• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you normally dress?

Comfort is a must, definitely over style, and I don't wear Jeans, I used to but I now can't find any to fit me, the waistlines are either too big or too small.

I wear comfortable fabrics, I pretty much only wear black and have for over 25 years. I like to wear plain black dresses remincent of the edwardian/victorian era or simple plain linen dresses with absolutely no design. I like to wear pinafores with turtlenecks as well.

I wear some jewelry, mostly necklaces and my wedding ring. I wear my hair in three styles only which are up in a gidson girl bun, down unstyled, and then down with left side pinned back.

I mostly wear little to no make up but if I wear it I always wear thick black liquid eyeliner on my upper eyelids, foundation, powder, and mascara. There are times I wear heavier makeup but it is rare, when I was younger I wore very thick gothic style makeup everyday.

I always wear flat, comfortable shoes, like black nursing shoes or Swedish clogs.

I always wear leggings and socks, I do not show my legs or arms nakedly exposed ever.

Thats how I dress....

I agree I can't stand wears ties either. Granted I Seldom rarely wear them but I do find bow ties aesthetically pleasing. I'm like you in that clothes are more utilitarian for as well. When you start working as in independent contractor in the industry you will be working in. How would that require you to dress? Does the transportation industry have a standard on how you dress? I'm curious because I have heard you say that the the transportation industry and Many other blue collar occupations tend to be more autistic/eccentric friendly?

As an independent contractor in the transportation industry, I'll pretty much be able to wear what is comfortable; loose-fitting clothing and tee shirts. I'll keep some polo shirts handy for "meet the customer" days. There is no real standard for dressing unless you work for a company that forces it upon you. The way I see it, if you drive for a living, you should be comfortable because you will have to deal with the weather. The bus company where I work now has a uniform and I hate it!!! It is ill-fitting and boiling hot.

Yes, in my opinion, driving is excellent for someone on the spectrum that seeks minimal social contact and can drive well. I wouldn't recommend driving a bus .... I made that mistake but at least I have that endorsement added to my license so I could deliver buses.

I misspoke when I stated that blue collar occupations tend to be more autistic friendly. Alas, at times I tend to over-generalize - sorry. I do believe the trucking industry is more autistic/eccentric friendly because there is such a vast shortage of labor. Employers cannot afford to be so choosy, they simply must accept and embrace diversity.

Are you thinking of driving for a living, Rayner?

As an independent contractor in the transportation industry, I'll pretty much be able to wear what is comfortable; loose-fitting clothing and tee shirts. I'll keep some polo shirts handy for "meet the customer" days.

There is no real standard for dressing unless you work for a company that forces it upon you. The way I see it, if you drive for a living, you should be comfortable because you will have to deal with the weather. The bus company where I work now has a uniform and I hate it!!! It is ill-fitting and boiling hot.

Yes, in my opinion, driving is excellent for someone on the spectrum that seeks minimal social contact and can drive well. I wouldn't recommend driving a bus .... I made that mistake but at least I have that endorsement added to my license so I could deliver buses.

I misspoke when I stated that blue collar occupations tend to be more autistic friendly. Alas, at times I tend to over-generalize - sorry. I do believe the trucking industry is more autistic/eccentric friendly because there is such a vast shortage of labor. Employers cannot afford to be so choosy, they simply must accept and embrace diversity.

It seems like a occupation I would enjoy. Driving is certainly a possibility as Is a career in auto repair and construction witch is what I'm doing now for a living.

I'm not sure if I see doing construction as a long term career Like my uncle has done.

Finding a occupation/Industry that is more accepting of autistic/eccentric people is a somewhat of a relatively large challenge especially here in Texas. Since Texas being such a work at will state. Texas has next to nothing as far as laws covering discrimination, or things like wrongful terminations etc.

