• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you feel about dolphins in captivity?

what do you think about dolphins in captivity?

• Total voters
Sometimes I feel like humans are in captivity. I don't just mean prisons, I mean schools and worklaces, and stuff. I'm not saying such stuff shouldn't exist; but it is a lot like captivity.

but you choose your workplace, and if you hate it, you can leave. also, you're not required to be at work for twenty four hours. you can do whatever you want after work and on weekends.

i voted it's horrible because no one asked the dolphins what they want. some people think maybe it's not so bad, but what about what the dolphins think? maybe they think it is terrible and they cant stand it, but they cant say it.

i had a cat and i was afraid to let it out so it won't be hit by a car. he was depressed and stopped eating until i let him out, and i realized he was afraid of the noise the cars were making and would jump right back on the sidewalk. he lost all interest in life until i let him out, and then he was so happy.

captivity sucks the life out of every creature. and just for fun, it's not right. if they cant take care of themselves in the wild, that's different, but even then find them a place larger where they can roam, not a tiny pool. that's cruel.

No animal should be in captivity, I am even unable to have a dog because I'd rather see dogs live freely like wolves. On the other hand, it is required for our evolution to strip them from their freedom either for scientific purpouses or alimentary ones, but they should never be imprisoned for our fun.

i think dogs are ok as long as they're taken out for long walks three times a day, and they're happy being with their owner. i let my cat out. the window's open, and i live on the first floor, ground level. and she'd have died if i didnt take her, a sick rescue. she has both freedom and medical care, food, and love. she has it all.

i think you're right. animals shouldnt be used by us for fun purposes only. only if it's necessary. after all, they dont use us for fun purposes...

Sometimes I feel like humans are in captivity. I don't just mean prisons, I mean schools and worklaces, and stuff. I'm not saying such stuff shouldn't exist; but it is a lot like captivity.
AGREE!! Especially when you're a kid you're just property and not much better than property after you grow up because you get chained down by taxes and "duties" you never signed up for but had dumped on you. Half my comfort is knowing my little dog can go outside and run around as she pleases, can come inside when she wants (if we hear her scratching), and has a little warm bed she can snuggle in at night instead of finding some place out in the cold. We leash her at night so she doesn't sleep on the couches, but despite that the dog's got a freer life than I do!

that explains dolphin attacks in captivity like this girl for example
hqdefault2.jpg

well this ones a bad example though

I don't know if I have a problem with dolphins being held in captivity. I know that they are really intelligent creatures, however, and I would want them to have something to do- learning tricks, etc. I know keeping solitary primates (like a male baboon by himself) is considered inhumane now and I would worry about that dolphins would have some of the same social needs. I know dolphins use sonar to locate food and such and I worry about them being tortured by the extra "noise" they would get in a smaller tank- with all the sonar being bounced off the walls.

Orcas, however, I feel pretty strongly should not be put in captivity. They come from the same family of animals as dolphins- certainly nothing "killer whale" about them. I just do not see how a tank could be built that would be adequate. Nor do I see how you could have more than one in tank.

Humans put chlorine in dolphin's water? Yuck. Humans don't like chlorine, why should dolphins like it?
I am amazed that dolphins can live in such unnatural water. That is just plain wrong.

It breaks my heart to see any animal in captivity. They are wild creatures that are meant to roam about like they are supposed to in their natural habitats. Tanks and cages are not their homes. That is why I am not keen on zoos and aquariums. I despise how some of the animals are abused. Some animals live shorter lives in captivity, such as dolphins, whales, and elephants. Being in captivity also leads these animals to be more susceptible to stress and depression. Not to mention they have people coming to stare at them on nearly a daily basis. Certainly not a pleasant way to live.

I thought I would ask you guys a question how do you feel about dolphins in captivity? I personally hat it because they're surrounded by tones of people and they're in small pools but I don't mind this place Clearwater Marine Aquarium | CMA inspires passion to respect and protect our marine life and environment for future generations. because at least they are keeping them there because they cant live in the wild.
View attachment 13738
actually CMA is just as bad.

I agree that captivity is not the best place for them. They're not like dogs which have been domesticated for thousands of years (and even dogs suffer from millions of well-meaning human owners who don't understand dog or animal psychology)

Some people dislike the film Blackfish because it attacks Sea World which is actually better than most other places that have such animals. However, properly understood, Blackfish is not so much against Sea World in particular, as against captivity of such animals in general.
However, for animals that have spent their whole lives in captivity, there might not be a perfect solution. SImply putting them back into the wild without an acclimation to and education in a wild lifestyle might not work as well as one might wish.
actually SeaWorld is actually the people that run this business their the ones who control the business its all linked somehow.

I thought I would ask you guys a question how do you feel about dolphins in captivity? I personally hat it because they're surrounded by tones of people and they're in small pools but I don't mind this place Clearwater Marine Aquarium | CMA inspires passion to respect and protect our marine life and environment for future generations. because at least they are keeping them there because they cant live in the wild.
View attachment 13738

I only believe wild animals, such as dolphins, should be held in captivity when there is a high chance they will become extinct at some point. In all other cases, I do not believe in zoos or public aquariums.

I also believe that all wild animals should have their DNA samples taken and stored for future use should they become extinct.

I only believe wild animals, such as dolphins, should be held in captivity when there is a high chance they will become extinct at some point. In all other cases, I do not believe in zoos or public aquariums.

I also believe that all wild animals should have their DNA samples taken and stored for future use should they become extinct.
actually they thought of doing that with the hectors dolphin it doesn't work an animal that has complex social structures its not a good idea the best idea is a marine reserve for the animals.

New Threads

Top Bottom