• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you think/learn

breadfin

Hi everyone,

Really curious about this. How do you guys think/learn. My husband, for instance, thinks in pictures- he even has a "filer" in his thoughts where he is able to organize all of his images. So when he wants to remember something, he takes a picture of it and then files it away for future use. This is his only way of thinking/learning. He has an amazing memory and remembers everything he reads so has a broad range of information/interests.

My interests/information is much more minute- I guess I only strive to remember what I am obsessed with, everything else, I just don't bother memorizing. I also think in pictures, but I don't have a filing system. My pictures are very detailed, with color, and I can walk through them- but I don't "snap" pictures of everything I see/read. I also think/learn by sound- not sure how else to describe it. When I play the piano and learn a new score, for instance, I will obviously read the music sheet, but I don't memorize it visually. This really frustrated my professors because I was a slow reader- and could never play by sight, but once I played those notes and heard the music, could then replay it from memory. So I memorized the sound/harmony- again not sure how to describe it. But I was very gifted musically, reaching the highest University level (ARCT) and doing this with little difficulty.

And I think that this affinity with sound is what brought me to literature. I have a grasp for words, not because of their definition, but because of their sound. I really don't know how to explain it. I spell extremely well (making me a great editor- and I worked as such for over 8 years as a contractor) since I could visually spell out the words, scan a sheet for mistakes (excellent with detail). But when I write, I actually use the sounds of words to create new text/stories.

This sounds really crazy to me- and I'm not sure how to explain it- does anyone out there think/learn this way?

By the way, I can recall all information said to me- this was an asset in university because I could remember all my lectures- didn't even need to take notes.

N

For all the experiences I had where I had to actually "know" something and get tested on it, like exams for school... I was usually done in 10 minutes and usually have at least a B (or the equivalent in other countries; probably 8 on a scale from 1 to 10 here).

I don't usually remember a lot of what I'm about to be tested on, but as soon as I have that paper I just get into a writing rage until it's all filled in. With the national exams over here there is a 1,5 hour time limit and the first 0,5 hour you can't leave, so I ended up staring at the walls for at least 15 to 20 minutes each time. Teachers told me "well, check it again, think it over"... I just can't. It's either A. I know it or B. I don't know it. Nothing comes to mind later on. Though I must state that on doing stuff like that, the questions are quite specific. I usually spend more time reading questions than actually making sensible answers. (not that my answers aren't sensible).

As for non-tested stuff... I do have a really hands on approach. I learned a lot through trial and error. But since that is outdated and not the "modern" method, in school I kinda flunked because they actually expected me to understand "roughly" rather than exactly. And if it's something that had practical approach, like for instance Programming, I'd rather just "try" and have a teacher explain to me where my logic fails there, rather than "the book says this, are you stupid?"

In the past few months I mastered some graphic programs just by a hands on approach, though I must say that having an idea and a motivation of what you want to get out of it (as opposed to what school wants) helps a lot for me to actually want to learn and see how it works. Though I learned more the past 3 months than I have ever learned in school.

Thinking about "just something" or thinking with a clear mind... it kinda comes down to a blur. I do actually need purpose to think about something, and to add, something that I enjoy or like a lot otherwise I am totally disconnected with everyone and everything and I have a really hard time just "snapping" out of it. The key actually is to keep busy on interesting topics, and non of those are actually professional.

I learn mostly visually or through written text. My strength lies in visual memory and learning, so much so that I'm only average in other areas. I have a harder time remembering lectures or conversations, and I can't take a complete photo of pages I've just read though I can pull bits of information.

If I'm trying to solve any kind of problem, or if I'm reading a story, the first thing I do is try to visualize it. That's why I had so much trouble in school with certain subjects like algebra or english, they're not catered towards students like myself who are stronger visual learners over anything else.

I am an extremely visual learner; I need to be shown how to do something, not told. I'm like Dr. Grandin in that I make a mental movie of what I have to do and where I have to go. Where I have problems is when instructions are not precise. For example, if you tell me to go get a folder off the filing cabinet, and I don't know which filing cabinet you mean (if there is more than one), or which folder (if there is more than one), I draw a blank. But if you say go get the folder that says "xxx" off the tan filing cabinet in the left corner, then I know what to do. I have to know what to look for, what it looks like. This is especially frustrating when I am in an unfamiliar situation and the person telling me to do something assumes I know the layout of the room as well as he or she. Not necessarily so! You may know what you are looking for but I might not. Then people get all frustrated with me and I end up thinking that they must be right that I am hopelessly stupid.

New Threads

Top Bottom