Last edited:
I'm like you I don't care about fashion however I do care about impressions. A large part of my wardrobe is based on what I find functional and how I can present myself well to others. For me I have found matching demin pants and long sleeve shirts with a belt and boots both made from thick dark (age and wear) leather. It seems a large part of my generation doesn't understand (for the most part) the importance of good impressions or the importance of presenting yourself in a good light. For example if you don't want people to think you are a thug don't dress like one it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Rayner, I think that it is a good thing that you understand the importance of impressions because for a person of your age that is vital for future development. However,our positions in life are at opposite ends. With the exception of my wife, I simply do not care what others think about how I dress. My customers do not care how I look, as long as fix their equipment. My family expects me to dress like I always have. I just want clothes that are clean and comfortable. If I have to be out in public with my wife, I will wear what she wants me to so that she isn't embarrassed to be seen with me.

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like we both have challenges when it comes to finding shoes that fit. I looked at the Ariat site and found a pair that I like. They're black with the wide, low heel and square toe. The best thing is they were under $150, which was interesting since on the same page there was a pair of boots for almost $600. I'd be afraid to wear something that nice lest they get damaged.
$600 for a single pair shoes is pretty expensive. My boots made by redwing (manufacturied in by hand in USA) were only $235 honestly for what received as far quality totally worth the $235. I think Depending the quality and how exotic the leather are some of (Not all) the traits the can make leather be $30 or $300 or even $3000. It's the same way with headwear especially headwear made from felt. The tighter the weave the felt is woven into when making a hat is what determines the level of quality of the material.

Rayner, I think that it is a good thing that you understand the importance of impressions because for a person of your age that is vital for future development. However,our positions in life are at opposite ends. With the exception of my wife, I simply do not care what others think about how I dress. My customers do not care how I look, as long as fix their equipment. My family expects me to dress like I always have. I just want clothes that are clean and comfortable. If I have to be out in public with my wife, I will wear what she wants me to so that she isn't embarrassed to be seen with me.

I understand. Kelly picks my clothes out for me when I need to dress up more formal than what is acceptable with boots and my dusty hat. After all I would hate to ruin someone black-tie occasion by showing up in boots. :rolleyes:

I understand dealing with weather as part of all of the variables that one may encounter when their occupation has them working out side. My cowboy hat shed water away from my body since the Stetson is made from 10X beaver felt for one of it's many wonder properties that includes shedding water. it. Stetson has used it in their headwear since 1865 and the underlying design and construction is large unchanged. Does wanderer ever wear a hat?

As an independent contractor in the transportation industry, I'll pretty much be able to wear what is comfortable; loose-fitting clothing and tee shirts. I'll keep some polo shirts handy for "meet the customer" days. There is no real standard for dressing unless you work for a company that forces it upon you. The way I see it, if you drive for a living, you should be comfortable because you will have to deal with the weather. The bus company where I work now has a uniform and I hate it!!! It is ill-fitting and boiling hot.

I understand dealing with weather as part of all of the variables that one may encounter when their occupation has them working out side. My cowboy hat shed water away from my body since the Stetson is made from 10X beaver felt for one of it's many wonder properties that includes shedding water. it. Stetson has used it in their headwear since 1865 and the underlying design and construction is large unchanged. Does wanderer ever wear a hat?
No, I don't wear hats because the top of my head is very sensitive and I'm prone to headaches. I don't mind getting a little wet when working in the weather. In fact, I like the cool feeling of rain on my bald head.

No, I don't wear hats because the top of my head is very sensitive and I'm prone to headaches. I don't mind getting a little wet when working in the weather. In fact, I like the cool feeling of rain on my bald head.
Interesting I don't mind my head get wet when it rains. I don't find it comfortable when water is going into my shirt-collar then down my back. That's putting it mildly that's one reason I wear my hat.

I usually dress for comfort, as I'm far from skinny. T shirt and jeans most days and a shirt and trousers for when I'm out with customers.

I go through cycles of colorful and subdued phases. I'm going through a dark phase at the moment and wearing lots of black.

Absolutely love my trainers, I've about 15 pairs of Nikes that I cycle between. Some quite bright others a bit more plain.

What I wear and how I look affects my confidence and happiness quite a lot, so it's probably quite easy to tell my mental state by what I wear.

