• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many of you are living with a good ASD mentor?

Rob

V.I.P Member
Hi Everyone -

I have been through a sea of changes lately. I have moved into a nice home with a good mentor. She has been a great source of tips and advice for me. Even though we are opposites in personality, in some ways we do share things in common, like our food choices and our religious faith. She is very energetic and has a razor-sharp mind, in other words, she has high native intelligence (or street/life smarts).
We have had our challenges in the past few weeks after I have moved to this new place in Lacombe, Alberta, Canada. However as we settle in, the stress of change begins to subside.
Further stress has been on our laps as we had to clear a lot of stuff from an old, deteriorating cabin on a former property my mentor lived in. That cabin was on the property of a husband and wife couple dear to our hearts. The husband has just passed away from a brain tumor who supported us spiritually as well as socially. We all miss him, but his memory and legacy lives on in our hearts. The wife has just sold her house; she is due to move out in less than two weeks. The auctioneers have taken a lot of her stuff too.

Anyway, it is good to be back on the forum after these challenging but character-building weeks.

I don't live with any but basically have them, although I've never thought of it in exactly that way before.
But good for you! :)

Last edited:
Never heard of an 'ASD mentor' before to be honest. How does it even work?

An ASD mentor would be someone like this:

It would be someone who knows you over the years, and who has enough compassion and patience to tactfully help you organize things to make your life easier. It would be someone who does not have autism and happens to be my/your best friend and has more experience dealing with individuals with special needs.

An ASD mentor would be someone like this:

It would be someone who knows you over the years, and who has enough compassion and patience to tactfully help you organize things to make your life easier. It would be someone who does not have autism and happens to be my/your best friend and has more experience dealing with individuals with special needs.

Fair enough. Well, good for you ;).

I try to mentor someone on the bipolar/ADHD/Aspie side. Think l have helped her. She hasn't ended up homeless, she was worried about this so we had to do some soul searching and find answers.

Had to call 911 once for her. But she is more on top of herself now. It's been a lot of work, l pray she stays okay.

I need one in the USA... my mentor is my friend, but she has 2 adult children, 1 with Autism and 1 Bipolar, so it’s hard to get her attention much.

I work with Rehabilitation coordinator and job coach, but it’s meant for mental health and I don’t think it addresses what one who lives with Autism deals with (even if some of the behavioral health management is similar)
where do I find one?

New Threads

Top Bottom