down by more women than I can count in my life. She would be only the fifth woman to have a second date with me and only my third relationship/partner.

It took until 25 to get my first girlfriend, four years for my next partner, three years until I met this one. I’d been kissless for more than two years.

I hope this is the last time I’ll have to do this.

I agree that I dont like text tennis.
However, my NT wife is very keen on letting folk who have contacted her know that she has read a message.

You might want to talk this over with her to make sure you have a common understanding, so if she thinks you are doing one thing and you think you are doing another then that is a recipe for misunderstanding and hurt - which you can do without.

It's the journey. You get a chance to learn about her, and about yourself. Remember to compliment her, and stay upbeat. Try not criticize her, that is such a turnoff. If you have to state something, then say something affirmative first. Sometimes you have a disagreement, but just be civil, and don't resort to name calling or blaming, or your relationship is pretty much doomed. Hey, congrats, you are a success story. :)

It's the journey. You get a chance to learn about her, and about yourself. Remember to compliment her, and stay upbeat. Try not criticize her, that is such a turnoff. If you have to state something, then say something affirmative first. Sometimes you have a disagreement, but just be civil, and don't resort to name calling or blaming, or your relationship is pretty much doomed. Hey, congrats, you are a success story. :)
I don’t know about that. It’s not the first time things have started promising with a woman, and previous ones that did fell apart.

It's a learn about the other person, we only learn about each other by hanging out and doing things together. So once in awhile, do something new together, cook together, go to a museum, check out a new restaurant. So it's not a failure just because you two didn't workout in the past, compatability is something we hope to find.

It's a learn about the other person, we only learn about each other by hanging out and doing things together. So once in awhile, do something new together, cook together, go to a museum, check out a new restaurant. So it's not a failure just because you two didn't workout in the past, compatability is something we hope to find.
I’m not much of a cook.

I’m willing to keep changing things and doing a wide variety of things if that’s what keeps this relationship going and working.

Cooking isn't necessary. It scores points because it demonstrates real-world capability and competence, and it also handles the "ritual meal" aspect. Just find some other way to demonstrate competence in something. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular.

The related "eating together" thing is strange if you think about it. It's so consistent across different cultures that I half suspect it's genetic. But the actual cooking aspect is different - definitely about competence.

I just saw @Alexej 's new post, which is consistent with this one.

It's important to show that you care about the other person as an individual - i.e. "its the caring that motivates you that's important" (I copied that directly from Alexej - excellent phrasing :)

There are a lot of ways to do this. It doesn't require money, and it can't be bought. This is e.g. what the "surprise gift" protocol is for (like Valentine's Day - you won't get a reminder, but you're not allowed to forget it).
It's about demonstrating you put an effort into getting it right (being "thoughtful".).

I'm not sure if you've sorted out a good pattern of communication. Some thoughts just in case:

* Attention and Affirmation (I called this "positive reinforcement" above) are generally important.
And it's something that's often not present at all in M-M social relationships (i.e. between guy friends), so it's easy to miss it. You may not be able to trust your instincts.

This is why it's important to get the comms protocol right - you need to make sure that e.g. an "unexpectedly long delay" between texts isn't interpreted in a negative way when you were just unwinding after a work-related "communication/human interaction overload".

On the plus side, you don't need to spend a lot of time to make a personalized "1-shot" reaction.
Icons are "too easy", but one sentence that's specific to the context is usually enough. Earlier I said I would just say "Me too" in response to something you put in your post. But "Me too - I've already bought all the ingredients" is what I'd do if I was in your exact situation.
(Remember I literally wouldn't date someone who doesn't accept my dislike for phone calls and texting. I'm definitely not suggesting you follow my approach :)

PS - you mentioned somewhere above that you've had some annoying interactions during previous dating interactions (i.e. with other people).
It sounded like you had been either set up for a foodie call, or were being tested as a possible "orbiter".
If someone who genuinely wants to date you can't come, they will definitely apologize and try to set up an interaction as soon as possible (like lunch or even a 15 min coffee date).

I probably said that if it happens to you and they don't contact you about it, just ghost them. If not, that's the move. It protects your time and energy - and towards impolite people, politeness is optional.

In contrast, your current interaction sounds literally perfect. Stay optimistic. Stay "upbeat" with her. Assume the best outcome is likely.

(BTW - I said that because I saw a little bit of "negative self-talk" above. I don't think it's justified. And even if it was, "optimistic and outwardly upbeat" is still the best move if you're "playing to "win".)

Last edited:
Update. She reached out to me last night saying she was losing her voice and she hoped to be better for today and let me know in the morning. Today, she texts me she completely lost her voice and called in that she would miss work.

She asked if we should postpone, and I told her we should, unless she was somehow better, and said the last thing she wanted was to get me sick.

She said we can retry for Sunday evening, and we can figure it out late Sunday morning if she still doesn’t sound well.