I normally wear blue jeans either wrangler or Levi's since those are the only kind of jeans I find comfortable. I normally wear thick demin long sleeve shirts even in the summer time (I live in Texas) most of my shirts have mother of pearl snaps that are either round or diamond shaped. I wear a dark thick leather belt with a metal belt buck with an Eagles head on the front. I wear wool or polyester crew socks all of witch are white.

My footwear consists of my redwing workboots with a steel toe and a steel shank in the arch not much to talk about or I wear my western "Cowboy" boots. My western boots are made by Ariat, they have a round toe and a walking style straight heel finally the shaft comes up about half way up my calfs.

Finally I always wear my white Stetson cowboy hat. My hat is made from 10X beaver felt it has a silk lining. My hat is one of my favorite pieces of my wardrobe as I receive lots of complements on it and it belonged to my maternal grandfather. My grandfather bought the Stetson around the early 1980's he wore it til around 2003 when he "retired" from farmering. I've been wearing it for about a year now, the more I wear it the more I appreciate it.

Anyway how do you like to dress or what does your wardrobe consist of?
Would love to see a picture of your Stetson and your boots. I'm from the UK so these things are pretty rare here.

Would love to see a picture of your Stetson and your boots. I'm from the UK so these things are pretty rare here.

I would love to show my boots and hat. When my phone has some charge on it I will use it to upload my picture. I didn't didn't occur to me how rare western wear is in some places. I loved how you referred to my hat as a Stetson not as cowboy hat as Stetson is the technical name. I believe derbies are considerably common in the UK. I dress the way I do for the functionality, as did the cowboys, lawmen,and gunfighters did in the 19 century. Over the last 150 years it has become part of a heritage that I almost take for granted.

I would love to show my boots and hat. When my phone has some charge on it I will use it to upload my picture. I didn't didn't occur to me how rare western wear is in some places. I loved how you referred to my hat as a Stetson not as cowboy hat as Stetson is the technical name. I believe derbies are considerably common in the UK. I dress the way I do for the functionality, as did the cowboys, lawmen,and gunfighters did in the 19 century. Over the last 150 years it has become part of a heritage that I almost take for granted.
I just did a Google and realized it's a brand of fat, rather than the style - whoopsie!

I have been known to go out in public dressed in a Batman onesie with a big Cape, mask, gloves and belt.

But only on special occasions! :D

Most of the time I prefer brushed denim in multiple colors.

Someone has to die before I'll put on a necktie though.

I just did a Google and realized it's a brand of fat, rather than the style - whoopsie!
you're not wrong the brand Stetson was the first company to make what we now refer to as western style hat or "cowboy hat" though western style hat is more historically accurate since anyone associated with the west wore them not just cowboys.

The Texas Rangers have worn light colored Stetson hats as part of their dress code since the 1870's along with their riding boots, and their leather banderols with their Colt .45 service revolvers high on their side.

you're not wrong the brand Stetson was the first company to make what we now refer to as western style hat or "cowboy hat" though western style hat is more historically accurate since anyone associated with the west wore them not just cowboys.

The Texas Rangers have worn light colored Stetson hats as part of their dress code since the 1870's along with their riding boots, and their leather banderols with their Colt .45 service revolvers high on their side.
Learn something new every day.. Is there any traditional cowboys left? Living off the land..

Your Texas Ranger reference reminds me of a story about a Texas Ranger. This lawman did not carry a Colt .45 service revolver. He carried a US Model 1911, 45 cal. semi-automatic pistol. Because of the design of a 1911, it often carried "cocked & locked", hammer all the way back, safety/slide lock engaged. A citizen happed to notice that his holstered pistol was cocked, pointed to it and said "Isn't that dangerous?" The Ranger said "Of course it's dangerous, I wouldn't carry the damn thing if it wasn't dangerous". I really like stories about the famous Texas Rangers.

During the day I wear either jeans and a t-shirt or my work uniform (if I work that day). In the evening and nighttime I wear pajamas, often with an oversized red Mickey Mouse sweatshirt my brother gave me. I like to bundle up and wear a lot of clothes; I think it's a sensory thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom