• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm going to the UK in May! Any suggestions on what to do?

Cinnamon115

I'm going on a trip for a class to the UK in May. I will be going to Grantham, Edinburgh, London, and Leicester. I'm also hoping to go to Wales for a day, though it may not happen. Here's my question: Does anyone have some good suggestions of what to do while I'm there? I've always wanted to go to Sherwood Forest and see Baker Street in London, so I will be doing those for certain. Also does anyone have advice for me while I'm there?

Eat lots of scones and crumpets and see the Queens Jewels and the Queens guard? I don't know I'm not from there but seeing the old Celtic stuff in the museum, and the Giant chalk animals might be nice?
And lots of castles...I like the cute little castles in the country side more.

Be sure to pay your respects to Prince Edward V & Prince Richard in the Tower of London. ;)

I'm going on a trip for a class to the UK in May. I will be going to Grantham, Edinburgh, London, and Leicester. I'm also hoping to go to Wales for a day, though it may not happen. Here's my question: Does anyone have some good suggestions of what to do while I'm there? I've always wanted to go to Sherwood Forest and see Baker Street in London, so I will be doing those for certain. Also does anyone have advice for me while I'm there?
In London, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum and the Tower of London. In Scotland, you could see if you could go to Lake Inverness, if you're interested in legends of Nessie. Though you didn't list it, I remember enjoying a day trip to Whitby, but that was while I was staying in York. In Whitby there is St. Mary's graveyard which may have inspired the book Dracula. In Wales there are the remains of Tintern Abbey, which inspired a poem by Wordsworth. I think it all depends on what exactly you find fun - so much of the fun for me was walking around the towns and cities and eating in pubs and having tea at 4 as well :) Maybe you could visit Chatsworth House or Stonehenge - I felt that with a rail pass, many trips were possible while there! We stayed in youth hostels along the way - but I don't think that is the greatest situation for an Aspie, it would require adjusting.

If you come to Wales, see some of our awesome castles! I can also thoroughly recommend the Brecon Beacons national park and Snowdonia national park. If you end up in north Wales (more specifically Anglesey) then you should try to visit the place in Wales with the longest name in Britain, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Yes, that is a real place and yes, I can pronounce it :D.

The Castles of Wales
Visit Snowdonia - Snowdonia accommodation, things to do, attractions
Home - Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales
Llanfairpwll - Llanfair PG in Anglesey, North Wales, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I'm going on a trip for a class to the UK in May. Does anyone have some good suggestions

Don't mention Brexit
Don't mention Jeremy Corbin
Don't mention Donald Trump
Don't mention the snap general election 2017
Don't speak too loudly (we can hear you)
Don't mention scottish independence

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If you come to Wales, see some of our awesome castles! I can also thoroughly recommend the Brecon Beacons national park and Snowdonia national park. If you end up in north Wales (more specifically Anglesey) then you should try to visit the place in Wales with the longest name in Britain, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Yes, that is a real place and yes, I can pronounce it :D.

The Castles of Wales
Llanfairpwll - Llanfair PG in Anglesey, North Wales, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

And Portmeirion :cool:

patrickmcgoohan_theprisoner.jpg

For many visiting here in the states means touring Graceland. Me? My pilgrimage to the UK would be to visit the Village. By hook or by crook, I will ! :cool:

Yeah, the Imperial War Museum would be a must for me as well.

Last edited:
I'm from the UK and I am always excited to hear that people are coming over here! Yay!!!
Ok. Here are my favourite things to do in London...
Go for a walk along South Bank. From Waterloo station you pick up signs to do the walk along the riverside. You'll pass the National Theatre, Tate Modern Art Gallery, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and the very cool food market. You'll also see the Oxo Tower, the Shard and City Hall which we like to call the Gherkin...because it's shaped like a gherkin! You can walk over Millennium Bridge and...go on the London Eye! You'll need to book tickets to go on the London Eye as it's really popular!
If you keep walking, you'll eventually get to Tower Bridge and you can cross over the bridge to get to the Tower of London.
That should keep you going for a day. You'll get a good feel for the London vibe, the crowds are manageable (I have crowd anxiety but am ok with this walk) and there are lots of nice places to eat at the start of the walk.
If you have time, you can also book tickets to see a play at the Globe. Even if you don't understand Shakespeare language, the acting is soooo good you don't care!
Most UK people hate Trump. We also hate Brexit and don't really understand how it happened! Most people in Southern England are very pro-Europe and pro-immigration and diversity.
If you like curry, go to Brick Lane in the East End.
If you like sushi, Sushisamba at the top of Heron Tower is fab and you can eat on the roof terrace if you want a bit of peace from the crowd indoors. You'll need to book a table now though.
Madame Tussauds is overrated in my opinion, and expensive.
The London Sightseeing bus is very cool and you can hop on and off when you like.

