• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't really know where to start

TCJ

I was diagnosed in 1991. I didn't see or know about the diagnosis or even know what aspergers was until 2007. I've never met anyone with aspergers, I often times have doubt and have never done any research into the topic.

I just watched some youtube videos and it was really flooring to me to hear people with almost the exact same experiences. I'm not sure if I'm devastated because I've finally accepted it (I have always gone back and forth on the legitimacy of my diagnosis) or I'm overwhelmed with hearing people describe their life and have it match my own experiences. Maybe I'm relieved to know I'm not some kind of oddity (though an exceptional one) and that there are other people who have what I would describe as super sanity, which despite my family, friends and soon to be wife knowing everything...makes me feel alone. I don't know a lot about aspergers, or maybe I do from 30 years of life with it; however, I guess within the last ten minutes I decided to face the music and see what other traits people share. If they can provide any advice. I certainly know that I have advice to share with people.
I'm not ready yet to really get into specifics on a board to introduce myself. I suppose I came here in the hopes that there are free support groups, similar to the ones you see addicts, terminally ill, etc. people attending in the movies. Anyway, hello...I guess. I have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Welcome TJC :)

Many people have come here with the same initial feelings towards their diagnoses, and have come seeking answers. While many have been unsure of whether to be upset, or happy, many of us agree that knowing has benefited our lives drastically.

We're a fairly friendly, and caring community here, so you can be assured that others will be here to listen and share with you. Of course, ask questions, and share in your own time. In the meantime, feel free to browse our forums, and take a look at our recommended readings page:
Asperger's & Autism Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Many Aspies here will agree that looking in to the works of Dr.Tony Attwood is a good place to start.

Thank you. I'm way outside of my comfort zone. comfort and understanding are not something I've ever wanted. I hate using the aspergers excuse, or I feel like I'm being excused for ********, but as I said in 30 years, I've never heard someone describe not my worldview, but the EXACT, IDENTICAL experiences that I've had. It is weird because when I was younger, and had no idea what aspergers was, was worried I was a psychopath, but I just watched a broadcaster, Sue Simmons, equate aspergers with psychopathy. They were talking about the Sandy Hook massacre. Penn Jillette, whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for, put her in her place. Next thing you know I'm on youtube, and then I'm here. I'm not a conservative, I'm not a liberal (so again, nobody to relate to and I hate classifying your entire belief system in one word) but Penn Jillette always has the same outlook on something I have. I guess his show "********" is my latest obsession, but when aspergers came up it just floored me. The guy who I feel is one of the few people whose worldview I completely relate to, has brought me here and I want to hear more from other people. I watched the full clip because I was interested in Penn Jillette, but here is the condensed version that I think just lead me down a road I should have gone down a long time ago.

What is the policy on profanity? I don't believe there is such a thing, but I find when I remove any one word, topic or anything from my vocabulary or brain, I become riddled with anxiety and get frustrated that words piss people off.

ETA: Tony Atwood - noted.
ETA: I see his video on "chameleons". That's me. Time to watch.
ETA: I'm in New Orleans if anyone knows of a aspergers group meeting.

Last edited:
Hi TCJ and welcome,
In your own time, you will find we are cast in your mould. Coming here is the first step, in becoming comfortable in your own skin and accepting who you are. Friendship here TCJ, is unconditional.
Cheers
Turk

Thank you. I'm way outside of my comfort zone. comfort and understanding are not something I've ever wanted. I hate using the aspergers excuse, or I feel like I'm being excused for ********, but as I said in 30 years, I've never heard someone describe not my worldview, but the EXACT, IDENTICAL experiences that I've had. It is weird because when I was younger, and had no idea what aspergers was, was worried I was a psychopath, but I just watched a broadcaster, Sue Simmons, equate aspergers with psychopathy. They were talking about the Sandy Hook massacre. Penn Jillette, whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for, put her in her place. Next thing you know I'm on youtube, and then I'm here. I'm not a conservative, I'm not a liberal (so again, nobody to relate to and I hate classifying your entire belief system in one word) but Penn Jillette always has the same outlook on something I have. I guess his show "********" is my latest obsession, but when aspergers came up it just floored me. The guy who I feel is one of the few people whose worldview I completely relate to, has brought me here and I want to hear more from other people. I watched the full clip because I was interested in Penn Jillette, but here is the condensed version that I think just lead me down a road I should have gone down a long time ago.

What is the policy on profanity? I don't believe there is such a thing, but I find when I remove any one word, topic or anything from my vocabulary or brain, I become riddled with anxiety and get frustrated that words piss people off.

ETA: Tony Atwood - noted.
ETA: I see his video on "chameleons". That's me. Time to watch.
ETA: I'm in New Orleans if anyone knows of a aspergers group meeting.

Wow, I had never seen that interview before now. I'm glad he had our backs on that one; I like that guy. Unfortunately, like many minority groups, one of the issues people with Asperger's can face occasionally is misrepresentation in media.

While I've never truly believed myself to be a psychopath before, I did once consider the same as you after learning more about their nature, and finding myself strangely relating to some key features. They do share some similarities, which is possibly why we can sometimes be confused with them.

Generally speaking, most of our rules tend to ensure that everyone remains civilised to one another, and don't post anything that could offend. I think as long as you can manage that, you should be good; though keep in mind, we do have a few kids on this website too. If you're unsure, you're able to have a look at the guidelines here:
General Rules & Guidelines | AspiesCentral.com

Thanks for the kind responses. I look forward to spending a lot of time on this site. I just want to apologize beforehand if I say anything that offends anyone. Please, I'm not being an asshole. And it is weird saying this because I'm on a site full of people who have had that exact same experience. I really look forward to spending my free weekend on this site. In the meantime, I have to work but I will check for responses and will be ready to participate this evening.

New Threads

Top Bottom