So, I told her to feel better, get well, I’m sorry, along those lines. She told me to have a good day and a sunflower emoji, something she did at the beginning of the week.

I hope she gets better and I take her at her word. One of my flaws, and I have a lot of them, is I don’t always take women at their word when canceling/postponing, but this one I do.

I’m just afraid of getting hurt yet again and don’t want that. I get paranoid women I’m seeing lose interest in me and I’m trying not to get paranoid with her, though it’s hard. My psychiatrist told me yesterday she thinks I’m saying and doing all the right things, but stressed the importance of a positive mindset.

The last person I saw a few years ago, she couldn’t meet with me one weekend because she was sick and we saw each other a few more times after that.

So, I hope she gets better and I can make that food for us on Sunday.

Why worry about your diagnosis I was in my mid fifties before I figured out I was on the spectrum made no difference just be yourself.

It won't surprise me if it's more common for women to lose interest than it is for men in the early stages of dating before becoming official as in women tend to lose interest more than men do after a first or second date

It won't surprise me if it's more common for women to lose interest than it is for men in the early stages of dating before becoming official as in women tend to lose interest more than men do after a first or second date
Based on the things I’m saying here, I sure hope that isn’t the case.

We had such an awesome first date.

@BewilderedPerson

Everything is still tracking at 100% for this being genuine.

I put this in my post #34 o use as a test for "foodie calls", but it also applies with a justified and necessary cancellation:
If someone who genuinely wants to date you can't come, they will definitely apologize and try to set up an interaction as soon as possible (like lunch or even a 15 min coffee date).
The principle is that the affected person takes the initiative to postpone the same activity or to arrange a meeting. Which she did.
So OFC you stay optimistic (your side) and upbeat (towards her).

So you want to communicate a few simple things:
* "Thanks for informing me" (this can be integrated with and/or implied in others (e.g. the Sympathy" part)
* Sympathy & "get well soon". (Sounds like that's done). Note that this hits the "focus on her as an individual" spot. It's part of the "protocol", and should not be forgotten
* We can postpone the same activity, or figure out a new one (this is to confirm your interest, and make it easy for her to reconfirm her own interest). This may have been done already, but a concise repetition won't hurt.
* "Let me know when you're feeling better." This can be formulated in many different ways - the point is to explicitly ask her to "trigger" the next date negotiation. (i.e. you implicitly assume there will be a next date, and all that needs to be done is figure out the details).
The alternative is that you have to contact her every few days, which isn't good for multiple reasons (e.g. it makes you look "needy", it could be an imposition on someone who's sick, etc)

Depending on your personal style, you could find something online to cheer her up, and send just the link + a smiley via text.
Content should be simple; unconditionally positive (no sarcasm/irony); show a transition from "less good" to "good", surmounting an obstacle, etc.; and ideally be themed around something you have in common.
Or if you can't find a theme, there's always puppies :)

e.g. something connected to the Beatles song "Here Comes the Sun" would work.

Last edited:
@BewilderedPerson

I put this in my post #34 o use as a test for "foodie calls", but it also applies with a justified and necessary cancellation:

The principle is that the affected person takes the initiative to postpone the same activity or to arrange a meeting. Which she did.

* "Thanks for informing me" (this can be integrated with and/or implied in others (e.g. the Sympathy" part)
* Sympathy & "get well soon". (Sounds like that's done). Note that this hits the "focus on her as an individual" spot. It's part of the "protocol", and should not be forgotten
* We can postpone the same activity, or figure out a new one (this is to confirm your interest, and make it easy for her to reconfirm her own interest). This may have been done already, but a concise repetition won't hurt.
* "Let me know when you're feeling better." This can be formulated in many different ways - the point is to explicitly ask her to "trigger" the next date negotiation. (i.e. you implicitly assume there will be a next date, and all that needs to be done is figure out the details).
The alternative is that you have to contact her every few days, which isn't good for multiple reasons (e.g. it makes you look "needy", it could be an imposition on someone who's sick, etc)

Depending on your personal style, you could find something online to cheer her up, and send just the link + a smiley via text.
Content should be simple; unconditionally positive (no sarcasm/irony); show a transition from "less good" to "good", surmounting an obstacle, etc.; and ideally be themed around something you have in common.

@BewilderedPerson

@BewilderedPerson

@Steelbookcollector217

Yep, it’s been a few years since I’ve gotten past the first date.

@Hypnalis

I texted her a Gif with a bear and some flowers saying, ‘Get Well Soon Sweetheart.’ She said if she thinks she’ll get better, she eventually will.

I told her of course she will, and she’s going to get through this, and she thanked me.

She still seems open to it, because you said if she still sounds like death late Sunday morning, we’ll figure it out then. As of right now, we’re shooting for tomorrow night.

New Threads

Top Bottom