• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If one of the child's grandparents is s smoker, does that increase the chance of Autism in a child?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
This might be in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Anyway, my late Granddad was a Pipe smoker, it gave him the big C (Cancer), which eventually finished him off aged about 76 I think back in August 1997.

Anyway, because Mum lived at Home before she met Dad, would it be possible that the effect of Pipe smoke had an effect on me as well in the Womb? Perhaps not, my older Brother came from the same Womb and he's able bodied and NT.

I don't resent my Granddad for any of it, it's just something I've thought of. I've always been anti-smoking anyway.

In all the websites, books and scholarly articles I've read there has been nothing on a comorbid rate between smoking and autism.

"In summary, our study included 22 observational studies and is the first to include one conducted in an Asian population. While our main meta-analysis is consistent with previous meta-analyses in finding no significant association between maternal smoking and ASD in offspring, our subgroup and moderator analyses with population smoking metrics suggest that a more nuanced interpretation of this null association is warranted. In future studies, more consistent and systematic examination of non-maternal sources of in utero or developmental nicotine exposure, such as smoking in the fathers, household, or general population, may yield important results."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5489536/

Umpteen things along these lines have been linked to autism. Maybe they're all correct and virtually everything causes autism.

Not sure about my grandparents but my mother was a chain smoker and wouldn’t be surprised if she was smoking while pregnant with me or my brothers.

Not sure either about my family line on my mother's side. My dad did tell me she was a recreational drug user, so personally I think that has a greater impact.

With what I read online , I cant link my sources, it seems that everything that increases blood pressure during pregnancy ( during a specific period) increases the risk for the child to have autism.

Being a passive smoker , maybe? I didnt read anything about that yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom