• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How often do you go out?

How often do you go out?

• Rarely

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Frequently

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
God, not often at all. I used to go out much more, with friends or just by myself, but recently it's just been a struggle to walk around in my neighborhood, let alone go in town on my own. I've rejected friends' invitations so often that they've just about stopped asking me. I don't want to go out with them- but I want to go out on my own. I'm being silly, I would be able to. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think there's also something else, feeling nervous/scared.
I used to go to friend's houses and just 'hang out' but that got quite awkward.

God, not often at all. I used to go out much more, with friends or just by myself, but recently it's just been a struggle to walk around in my neighborhood, let alone go in town on my own. I've rejected friends' invitations so often that they've just about stopped asking me. I don't want to go out with them- but I want to go out on my own. I'm being silly, I would be able to. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think there's also something else, feeling nervous/scared.
I used to go to friend's houses and just 'hang out' but that got quite awkward.

I realize how difficult stuff like this can be, but I reckon it would be better for you in the end if you tried to keep up the socializing thing, even if only occasionally. I let my fears get the better of me back in 2002 and ended up losing all my friends; became pretty much house-bound for seven years. I finally plucked up the courage to contact some of them last year on Facebook and it's made me feel a hell of a lot better :) I guess my point is that once you fall into the habit of not going out/socializing it can become extremely difficult to get out of it.

I realize how difficult stuff like this can be, but I reckon it would be better for you in the end if you tried to keep up the socializing thing, even if only occasionally. I let my fears get the better of me back in 2002 and ended up losing all my friends; became pretty much house-bound for seven years. I finally plucked up the courage to contact some of them last year on Facebook and it's made me feel a hell of a lot better :) I guess my point is that once you fall into the habit of not going out/socializing it can become extremely difficult to get out of it.

Yas...well, thanks for replying! :) I'm going to sixth form in September so hopefully I'll meet some nice people who are into the same kind of stuff as I am...I am sick of plastics and people who aren't interested in anything! So do you go out a lot now? And do you actually like it?

I don't go out often, no, but since getting in touch with a few friends again I have been out, to the cinema and walking mostly. It's pretty nerve-wracking but it's also good to actually be able to have conversations again lol. And I guess I'm lucky that the people I do know have similar interests to me and aren't vapid ;)

All the best for sixth form and I hope you meet some interesting people :)

Thank you! I think people will have grown up and stuff...probably the people I don't like much now will have changed alot. I hope your life goes on getting better too.
A nice exchange :)

I go outside every day to take care of my dog, Riley, and also to catch the train to work (5 days a week.) On weekends, I go out to the dog park for a few hours so Riley and I get more socializing. :p Dog people are a pretty talkative bunch, and Riley is awesome at giving me something to talk about.

I go out with a friend once or twice a month to the movies and also dinner.

Sometimes, I go out to movies by myself, which I tend to enjoy more than when I am with someone.

Other than that, working 40-45 hours each week is enough "outside" time for me, and I like my solitude I find in my apartment.

For me, not often at all. Sometimes I'll go outside if the weather is nice, but I don't like being outside here in a city because I feel watched by all the people and my family. :unsure: I go to church twice on Sunday and once on Wednesday. Some Saturday nights we go to the observatory since I love astronomy, and I go to the library often. But that's usually it. Any other occassions in which I go out are random.

If you count going out as going on jogs and to the gym. Then I pretty much go every day. If its not the school holidays I'm usually always with a friend after school. On the school holidays I tend to go on the computer a lot and I try to meet up with them.

i vairy, i dont make plans sometimes i can go a week withought going out just being glued to my xbox and sometimes the essence of chance just wisks me away and i end up doing cool stuff like pubs or clubs, its not like i cant go out and have fun at times its just tbh i just cant seem to pull myself away from my xbox(modern warfare 2, oh yeah). At this moment in time i probably really need to get out more.

i count going to school as being out lol seriously though its to me like a NT's idea of a stressfull busy party (not sure that made sence but hey ;)

i vairy, i dont make plans sometimes i can go a week withought going out just being glued to my xbox and sometimes the essence of chance just wisks me away and i end up doing cool stuff like pubs or clubs, its not like i cant go out and have fun at times its just tbh i just cant seem to pull myself away from my xbox(modern warfare 2, oh yeah). At this moment in time i probably really need to get out more.

Haha, I know how you feel. I've been addicted to a few games before. I always had clanwars and stuff on.

I find it very hard to go out in public and yet crave contact all the time - I force myself to food-shop daily just to be around people.
I think, being, I guess, an older Aspie (47), I've had a lot of time to build up a healthy load of social anxiety trying to act 'normal'; hide from the world; regain strength and try again.. getting hard to find anything to motivate me. :confused:

I go to work daily (have not had a shift off in over 3 years now), I go to town once a week to shop for food. The only time I really enjoy or let myself relax without my anti society armor though is when I am at home with my kitties or now on this particular forum. Because then I do not have to worry about ambush attacks, well sometimes the kitties try to ambush me when I first get home, but they are only 1/25th of my size, combined.

Never, it's horrible out there.

social gatherings are horrible, but nature and animals are the best part of this world. i go out on my own, to shopping centers, walk down the street, and pet every dog i see, watch feral cats. i also go to the park with my niece, and the beachside, nature and animals.

Left to my own devices, I would rarely go out. Work, shopping and various sundry appointments make it necessary though. Now, if you're referring to "going out," as in going out for "fun," that is a rare occurrence. I don't have the funds for that kind of going out. Maybe 1-2 times a month my bf and I go out to dinner somewhere.

Three times a month which doesn't include working, I'm still working on going out but need to chance my routine which isn't fun :(

I get out about once a week to pick up groceries and necessities. If I have a lot of work orders, I'll go out every 2-3 days to visit the post office.

As far as "out" for fun, I haven't been able to afford that in a long time. The most "out" I get to do is maybe once a year take a drive to one of my favorite botanical gardens to walk around and look at pretty things. I'm hoping that'll change as the kid gets older, I'd like to take him swimming, skating, and hiking regularly.

New Threads

Top Bottom