• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How honest are you?

I'm a horrible liar. I have a bad habit of getting embarrassed if I haven't prepared myself to lie, which makes me smile and giggle. So EVERYONE I know knows this tell of mine. And most other people can figure it out pretty easily. I'm a "heart on my sleeve" kinda person. I have no poker face. And I feel really bad about lying, both before and after. The most I lie is to my mom about how much something cost, because she's really frugal and expects us to be too. She also doesn't want us bringing "junk" into the house. Junk being anything she doesn't want or need that isn't food. So I sneak stuff into the house a lot, since I've got a bit of a spending problem. I still get anxious beforehand and feel bad after, but dad kinda taught me it's what I have to do, so I do it. So it's not that I absolutely can't lie or be sneaky, I just don't like it.

Above.

Today I went on a Tram with a carer to the Cinema, I showed my pass but forgot to ask to pay for the carer's Tram ticket and the conductor assumed I have plus 1 on my pass for carers, I don't get high enough benefit for that (blame the UK government), but I didn't say anything and told her not to either so we got away with it.

Anyway coming back we had the same issue, but this time I paid for a single ticket for the carer as she drives so she would be driving home after the call, she just can't drive during the call because she doesn't have Business insurance to have me or other clients as a Passenger.

So anyway, what would you have done in this situation?
I probably would've been forthright in this case. Realistically though, you didn't do much harm at all.

I'm very honest when it comes to mechanical moral imperatives as presented as the test for honesty in this thread.

However, when the responsibility is less defined I can be quite deceptive. For example the question, "what did you do this weekend?" or "What are you doing for your vacation?"

Also, "How did you like my cooking?"

The degree of honesty one's own has is very hard to measure. Most people feel that when they lie they are justified in the false pretense and therefore do not even identify it as a lie at all. People are conditioned for deception both genetically and socially. I don't believe that anyone is free of it. I do think that people who claim, and believe they never lie, are the least self-aware. But I'm not sure they even lie more than the average person.

Do you honestly expect me to answer that?
Fridgemagnetman, where are you? I need your help!
:)

Honestly, I'm just so matter of fact that I tell it like it is. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm a bit like that as well.

Probably a bit TOO blunt sometimes but people sometimes need to hear what's said, even if they don't like it.

Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. You feel bad about it and I assume don't want to do it again, so I would say you're all right. Have a good day!

Something similar happened today on the way back from Town on a Tram, I was on my own this time, but the conductor passed me without scanning my pass so I said "hang on you've not done me yet", she knew I have a pass as she's seen me on the Tram before so she said don't worry about it but scanned my pass, I just said "good job I'm honest innit?"

Not sure I understand the situation, but I probably would have volunteered to pay the ticket unless I was running VERY short on money.

I’m honest because I can’t handle the possible consequences if I’m not.

There’s a saying;
“If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”

On top of consequences there’s the guilt too.

I like rules and laws to show me where my boundaries are.

I’m sure I’d have paid for that carers ticket.
Shown him my pass and automatically given the money for the carers ticket at the same time.

Not sure I understand the situation, but I probably would have volunteered to pay the ticket unless I was running VERY short on money.

The conductor ASSUMED I have plus 1 on my pass, I don't, it's perfectly simple as explained in the OP.

This reminds me of when I purchased a bottle of cheap wine with a ten dollar bill, expecting around two dollars change back. The clerk took my bill and held it to the light, looking for a counterfeiting strip. Seemed odd at the time, given most clerks only do that with denominations of $20 or more.

When the clerk returned my change, she dutifully counted it in my hand. Problem was that she perceived my $10 as a $100 bill. (Yeah- yikes.) Thus why she checked to see if it was a counterfeit bill. Of course I interrupted her counting to point out the obvious. That I gave her a $10 bill which she looked at in the till to realize her error.

Had it been a considerably less amount of money in cents and not dollars, I might not have objected. I suppose depending on the circumstances and time urgency. But in this instance, no- I can't let something that happen on general principle.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when I purchased a bottle of cheap wine with a ten dollar bill, expecting around two dollars change back. The clerk took my bill and held it to the light, looking for a counterfeiting strip. Seemed odd at the time, given most clerks only do that with denominations of $20 or more.

