• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypersensitive?

W

Willow

Hiya all,

I was just wondering how many people are over sensitive to sound, sight and touch (or any combination of the 3)? I'm the worst with noises I think, if there's a small noise, like a ticking clock, I tend to hear it really, really loud. Most of the time it's the quiet noises that deaften me. I know they're quiet because when I comment on how deaftening it is, usually other people can't hear them. I was at a wedding once, and while we were outside getting photo's done, I could hear a high pitched noise and it really hurt my ears. The problem is, when I hear something like that, it tends to make my whole body tense up uncontrollably. Another noise that ALWAYS gets me is when people are cutting food on their plate and it screeches. I'm also very fussy about the way food feels to me. And I prefer to separate my food on the plate, the majority of the time.

As for touch, I prefer to be touched hard rather than lightly. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but in crowds it's a nightmare for me because people only brush past you, and I can feel where they came into contact with me, for quite some time after they've gone. I like hugs, but only from certain people, that I'm used to. The mood I'm in can determine how much a touch will hurt, if I'm having a bad day, someone touching me can send me into meltdown.

With sight, bright lights or flashing lights make me squint (and then I get a headache that feels like my head is exploding). I also don't like the average bulb that people have in their houses, all my light bulbs are white daylight bulbs (because I have Seasonal Affective Disorder). The average ones are too dull and they make me uneasy.

Willow

I'm like that with the ticking clocks. My Grandma bought me a clock for my room and I was still up at 3 AM listening to the clock, and I go so frustrated I smashed it. LOL.
I used to be like that when I was younger with people touching me, but I'm not so bad now. I still find it annoying when people hug me but it doesn't really vary with who it is, my Dad often hugs me for the sole purpose of winding me up(he's annoying like that >_>).
When it comes to food I'm extremely fussy. I basically only eat spaghetti hoops(and even then it has to be Heinz and a specific type of it) and a couple of other foods, never have ate an entire vegetable without throwing up in my entire life, and don't eat that much fruit neither.
I hate touching metal and I hate it more when metal touches other types of metal(if someone has a load of coins in their pocket in a lesson I'm in, on a bad day, I could do nothing but fixate on the fact metal was touching metal), and so knifes and forks cause a lot of problems. I also can't stand anyone near me having their teeth touch metal, so my brother and sister(don't eat with mum and dad) have had to learn how to eat in a specific way xD.
Anything like someone tapping on a desk or something, I'll be extremely irritated by.
I'm getting better at coping on some ares but others I'm getting worse.
EMZ=]

I am sound sensitive. sudden and high tone sounds , also tone of voice has effect on my anexity level

I can get a bad taste in my mouth by seeing jewlery or other detail things. annoys me alot

I cant wear some type of clothes or jewlery, clock etc. also showering is a negative feedback of touch

I'm really sensitive to sunlight, I always have to wear sunglasses, even when its kinda cloudy. Bright lights/glare.
My hearing is sensitive in general, like the comfortable television volume for me was always half the level of everyone elses. I would little sounds like a pipe drip or the such when no one else would. The painful sounds for me are the bass woofers, like in the customized cars, it feels like I have run into a wall when they get too close, it just scrambles my thoughts. It also happens in the movie theater or cinema. Also reverberating sounds like some bell, gong sounds.
Somewhat sensitive to heat, especially hands, hard to wash dishes because I can't stand the hot water. To me it really feels like boiling water. Same goes to cold, hands go cold and numb to cold quickly. And same goes for eating, I can an "ice cream" headache just from drinking tap water sometimes.
And smells can be an overload as well, especially bleach.
Textures aren't as annoying as other things, but they used to be when I was younger.

Raiimonarch10:
I'm terrible with textures, I've had no end of trouble with clothing over the years. With hot and cold, I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference because I get the same sensation from both, I don't like the extreme of either though.

Aspiedude:
I know what you mean about certain tones making you anxious. With me if someone is mad or angry and they talk to me I get very anxious or upset, also if someone raises their voice at me I instantly want to cry, I can't help it.

Emor: I'm not quite that bad with metal, sounds like it must be difficult :( I used to be a lot more fussy with food than I am now. When I was younger I used to only eat certain things. I still do, I eat a lot more 'certain things' now!

It varies from day to day really. I don't know why I hate metal so much but meh. XD. I always feel sorry for people who have issues with their clothing, I've personally never had a problem with clothing(I won't wear certain clothes but that's just because I don't like the look of them). I've got less fussy with food, but I still have a pretty similar diet to your average 5 year old B) .
EMZ=P

I wouldn't say i'm oversensitive to sound, but I hate sudden loud noises. To give an example:

Last summer I was at the cinema with a few friends watching Friday the 13th 2 (I think). We were sitting near the front. There was a scene in the movie where a window smashed really loudly. It caught me off guard and I jumped with my popcorn flying out of the box and over the person beside me - causing him to jump too. My popcorn going over him scared the crap out of him more than the move did. Luckily though it was my friend who got showered in popcorn. We both couldn't stop laughing at that point.

I am hypersensitive with

1. Touch- I hate the touch of dirty water, scratchy wool and different types of clothing
2. Noise- whether its the clocks ticking, the heating system going on/off in school or home, loud noises like balloons popping
3. taste- certain textures really bug me like tuna *eugh* so technically I am fussy with certain foods
4. Tones of peoples voices- I tend to get worried or anxious if they take things the wrong way
5. Smells- if its curry or other smells like oranges I have to go outside for fresh air and take a walk before I go back in
thats it really x

I'm noise sensitive I really dont like loud noise. One particular noise I feel sensitive to is the hum of conversation where there are many people present. When it gets to a certain level it really feels like a swarm of bees have somehow entered into my ears :(
I'm also touch sensitive and I'm sensitive to certain textures.

Hmm. The swarm of bees thing, that's a good way to describe it. It's an odd sensation, not a good odd. I hate it. It makes me want to scream.

I don't like sunlight, my eyes squint in it.

I also don't like to be touched or hugged without my permission

I can't tolorate bare skin on me that is hairy and I don't like sticky skin

There are sounds I can't stand such as snoring, sirens, steam kettles, sometimes those high pitch sounds TVs make, water dripping.

People talking at the table all at once, sometimes that bothers me.

Wool and other fabric that feels scratchy. I have to have something else on under it then.

I am sensitive to bright lights and sudden loud noises.
tags on the back of shirts, have to rip them out.
do not like rough clothes that is scratchy.
dont like slimy things on my hands.

I also have to rip out the tags on my clothes. I've thrown so many things away because it's had somethign scratchy that I can't remove or it's the wrong material or colour. I'm not so bad now, purely because I've learnt what not to buy!

A year or two ago, I started seeing shirts with the "tag" printed on the fabric instead of on a piece of something attached to the back of the shirt. My first thought was "why didn't they start doing that decades ago???"

Well, now I know why... it didn't bother most people.

Yes, I have a few items like that. It's a genius idea! But as you said, it doesn't bother a lot of people.

I wonder why they started doing it now? Are more people sensitive to tags or are they accommodating those people?

Anyway, tags never really bothered me, only sometimes. Sometimes I can feel them, most of the times I can't. They bothered my aspie ex though. Am I the only aspie here who isn't bothered by tags in clothes?

I have some things that still have tags in, it's just most of the time they irritate me too much.

I'm not going in to details but yes - sound, picture and touch can be a distressing thing.

Moving on to labels. I always had to cut them out of clothes when I was younger but now they don't seem to bother me as much. Most of the shirts I wear actually have the labels printed into the collar of the actual material instead of having a label sticking out - which feels better. It's mostly the material the actual shirt is made out of. Polyester is my arch nemesis :D

EDIT: OOh I just saw other people have mentioned the label being printed on the fabric. It's good isn't it ? XD :D

I wonder why they started doing it now? Are more people sensitive to tags or are they accommodating those people?

As technology advances and overall wealth increases, it gets easier to solve problems, and problems that were once not worth the bother (because they were smaller or afflicted fewer people) now are profitable to solve. God bless capitalism!

Also, some simple things take a surprisingly long time for someone in the right position to do something about. Aspies aren't the only ones that stick too rigidly to routines sometimes...

I definitely have texture issues. Whenever my mom makes spaghetti, I spend more time getting all the little spice things and bits of meat out of the sauce than actually eating because I can feel every little thing and it irritates me. I won't eat potatoes that have been mashed up in the mixer because of the random lumps they have. Sometimes I'll eat them with gravy, but never without.
There's also tone of voice. I didn't know tone of voice could be a sensory issue for Aspies until I read this thread. When someone says something, anything, to me in a tone of voice I don't like, I get really uncomfortable and try to avoid them because I'll think they're upset or bored with me.
I don't like loud noises either. Noises are not only loud for me but are also quite sharp and sudden. I hate it when people get mad and yell for no reason and I hate when everyone talks at once. Not to mention I can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the house right from my bedroom. It's a curse, especially since I have a much-used bathroom right next to my room. DX I can't relax in the morning because I'm too busy plugging my ears as hard as I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom