• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you define autistic culture?

Wireless

While there are many autistic communities which exist online, I still struggle to understand what is the culture of autism.
When I think of the word culture I think of the many different cultures associated with different countries e.g. English culture often brings up images of Shakespeare, drinking tea, etc. When I think of France I think of fashion and wine and romantic people.
Culture seems to be about art, the stories told, the attitudes of people and so on.
But, these cultures are built up over hundred of years and more to the point all countries are filled with people of different neurological types.
However, autistic people exist everywhere, as Aspiecentral and other forums prove. There are members here from the USA, France, UK, and so on. In a way, you already have the culture of your country, even though society rejects you.
It's my belief that if neurodiversity is to be accepted then there needs to be a more solid definition of what is meant by autistic culture. People need to see that autism is not a disability.
Perhaps people should even be defined by belonging to two different kinds of culture - their culture of their country and their neurological culture. People should be allowed to choose which is the dominate culture in their life and I suspect that a person's neurology is more important.

So, here are my questions. You don't have to answer them all or any.
1. How should a neurological culture be defined? By it's way of thinking, perceiving the world?
2. How and who will decide what autistic culture is?
3. What will happen if conflicting ideas arise?
4. How will the culture of autism be expressed?
5.Can a neurological culture survive across all the different countries of the world?
6.Can a person have belong to two different types of culture - the culture of their country and their neurological culture?
7. How old is autistic culture?
8. What is autistic culture to you?
9. Is it important for neurodiversity?

I apologize for my rambling thoughts. I've been asking myself these questions for some time now.

I think we all already exist in multiple layers of cultures and subcultures, so adding one more layer isn't so revolutionary in the sense of having to figure out how to express more than one aspect of yourself. My layers of culture include geographical location (country, the part of my country, the size town, the type of neighborhood), religion/spirituality, race, family situation (married, homeschooling mom of 4 kids), AS, CSA survivor, professional affiliations...

Culture is organic. You can't box it in. Sites like this one help to keep us "honest" in the sense that we shouldn't define ourselves in opposition to others, but rather as an authentic expression just of who we are. I think our inherent goodness will emerge as we make efforts to be genuine with people, and simply seek to "know and be known."

I think 'culture' is the term used to define a set of norms, concepts and symbols shared and understood by a community, and an autistic culture would be those shared by the autistic community. But perhaps it's more helpful to talk about an autistic community rather than an autistic culture.

How do I define the autistic community? Star Trek. I have a goofy working theory that how you tell a nerd from an autistic nerd is if they're interested in Star Wars or Star Trek.

Serious answer, yes, we can be apart of many things. I exist in quite a few different labels. Southern tomboy Aspie that draws portraits and comics, reads/watches fantasy and sci fi, and games a bit. I basically alternate between the nerd community, the artistic community, and rednecks, not counting all the sub-communities of each one or any philosophical or other labels that also make up who I am. You just learn to roll with it and adapt based on who you're around. Just don't roll a 1.

Culture by definition is a learned behaviour. What makes us aspies/auties is neurological not learnt. But those characteristics draw us together as a community. So maybe as Progster suggested talking of what makes Aspie Community makes more sense.

I don't think you're rambling at all, Wireless. Your OP is really cool. It's the kind of thing I come here for.

To expound on what Progster said, the formal definition of "culture" in the social sciences is the collective intellectual products of a defined population. Since we are scattered thinly across the globe, and few of us are voluntarily affiliated at online venues or in corporeal groups, an all-inclusive Autistic culture is impossible to define and describe. I do respectfully disagree with Zurb that the biggest obstacle to doing it is that culture is learned, though, because intellectual products don't necessarily require external instruction. What we create that could be construed as culture could just be the products of our differing neurology alone. To explain, we have the gift of exploring a subject in novel and multidimensional ways that many NTs struggle to do. Some of our ability in this area actually comes from the fact that we are more resistant to external/social influence than they are. This line of thought could get complicated, so I'll just stop there and answer your questions! :p

1. How should a neurological culture be defined? By it's way of thinking, perceiving the world? I would say so. Yup. Since culture is ultimately intellectually driven.
2. How and who will decide what autistic culture is? Those who participate in voluntary affiliations large enough to become widely identified, and thus accepted as representative. Most subsequent answers will follow this angle, using AC as an example of a large voluntary group.
3. What will happen if conflicting ideas arise? We've all seen the options for how that goes. Our neurology makes us both great explorers and stubborn defenders. We may debate conflicts peacefully and come to either an agreement or an agreement to disgaree, or we may just bash each other the head with our own perspectives until all but one faction is too wounded too continue.
4. How will the culture of autism be expressed? The same way it would be in any other population. Some ideas and products will become "representative", while others will be relegated to the fringes.
5.Can a neurological culture survive across all the different countries of the world? Backing up to the big picture again: Not if it isn't describable to begin with, which it really isn't. We can only really assess this question in terms of a limited but international group like this one. With that in mind, it can if the population that creates that culture is well-maintained enough that it won't dissolve or implode. It has to be a collective effort, and wisely led.
6.Can a person have belong to two different types of culture - the culture of their country and their neurological culture? Absolutely. We each belong to a constellation of identity groups, and we each exist at the center of a many-layered social ecosystem. Each of those groups and each of those layers have a unique culture of their own.
7. How old is autistic culture? As old as autism, in the broadest sense. Zooming in, how old is AC?
8. What is autistic culture to you? The verbal culture of AC, the only place I've ever known other Aspies/autistics.
9. Is it important for neurodiversity? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Taking the question literally, no. Neurodiversity occurs at an individual level, so participation in a collective culture is not required. By my literal interpretation, a better question might be "Is participating in a collective autistic culture important for the well-being of the neurodiverse."

This was an awesome exercise. Thanks for posting this thread!

(Two sentences edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Autistic culture, especially Asperger's culture I've always felt is very "intellectual" but at the same time quirky.

There is an emphasis on speaking well too I notice. All Aspies I've met in the real world were nearly pedantic in their speech and careful to correct other people grammar.

New Threads

Top Bottom