When the clerk returned my change, she dutifully counted it in my hand. Problem was that she perceived my $10 as a $100 bill. (Yeah- yikes.) Thus why she checked to see if it was a counterfeit bill. Of course I interrupted her counting to point out the obvious. That I gave her a $10 bill which she looked at in the till to realize her error.

Had it been a considerably less amount of money in cents and not dollars, I might not have objected. I suppose depending on the circumstances and time urgency. But in this instance, no- I can't let something that happen on general principle.

I remember 23 years ago at the first Charity shop I worked in, I once rumbled somebody trying to pass a dodgy £20 note, I buzzed for the Manager, who then sent for the Police (the shop was on King St, Snig Hill cop shop is literally 2 minutes away)

I remember 23 years ago at the first Charity shop I worked in, I once rumbled somebody trying to pass a dodgy £20 note, I buzzed for the Manager, who then sent for the Police (the shop was on King St, Snig Hill cop shop is literally 2 minutes away)

Good call, Rich. I know here in Nevada, counterfeiting is rampant with bogus $20 bills. :rolleyes:

Things haven't been the same with high resolution color printers where so many amateurs have jumped on the bandwagon. Stupid, but then most crimes are.

Good call, Rich. I know here in Nevada, counterfeiting is rampant with bogus $20 bills. :rolleyes:

Things haven't been the same with high resolution color printers where so many amateurs have jumped on the bandwagon. Stupid, but then most crimes are.

Surely if dodgy 20's are so rampant, the onus is on Store Clerks to spot them a mile off before the Perps even try and pass them?

Surely if dodgy 20's are so rampant, the onus is on Store Clerks to spot them a mile off before the Perps even try and pass them?

Yep. That's why it's likely store policy to physically check them for that characteristic metallic strip that bisects the higher denomination bills. Something counterfeiters and inkjet printers can't seem to emulate.

But I still see where some clerks check while others don't.

As everyone is saying. Too honest, but am very capable of lying and have done so and it does not make me feel good.

My husband has halted me many times for wanting to be honest.

In your situation, I would have paid for my carer.

This is the first time since I've been here that we've had the same thread twice! And I didn't like my answer the first time, so it's a second chance! :D

It would have to be really important for me to lie, like life or death or something, but I generally don't. I wouldn't have done what you did, I don't think.

Not exactly lying or not but it felt like it, I was being asked to play piano somewhere and didn't know what to charge. The person asked me, and I said I didnt know and would ask a friend, which is probably already too honest. I asked a friend how much he charges, and he told me, but he told me that if someone is asking my rate to say something higher. I went back to the guy hiring me and told him that my friend is paid this much but he told me to say this much if I'm asked... the guy was nice and did something in between the two. :confused::)

I stole money from my parents when I was like ten and felt bad ever since.

I accidentally walked out of a store with candy as a kid and years later went back and bought the same candy but put it back on the shelf. :D

This is the first time since I've been here that we've had the same thread twice! And I didn't like my answer the first time, so it's a second chance! :D

It would have to be really important for me to lie, like life or death or something, but I generally don't. I wouldn't have done what you did, I don't think.

Not exactly lying or not but it felt like it, I was being asked to play piano somewhere and didn't know what to charge. The person asked me, and I said I didnt know and would ask a friend, which is probably already too honest. I asked a friend how much he charges, and he told me, but he told me that if someone is asking my rate to say something higher. I went back to the guy hiring me and told him that my friend is paid this much but he told me to say this much if I'm asked... the guy was nice and did something in between the two. :confused::)

I stole money from my parents when I was like ten and felt bad ever since.

I accidentally walked out of a store with candy as a kid and years later went back and bought the same candy but put it back on the shelf. :D

A long time ago, I was in GT News in Hillsborough Precinct, my mind was elsewhere walking round the shop and I'd picked up a TV guide, and nearly walked past the till without paying, fortunately I "woke up" and walked straight back, apologised profusely and paid the 35p.

I am usually honest. It makes me feel uncomfortable if I lie about something and I later regret doing so. I still would have taken the free ride.

I would have let it slide and then felt guilty about it after. Honest people do spur of the moment fumbles like that. A person who makes a practice of stuff like that is inherently dishonest.

New Threads

Top Bottom