In my humble opinion, London does not reflect England in any way. It's a metropolis! If you get a chance to see some countryside and go to a rural pub for a roast dinner, that is a proper UK experience! Try some local ales. We are also very proud of our gins (many locally distilled) and food! British food is epic! Check out Nigella Lawson, the Hemsley sisters, and Mary Berry to get a sense of British food at it's best!
Welcome and enjoy!! I hope you have a smashingly lovely time!!
British words/slang to make you laugh:
Sod - a total idiot
Avin a giraffe - having a laugh
Utter tosh - lies
50 smackers - £50
Ruby Murray - curry
Trolleyed - drunk (so drunk you ended up stealing a shopping trolley)
Minted - rich
Have a flurry on the mares - have a bet on the horses (horse racing)
Totty - attractive person

Why are you going to leicester? I grew up there, there's not really much to do other than eat curry. Leicester has the best Indian restaurants in the country.

Oops, I forgot the most important advice I got, at least if you're American - when crossing the street, look right first! :-D For London, I forgot to add the British Museum. I was amazed by all the amazing artifacts they had there - I was surprised to suddenly see in person the things which I had grown up seeing in books.

Why is it so bad?:(

Well cue The Americans.

MR. HAMILTON: "Waddya get for living in a climate like this? Green stamps? It's terrible!"

BASIL: "Well I find it rather bracing"

SYBIL: "What do you find bracing, Basil? The damp, the drizzle, the fog?"

Of course it's not all about the weather but for visitors there seems to be some attraction and fascination about British culture.

It can be fine for a week but, well, to live here? Hmm... that said it must have something going for it else all these people wouldn't come live here.

Well cue The Americans.

MR. HAMILTON: "Waddya get for living in a climate like this? Green stamps? It's terrible!"

BASIL: "Well I find it rather bracing"

SYBIL: "What do you find bracing, Basil? The damp, the drizzle, the fog?"

Of course it's not all about the weather but for visitors there seems to be some attraction and fascination about British culture.

It can be fine for a week but, well, to live here? Hmm... that said it must have something going for it else all these people wouldn't come live here.

I like the British climate. On the rare occasion it gets over 25 degrees celsius I'm thankful for the fact it's usually much colder. Warm and sunny weather is not my friend.

Why are you going to leicester? I grew up there, there's not really much to do other than eat curry. Leicester has the best Indian restaurants in the country.
We are going to Leicester because we are working with a school there for a project.
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

The Castles of Wales
Those sound great! I'm trying not to get my hopes up about going to Wales too much, as I need to convince someone in my travel group to go with me on our day off in order to go, and I'm not having much success so far. For me to go, I would have to catch a train at 5am and then arrive back in Grantham at 11pm. Not too many people in my group want to get up that early.

Those sound great! I'm trying not to get my hopes up about going to Wales too much, as I need to convince someone in my travel group to go with me on our day off in order to go, and I'm not having much success so far. For me to go, I would have to catch a train at 5am and then arrive back in Grantham at 11pm. Not too many people in my group want to get up that early.

Show them the photos of our castles! Who can say no to an awesome castle?? Cardiff actually has one right in the middle of the city centre, because Wales is cool.

Yeah, the Imperial War Museum would be a must for me as well.

Not to rub it in, but the Imperial War museum is fantastic. I've only been once, when I was in 6th form (17 I think) because we were studying WWII, and they have (had?) the Holocaust exhibition.

New Threads

Top Bottom