• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do people deal with burnout?

jason8682

I Find when im close to burn out, i persue my projects. For a while a central one has been creating a decent chess teaching platform and computer opponent application in java. I find the problem solving sort of recharges me. But i really struggle to do anything else. I can get lost in it for days and just not realise and often neglect other important thing. Im doing a degree from home and just starting a new module. Ive just lost a job and im quite low as a result. I am circling shutting down. I have had insomnia and have been struggling to shut off especially because my tablets arent working, just got a new prescription an waiting on it. But when i do sleep im sleeping a lot longer than i usually would which tends to be a sign i look out for. I will have bursts of productivity where i wake up with some fight then i take full advantage of it and do all the things that ive been neglecting. At the moment this comes in the form of sorting out a disability benefit application. My new module, looking for a job. As well as caring for myself. I cram so much in and end up 10 times worse after and its a feedback loop. What i need is to not shut down for days at a time. Im kind of obsessively drawn to my projects because i know the alternative is to replace that time with not being able to get out of bed, face people or care for myself, potentially for months if its bad. I've never known anything else i work through it. And i may not shut down if i do that, but it is as destructive to my life as shutting down is so whats the difference? I mean thinking about it i get sporadic blocks of productivity and i can manage basic care if i do work through them how i always have, but its still a major change in pace which i can't really afford right now. Is this the best i can hope for? Does anyone have any strategies that would help with this?

Last edited:
Hello @jason8682. We're discussing a very similar issue in a different thread that includes some ideas:

1. Pace yourself. Use "mini breaks" throughout the day, those 10-15 minute "time outs" in a quiet space. 45 minutes of activity, study, then take a break for 10-15 minutes, then repeat. When you take your breaks, NO activity, no phone, no games, nothing, rest, close your eyes, meditate, whatever.
2. Get yourself on a sleep schedule. Melatonin, L-theanine, chelated magnesium stack.
3. Avoid simple carbs, junk foods, sugary drinks, energy drinks, etc. All that creates cerebral inflammation, cerebral vasodilation, mental fog, and then a "crash" afterward.
4. L-theanine, methyl-B complex, N-acetyl cysteine, creatine, broad-spectrum probiotic, are helpful.

I start telling myself lies, so l can get thru the initial burnout. I also slow down all activities, house repairs, etc. Just do critical errands, and l spend time thinking about what triggers l am going thru, and filter thru them.

1. Pace yourself. Use "mini breaks" throughout the day, those 10-15 minute "time outs" in a quiet space. 45 minutes of activity, study, then take a break for 10-15 minutes, then repeat. When you take your breaks, NO activity, no phone, no games, nothing, rest, close your eyes, meditate, whatever.
2. Get yourself on a sleep schedule. Melatonin, L-theanine, chelated magnesium stack.
3. Avoid simple carbs, junk foods, sugary drinks, energy drinks, etc. All that creates cerebral inflammation, cerebral vasodilation, mental fog, and then a "crash" afterward.
4. L-theanine, methyl-B complex, N-acetyl cysteine, creatine, broad-spectrum probiotic, are helpful.
How do you feel about 5-HTP?

I Find when im close to burn out, i persue my projects. For a while a central one has been creating a decent chess teaching platform and computer opponent application in java. I find the problem solving sort of recharges me. But i really struggle to do anything else. I can get lost in it for days and just not realise and often neglect other important thing. Im doing a degree from home and just starting a new module. Ive just lost a job and im quite low as a result. I am circling shutting down. I have had insomnia and have been struggling to shut off especially because my tablets arent working, just got a new prescription an waiting on it. But when i do sleep im sleeping a lot longer than i usually would which tends to be a sign i look out for. I will have bursts of productivity where i wake up with some fight then i take full advantage of it and do all the things that ive been neglecting. At the moment this comes in the form of sorting out a disability benefit application. My new module, looking for a job. As well as caring for myself. I cram so much in and end up 10 times worse after and its a feedback loop. What i need is to not shut down for days at a time. Im kind of obsessively drawn to my projects because i know the alternative is to replace that time with not being able to get out of bed, face people or care for myself, potentially for months if its bad. I've never known anything else i work through it. And i may not shut down if i do that, but it is as destructive to my life as shutting down is so whats the difference? I mean thinking about it i get sporadic blocks of productivity and i can manage basic care if i do work through them how i always have, but its still a major change in pace which i can't really afford right now. Is this the best i can hope for? Does anyone have any strategies that would help with this?
Rest
And take more social breaks
When you are burnt out complete rest for a while

How do you feel about 5-HTP?
No experience with it. It may be converted to serotonin in some people, so it may be of benefit. Keep in mind there are several types of 5-HT receptors (1A, 2A, 4, 6, 7) each with their own distribution in the brain, but also in the cardiovascular, endocrine, and gastrointestinal system. I am not sure if 5-HTP targets all of these receptors or just some.

I would have to learn a bit more about it, but some sources claim that it is best used in conjunction with serotonin re-uptake inhibitors. To me, it implies that may help support or buffer other medication therapies. I am not sure.

Off topic: The research on psilocybin therapy is an interesting in this regard by specifically targeting the 5-HT2A receptors.

New Threads

Top Bottom