• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with a haircut?

How do you deal with a haircut?

• Use any special equipment or tools to make haircuts easier for your child

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been cutting my own hair for the entire pandemic and will likely never go back to a hair cutting person. I'm male and like my hair cut short. Usually a #2 clippers on the sides and back and the top isn't longer than a #6.

The absolute worst things about haircuts for me are the following:

>Cut hairs on my skin after the haircut. Generally these are hairs that fall on the back of my neck, get inside my collar, etc. This sensation is one of the worst tactile sensory sensations that I can experience on the surface of my skin. When I did pay for haircuts, literally the first thing I would do after a haircut is go straight home, sitting rigidly in the car the entire time, and at home I would IMMEDIATELY take a long shower to wash off all of the hairs. As such I would always schedule haircuts at the end of the day when I could go directly home. Cutting my own hair now is easier because when I'm done after vacuuming up all the hair I can IMMEDIATELY go into the shower. With cut hairs on my skin I have an internal dialogue tied to the extremely unpleasant feeling of: "Get it off me, get it off me, get it off me, get it off me!!!!!!"

> Small talk. No offense to hair cutters but my ideal haircutter is one who doesn't do small talk and cuts hair in silence. The actual hair cutting process itself isn't stressful for me. The combing, snipping, clipping, etc doesn't stress me out and can even be relaxing, unless....

> Unless the hair cutter person nicks my ear with the clippers. That has happened more than once. No one likes to get cut.

> Finally, I have a significant sensitivity to artificial fragrance and I can not tolerate having any product put into my hair that has a chemical fragrance.

I have been cutting my own hair for the entire pandemic and will likely never go back to a hair cutting person. I'm male and like my hair cut short. Usually a #2 clippers on the sides and back and the top isn't longer than a #6.

The absolute worst things about haircuts for me are the following:

>Cut hairs on my skin after the haircut. Generally these are hairs that fall on the back of my neck, get inside my collar, etc. This sensation is one of the worst tactile sensory sensations that I can experience on the surface of my skin. When I did pay for haircuts, literally the first thing I would do after a haircut is go straight home, sitting rigidly in the car the entire time, and at home I would IMMEDIATELY take a long shower to wash off all of the hairs. As such I would always schedule haircuts at the end of the day when I could go directly home. Cutting my own hair now is easier because when I'm done after vacuuming up all the hair I can IMMEDIATELY go into the shower. With cut hairs on my skin I have an internal dialogue tied to the extremely unpleasant feeling of: "Get it off me, get it off me, get it off me, get it off me!!!!!!"

> Small talk. No offense to hair cutters but my ideal haircutter is one who doesn't do small talk and cuts hair in silence. The actual hair cutting process itself isn't stressful for me. The combing, snipping, clipping, etc doesn't stress me out and can even be relaxing, unless....

> Unless the hair cutter person nicks my ear with the clippers. That has happened more than once. No one likes to get cut.

> Finally, I have a significant sensitivity to artificial fragrance and I can not tolerate having any product put into my hair that has a chemical fragrance.
Yes, the talking used to bother me nor interested in conversation.

New Threads

Top Bottom