• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How fast do you talk?

How fast do you normally talk?

• Very fast

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Fast

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Moderate

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Slow

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Very slow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I talk fast, sometimes too fast for people to get your meaning, and sometimes trip over words as my mouth tries to keep up with my mind.

This varies a lot though, which I don't see NTs doing.

If it's an idea Im explaining, I'm going to be at full speed to get the idea out into the world.

I usually talk fast, akin to Chile's fast spanish. When I'm inspired though, I talk Very fast and more than necessaty. When I'm in low mood, some stuttering is unavoidable (not always, only from time to time; fixes itself alone then come back at random)

I talk at light speed! No one shall ever understand a thing I say! Mwhahaha! :D

My speech is all over the place, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. It really depends on my mood. If I get excited I can go pretty quick for someone raised in the South. Sometimes I channel I inner Boomhauer just to see if any of my Northern friends can keep up.

My speech speed also depends on mood. Slow means I'm sad. Slightly faster than that is best. Fast is the worst, though.

My speech often depends on mood as well. Whenever I feel happy, I talk fast and loud. I can get pretty hyper during those moments, and my voice can even vary in pitch. Whenever I'm nervous though (which is a lot) and make attempts to sound serious, I speak in a rather monotone voice; not too slow, not too fast.

Depends on mood and subject.
When I am excited explaining something, an idea or angry, very fast.
Depressed or just mellow, very slow or just quiet.
In between the opposites, a little slow.
Same with the pitch of speech.
I've been told to slow down and that I'm talking too loudly when excited.
Just normal, I've been told I sound rather expressionless or even hypnotic. Monotone.
Depressed or mellow, I am told I talk too low and to speak up. Then that makes me angry and I DO! :eek:

I guess fast, because my husband is always going on about me not having any pauses in my conversations, nevermind punctuation!

My voice also raises when I am animated. It is so weird, because to me, I am not shouting and yet, I can lower it, when prompted.

Before I knew about aspergers, I felt crushed that I was a "loud" person. I have this thing in me, that I want to be dainty and quiet sort of girl, so would be mortified to be told to quieten down and so, why I end up not even talking, because it is better that way, than to experience the emotional pain that goes along with being told you shout.

I do not struggle so much now with feeling crushed when I am told to hush up, because finally I know the reason why I do it.

I think with me too, it will all depend on the subject and situation. I can get so confused sometimes I'm rendered speechless and can also be so enthused and confident in my knowledge that I can keep up and even set the pace or lead the discussion on that subject.

I have a tendancy to talk very fast and anxiously, but with practice and being aware of it I have learned to slow it down so that people can understand what I am saying. Especially since I speak with a very deep backwoods accent that out of towners don't get.

I also preach in several churches so I have to concentrate on speaking clearly and slowly.

I adapted from the American northeast cities to the way Rural Texas talks. Not the accent or even much of the vernacular, but I slowed down my speech and it has stayed there. I am/was blue collar and worked most of my life with guys who had been real cowboys when they were young. [Note that in that movie, John Wayne spoke the truth when he said that a cowboy only does that because there is nothing else left. Everybody who ever was a real cowboy hates cows; how stupid they are and how much unimaginably unpleasant and uncomfortable hard work is needed to care for them.]

Once I discovered that I am an Aspie I observed that my thread of speech start out in the usual NT mode and then changes direction. Those changes of direction catch NT's totally by surprise and leave them trying to figure out what happened. NT's do not like my changes of conversational direction at all.

I'm in New England, we talk "wicked" fast here! ;) I don't have a Boston Accent though, that seems to be confined to the Urban Coast Towns, and Worcester (locals call it "Woosta"). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom